A great youth hunt

Sogaard

I planned a Sunday and Monday hunt on public land for my sons, and we didn't even need to stay until Monday!  The doe was shot around 10 AM, the buck, about 5:30 PM.  Couldn't have asked for a much better first hunt with my boys.

post-1116-0-30698900-1413298402_thumb.jp

post-1116-0-08101800-1413298400_thumb.jp

• Like 11

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ryan3m
      hey guys its hunting3m, my email on my old account was hacked, and i wasn't able to get my account back. today was opening of youth season. Slept through my alarm this morning. Wasn't able to be in the woods until 7 30. Instantly heard gobbles responding to me, so me and my dad set up.  Soon we saw them, 250 yards away in the neighbors yard. 2 toms and 3 hens. Talked to them for an hour, and they haven't moved but 10 feet from where they were standing originally. Question: is there anything i could have done to bring those turkey to me (i don't have money for decoys). So we moved on, walking up the edge of a field, property border on my right (cow pasture). As i capped the ridge, there were 2 strutters, and a hen 5 yards behind the fence. I dropped down and layed on my stomach in my ghillie suit for what felt like forever, as they stared me down (5-10 yards away from me). Finally i was able to back away. I got in a good position with the cow pasture 40 yards in front of me, and started to call. Obviously these strutters only wanted the hen they were with. After another hour of watching these beautiful turkey just out of (legal) reach. we called it a day. Question 2: with my calling skills and no decoys, is there any way i would have been able to get at least 1 out of the 4 henned up gobblers we seen, to come into range.. Any advice will help 
    • By HuntingNY
      Columbus Day weekend, October 6-8, marked the state’s first youth firearms deer hunt and reports from the field indicate the youth deer hunt was a success for many junior hunters as they learned about New York’s rich deer hunting tradition under the watchful eyes of experienced mentors, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Joe Martens announced today.
      “The youth deer hunt is a great opportunity for the next generation of New York hunters and is an important step in preserving our hunting heritage while maintaining our ability to manage deer through hunting in the future,” said Commissioner Martens. “We received enthusiastic feedback from parents and excited young hunters who took part of the Columbus Day weekend. These experiences demonstrate the great value of providing this unique opportunity for junior hunters.”
      During the youth deer hunt, junior hunters (ages 14-15) with a big game hunting license were eligible to take one deer of either sex with a firearm when properly accompanied by a licensed and experienced adult.
      The number of Junior Hunting license holders who were eligible to participate at least one day of the youth hunt was 12,753. To date, junior hunters have reported taking 486 deer, though hunters have 7 days to report their kill. DEC anticipates the final harvest estimate for the youth deer hunt will be higher after all reports are in and the harvest is calculated.
      DEC Environmental Conservation Officers and wildlife staff were afield throughout the weekend, monitoring hunter activity and talking with bowhunters, small game and turkey hunters, and junior hunters about their experience during the youth deer hunt. Reports from the junior hunters were overwhelmingly positive, and other hunters reported their hunting was not affected by the ongoing youth deer hunt. Some hunters indicated that while they did not support the youth hunt when it was first proposed, their actual observations over the weekend and seeing what a positive experience it was for so many kids, has changed their minds.
      Additionally, New York’s junior hunters demonstrated why mentored youth have the greatest safety record of all hunters across the nation; no hunting related shooting incidents were reported during the youth deer hunt.
      To showcase the success of junior hunters, DEC encourages parents to submit a picture to DEC’s Big Game Hunting Photo Gallery (www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/54055.html).
      This post has been promoted to an article