Picked up nice Savage for the wife

Picked up this little gem today for her. She likes the fit and feel. Going to hit some targets with it tomorrow. I hope it shoots nice for her.

It's a savage axis youth muddy girl 7m 08. No accutrigger but I don't think that matters for the way it will be shot. Shots should be within 100 yards.

post-4186-0-54777600-1413166764_thumb.jp

Edited by Dan.NY
  • Like 2

Myself and my father have both been trying g to find one for my Mrs. And cant. My parents neighbors have been trying to find one for their daughter as well and cant. Dicks have had the Axis advertised but do not have ANY Axis' in stock. Cabelas will price match but they don't have any either. Guess they're just gonna have to borrow a gun this year and maybe get o e as a Xmas gift. But we probably are the only ones thinking about it ad a gift so we'll all be S.O.L. then too.

But we've obviously heard great things as well which is why we're looking for one. I hope she enjoys it as much as my Mrs would

We shot it finally and its a nice little gun. Hurt a bit more than I thought it would, but I got shoulder issues already. I debated getting 243 or this one, but decided against it.

She shot 7 rounds through it I think it was and toward the end she said she started feeling it kick.  She does like it and smiled pretty good when we picked it up. Scope is not sighted in well (or user error??) so the target only had one shot through it. Two weeks my hunting buddy and his lazer sight should do the job.  I think she was high and to the right. After I said aim low left, round went through the target, dead center but a bit high still. That was her last shot.

I would recommend getting one of these like now, if your gonna do it. Order now and pick up when it comes in. Savage rebate on this is 50.00 and I think ends Nov 1st. I hemmed and hawed about what to get her, where to buy, blah blah. Finally pulled the trigger on this a month or so ago when I heard of the rebate.  I ran into the same thing with Dicks, they couldnt order it. I called two stores, got the same answer and figured it must be true. Called Bass Pro, they jacked up the price 50.00 (due to the rebate?). They could order it though last I spoke to them.

firehunter48 if you want I can give you contact for the guy I bought from. He may be able to ship to your local Dicks.  He did not stock but had it less than a week later. I really spent lots of time tracking this gun, finding the best price, best situation for me to get it.

That's funny you guys are saying you are having a hard time finding these guns. I ordered one for my daughter in 243 youth and she loves it. I went through my local gun dealer and got a better price then I could at Dicks and Gander mt. . I know at Gander they were starting at 100 more then my actual price with tax and all. She loves shooting it and it does look preeeety to boot. But then again her shotgun is the Remington 870 shoot like you can girl gun also, which she also loves.  Right now school has gotten in the way of shooting a lot for her, so in time I am sure she will out shoot the boys just like her mother. She just waits till the shot is perfect and is not impatient or rushes the shot

mr magoo

The stock matches the upholstery nicely..<<grin>>..

Sounds like your lovely bride has a nice deer rig and you did a good job researching it.

There are many good deer calibers, but it's tough to find one BETTER than the 7mm08. I've used it in my Remington Mountain Rifle for about 15 years now.

The light weight and shorter barrels of the youth model rifle tends to increase recoil and muzzle blast somewhat, but in a standard weight rifle with a 22" BBL it is quite mild to shoot, noticeably milder than the .270/.280/30-06 class cartridges.

No mocking my 20.00 brand new garage sale couch!!! It fit just about perfect in the space, was literally brand new, and only 20.00!!! Comfy also. Talk about a score..

I had her shoot my 30-06 a few times before (very few) and it kicked her pretty good.  It kicks me pretty good and I would rather have a 7mm 08. I dont need the power of that beast. Thinking of getting lighter recoil loads for me and maybe her.   Im going to open a new topic for that. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A follow up to this.  We shot this a few times, sighted in OK. i wasnt able to shoot so good, but its a small stock and I chalked it up to that. My huinting buddy also same thing. We sighted best as possible. I also noticed the trigger SUCKS. OK not accu trigger, but I thought it should be a reasonable average trigger. Its not. You have to put some serious effort into squeezing it.

Things finally lined up to get the gun sighted with a bench, clamp device ( I dont know what its called), stable platform, the works. My hunting buddy has all that (and the skills) and we got time this past weekend to sight it in without mistake.  Unable to get it better than a 4in group at 100 yards. Very disappointing. My 30-06 shot on the same setup was excellent.  It needed a slight tweak and was ready to go.

Im going to try and call Savage to see if anything can be done. Not real happy. Anyone have any advice on how to get out of this mess, Im all ears.

Good to see humor around. Helps get me through the day. I called Savage and they said a 4in group at less than 100yards was not good. They also suggested different ammo and said there was a simple procedure for adjusting the trigger but for liability reasons could not tell it to me.  Ill be googling that here soon.

I was shooting Hornady 139grain through it. That was all I could find on the shelf when I bought the rounds.  Ill look for something different and see. Cant do anything different though for the opener on Sat.

Sometimes you need to try 3, 4, or 5 different ammo types to find the one that matches the gun.  I tried to switch from a Winchester bullet last year over to the Hornady superformance and I couldn't get a group less than 4-5" in my 25-06.  Then I tried the Hornady SST and they shot fine.  It may take some playing around.  

That's funny you guys are saying you are having a hard time finding these guns. I ordered one for my daughter in 243 youth and she loves it. I went through my local gun dealer and got a better price then I could at Dicks and Gander mt. . I know at Gander they were starting at 100 more then my actual price with tax and all. She loves shooting it and it does look preeeety to boot. But then again her shotgun is the Remington 870 shoot like you can girl gun also, which she also loves.  Right now school has gotten in the way of shooting a lot for her, so in time I am sure she will out shoot the boys just like her mother. She just waits till the shot is perfect and is not impatient or rushes the shot

mr magoo

My 12 year old daughter has the Shoot like a girl youth 20 gauge as well. All suited up for turkey in the spring .