Cordless Equipment

airedale

In recent years I have been transitioning many of my power tools to cordless battery powered stuff, I love the way I can use this equipment her on the farm far away from electrical outlets for work on outbuildings and pens. I have gone with the "Milwaukee Fuel" line and have not regretted it, it has been quite some time since I have used a corded power tool.

Recently there have been additional items made to use with the Milwaukee batteries adding even more versatility, I purchased a really nice working portable fan for my tool shed which has no electrical power and gets hots as hell inside on a warm sunny day. Another nifty item is a lamp that attaches to Milwaukee batteries, using an LED bulb it is as bright as a corded lamp. There is also an 150 watt inverter allowing small plugin appliances. There is also similar items that will use Dewalt batteries.

Can have powered stuff anywhere these days.

Al

2023-06-08_085836.png

• Like 2

I was using Black & Decker cordless drills . When the batteries crapped out , it was a bit difficult finding replacements . I was able to buy some on clearance . Then I bought a newer model and they were discontinued but I got extra batteries for the drills . 

Then I bought a Milwaukee heated jacket followed by a heated vest . I bought some off brand batteries for them and they work great . Last year I bought a Milwaukee battery operated 6" chain saw . It is great when you want to clear some shooting lanes and don't want to carry a big chain saw . 

I am not ready to go GREEN but I am finding that many of the battery operated tools are lasting much better than their predecessors .

• Like 1

I have a whole shelf full of Lithium Ion batteries and chargers taking up some the rare space in my shop. Are those things actually safe. It seems that I have heard of those kinds of batteries that sometimes decide to burst into flames. Has anyone else heard anything about that kind of thing happening, or did I hear that wrong?

Doc- one of my hunting buddies told me that his nephew had a battery being charged for a drill catch on fire. A couple of months ago a logger up the road had his cell phone charging in his garage and it caught on fire. some damage in his attached garage, but the house was saved. I generally do not charge any of my cell phones or battery powered equipment unless I am on site.

Fasteddie - I have Dewalt 18volt that I have converted to 20 volt, with drills, reipricating saws, lights, and hammer drills. But I got given a new B&D 20V glue gun.. Then  got 2 sets of drills and drill drivers stupidly cheap on clearence. Actually like the B&D drills better asthey are much lighter and I am a old guy. My son liked them so he ordered a set. So between us we have 8 batteries. I have bought a electric pole saw that works pretty good and just got a B&D little chainsaw that seems to work fine for light stuff. Bought a weed eater and it was lacking in testicular fortitude so I returned that.

• Like 1

I have also acquired some outdoor power equipment that is battery powered, it is of the 40 volt Greenworks brand purchased from Northern tool. Pole saw, string trimmer, leaf blower, chainsaw and a portable compressor, it works very well for most modest chores around the home but can not go head to head with good gas powered stuff for heavy duty work.

I do like their convenience.

Al 

• Like 1

Cordless is the way to go, on job sites with multiple trades working at the same time they're no mountains of cords to trip over, save a lot of time at the beginning and end of the day rolling up cords. Buy a good brand, with the bigger batteries. I use a grinder with a masonry blade for cutting brick and block, way easier than starting a gas saw every time you need a cut. 

• Like 1

Cordless is handy when needed, I bought a 40 volt ryobi weed eater when my 15+ year old 2 stroker finally gave up the ghost . Its worked fantastic for our sized yard , big plus is wife just has to pull 2 levers and it’s running she never could get the 2 stroke started . I still prefer corded for heavy duty jobs , drilling concrete is way easier with my 1/2 inch 10 amp heavy duty dewalt corded drill it’s a beast, or cutting thick walled steel is way faster with my old craftsman  15 amp corded sawzall . 

I really like my Ryobi 18 volt cordless drill.  Not so sure on the sawzall though.  I used up the charge on both of my batteries while, working on tree stands yesterday.  

I had to cut the last few boards to length with my gas powered chainsaw.  When I ran out of boards, back in the woods, I drove the truck back up to the barn and cut the rest that I needed using a “proper”, corded circular saw.

3FDC5AFA-C79A-42B6-9D84-7EED3F932B0B.thumb.jpeg.34dccdd334c034bb952d79ac0759233d.jpeg

Many years ago, I really got pushed about cordless tools, when I ran the batteries dead on (2) of my dad’s drills, while trying to drill a single hole for a lag bolt on a tree stand.  I ended up finishing that hole with my grandfathers antique hand cranked bit and brace.

The cordless drill technology  has come a long way since then.  I’ve even done ok, using them on an ice auger.   

• Like 2

As far as run time it is all about battery AH capacity, the Milwaukee fuel tools have manufacturers producing batteries starting around 4 AH up to as high as 12 AH. My first batteries were all 4 AH and had everything I needed for the jobs I have used them for. I have been picking up bootleg Chinese clones in higher AH models and they have been working out great for me also. I have not used a corded tool in years as these fuel tools have been working every bit as good as corded.

Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorites is the Milwaukee "Hatchet", it is really a dinky electric chainsaw, I use this little guy for all kinds of chores around the farm. Very small, light and compact and will actually cut some good size limbs, especially nice for doing blind and stand work clearing small trees and branches.

Al

2023-06-23_172948.png

On 6/11/2023 at 9:05 AM, wolc123 said:

I really like my Ryobi 18 volt cordless drill.  Not so sure on the sawzall though.  I used up the charge on both of my batteries while, working on tree stands yesterday.  

I had to cut the last few boards to length with my gas powered chainsaw.  When I ran out of boards, back in the woods, I drove the truck back up to the barn and cut the rest that I needed using a “proper”, corded circular saw.

3FDC5AFA-C79A-42B6-9D84-7EED3F932B0B.thumb.jpeg.34dccdd334c034bb952d79ac0759233d.jpeg

Many years ago, I really got pushed about cordless tools, when I ran the batteries dead on (2) of my dad’s drills, while trying to drill a single hole for a lag bolt on a tree stand.  I ended up finishing that hole with my grandfathers antique hand cranked bit and brace.

The cordless drill technology  has come a long way since then.  I’ve even done ok, using them on an ice auger.   

Are those boards Chestnut?

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Are those boards Chestnut?

Yes they are, I still have lots of that stacked up in the loft of my pole barn.  It’s likely from virgin timber from the area, that was sawed up back in 1883 when my great great grandad built our old barns.

ABB348BD-EF0C-497A-A0FD-BCE51BFD27CD.thumb.jpeg.f1d066f0f8ddc40ad7520af94c721cc3.jpeg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, fasteddie said:

The safety feature is a nuisance .

I agree the "safety" feature is a PIA on every tool I own that has them. I have a bad case of trigger finger in my right middle finger, and it locks up almost every time I have to contort my fingers to accomplish the feat. I then need to use my left hand to physically pry/snap my finger back open to let go of the tool I am using. Urghh! 

I rank these so called safety features right up there with the aggravating gas can spouts of today!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

I believe some D-Bag in California developed those gas can spouts !  LOL

I never thought of that, but now think you nailed it! Probably some freaking attempt to cause so much frustration you stop using gas powered equipment. Lol

Well guess what? It just backfired. My next step will be stop mowing my huge side yard, fence it in and buy sheep. I’ll go green alright.  The sheep can mow all Summer and in the Fall we will eat the lawnmowers! 

And maybe, just maybe, I’ll put a couple feeder steers in there too, so I can add a few cow farts they are all so worried about as they fly around in their jets.

And, in the Fall,  also  fill the freezer with beef. :  )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Yes they are, I still have lots of that stacked up in the loft of my pole barn.  It’s likely from virgin timber from the area, that was sawed up back in 1883 when my great great grandad built our old barns.

ABB348BD-EF0C-497A-A0FD-BCE51BFD27CD.thumb.jpeg.f1d066f0f8ddc40ad7520af94c721cc3.jpeg

Neighbor had 2 barns salvaged quite a few years ago already. Got a good buck for the boards and beams as they were shipped out to California.  Better than money in the bank. See

11 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Neighbor had 2 barns salvaged quite a few years ago already. Got a good buck for the boards and beams as they were shipped out to California.  Better than money in the bank. See

I saved all of the lumber and beans that I could, from those  two old 1880’s barns.  I sold about a third of it, used about a third of it, and have the last third in reserve.  

Some of that is stacked  up in my pole barn loft.  I got all the extra hand-hewn posts and beams, and many of the sawed rafters stacked or leaning against walls under the pole barn’s  back porch and woodshed lean-to.  

That lean to is entirely made of materials recovered from those old barns, except for the tin roofing.  That was also “free” to me, because every bundle of gray steel used in my Stockade buildings pole barn was topped with a green sheet of the same gauge, to prevent handling damage.  I used those “greens” to cover the lean-to. 

Some of the leftover 6” and 9” square hand-hewn beams, I now have stacked under there, are 16 ft long.  If they are left outside over a winter, uncovered, they will turn to powder in a year.  I had them covered with tarps until I moved them under the woodshed/porch.  I have about (30) left under there.  
6C0DD50B-AB9C-4AA1-BA5F-C841F1FD7EA3.thumb.jpeg.5c45fe8b31e8e8b3a07a1358e6733c60.jpeg

I haven’t charged much for the beams and boards that I’ve sold, mostly to friends.  Now that I’ve got everything safely under cover, I’m in no hurry to sell more of it.  I’ve taken quite a few good bucks, in the last few years, as I was hidden behind those American chestnut walls on my deer blinds.  

• Like 2