Rage broadheads awesome.

bowtech2

post-5384-0-72273900-1413304064_thumb.jp

I have some mixed fillings on them, shot her this year with a rage (steep angle, I like to be up in the stand pretty good). It does leave a hell of a hole but i kinda think with that 2.3" cutting diameter it really slows your arrow down after impact and doesnt create a pass through that I would almost rather have.

I started using them a few years ago. So far so good. Big A$$ holes. Im trying the Rage Hypodermics this year. Pretty much the same broad head but with a one piece chisel tip shaft and shock collars instead of the O-rings.

I tried the hypos this last weekend.  Quartering away shot and the head broke two ribs on entry, exiting behind the opposite front shoulder reentered and exited again in front of opposite shoulder.  She crashed about 30yds away after hitting about 15 trees.  When we went to grab her, Phade stopped me to show me a huge piece of the lung that literally fell out before she landed in her final resting spot.  I shot slick tricks last year, but it was impressive.  I think shooting 500g arrows helps on pass through.

• Like 1

I tried the hypos this last weekend.  Quartering away shot and the head broke two ribs on entry, exiting behind the opposite front shoulder reentered and exited again in front of opposite shoulder.  She crashed about 30yds away after hitting about 15 trees.  When we went to grab her, Phade stopped me to show me a huge piece of the lung that literally fell out before she landed in her final resting spot.  I shot slick tricks last year, but it was impressive.  I think shooting 500g arrows helps on pass through.

Lee Harvey Oswald, I thought Jack Ruby shot you ages ago. I need to get me one of these broadheads if they keep punching holes in my deer after exiting and re-entering and exiting again. :derisive:

• Like 1

attachicon.gifRage.jpg

I have some mixed fillings on them, shot her this year with a rage (steep angle, I like to be up in the stand pretty good). It does leave a hell of a hole but i kinda think with that 2.3" cutting diameter it really slows your arrow down after impact and doesnt create a pass through that I would almost rather have.

Agreed! I only shoot Stingers cut on contact and pass through about every time. Rather have 2 good holes top and bottom then just one big hole on top. I also climb high!

Lee Harvey Oswald, I thought Jack Ruby shot you ages ago. I need to get me one of these broadheads if they keep punching holes in my deer after exiting and re-entering and exiting again. :derisive:

LOL - it was the angle but yes it passed through twice, once through the cavity and then again through the opposite shoulder.  Unless someone else shot at the same time.  hmmm

• Like 2

Good friend of mine has had long tracks on bucks using them and it shouldn't have been. Both bucks should have been dead in a short while. Both bucks were recovered, luckily. In both cases the shot was a broadside quartering away. at the near side rib contact both rage blades snapped off leaving pin prick exit hole.

Since we are on the Rage topic,. Has anyone heard what the DEC's take is on the NEW 3 blade Rage design? Rage feels it isn't a barbed broadhead like the last 3 blade was ruled.

LOL - it was the angle but yes it passed through twice, once through the cavity and then again through the opposite shoulder. Unless someone else shot at the same time. hmmm

Had a similar thing many years back. Went through close side ribs out the off side ribs at kind of at what i'll call the arm pit,then it went completely though the leg bone.

2 Blade Mangus ( not Stinger ) touched up,the head and was good for a few more deer.

In both cases the shot was a broadside quartering away. at the near side rib contact both rage blades snapped off leaving pin prick exit hole.

Culver, can't speak for the old rages but check out the pic I posted in the harvest thread of how the hypo tore through the ribs.  I shoot a 70lbs GT-500 with 500g arrows, so it has some kinetic energy, but I was seriously impressed.  I do question whether I would use these heads if I shot 50 or 60lbs or used lighter arrows because I have heard of people that got little penetration.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the arrow so I don't know if the head survived.  Probably part of the cover up with the whole magic arrow thing.  I did see men in three piece suits wearing earpieces searching for my arrow before I got down from the stand.  lol

• Like 1

I use Ulmer edge broadheads,went from Rage to them.Same price a little smaller hole but I get a pass through on most deer I shoot.Biggest so far was a big azz 180 lbs dressed doe 2 years back and the broadhead was stuck through a broom handle size sapling after going through her

Rage.jpg

Not sure what your setup is, but if you're shooting a lighter poundage (50-60 lbs) and a not so heavy arrow, you're prob not gonna get the pass through you'd expect. I shoot 72 lbs and around a 460 grain arrow and have never had an issue.

Don't let people try and talk smack about them. They work dawn good and put Em down. Hate when guys have had stuff to say about them cause of maybe one bad incident or being a mechanical. Used them for this is the 7th season without any negatives. They work they are proven. .. If guys like shooting little 1" and 1/8 pea shooters then have at it. I've shot many heads over 19 years and I'm done looking.

Geno

if you go through my posts you will see I was a Big fan of them

last 4 packages my crew has purchased we have had quality issues with them

heck 2 of heads out of the packages I purchased the blades were missing the tabs to hold to the O-ring

& Rage will not even answer me. I had been using Rage for about 9 seasons I have used them on Deer, Turkey, Yotes & woodchucks. just ticks me off that at $40 a package they can't even acknowledge my concerns I have spent well over $300 in Rage heads over the years but no more $$$ from me

Never tried contacting them as I never had any issues... I do not recall rage being on the market 9 seasons ago? But in any event wasn't talking about you, just making a general stagement. Way to many guys have bad things to say about rage over "one" incident or thick bad due to mechanical head. Penetration is great, I get pass through almost every shot. To many people comment based on what they think or hear low percentage answers on actual experiences. Again, not talking about you or anyone in perticular. Guys worry about Penetration but want to shoot the lightest arrows on the market, what do you THINK is going to happen. All their KE is absorbed very quickly, not the head not doing its job. I think out of all the deer I shot, all but 2 were clean pass tbroughs.

The hypodermics are a major upswing in design over the basic, original Rages. Other than opening action, there is little that is the same.

I am a big fan of Grim Reapers personally, and shoot them with 60lbs/28in around 400 gr. arrows. I've passed through all but one deer since 2010 with them. I would like to see more shoulder shot deer (ie knuckle, not the blade) with the hypodermics before saying I would shoot them, but Moog's kill was a pretty dead deer in short distance. We didn't find the arrow because it is still orbiting earth with all that KE/Momentum.

Quality issues? Quality is top notch. I saw you mentioned the o-ring which is their older design. The new improved shock collars are where it's at. I have a set of old 2 blade orings in now to use up but have you tried the hypodermics or extremes? Big difference from the oring style. They refined their design years ago with the shoulders. The head it self is designed very well for a mechanical being a rear deploying slip cam vs a cheesey over the top deploy.