What was your first deer ever ?

Slickbowht

Stoneaem2006

one of the biggest deer I was after for 4 years was shot last year by anouther hunter 300 yards from my stand I decided not to hunt that day I was about 500 yards from the shooter

I offered to help drag carry guns even take it through my property as it was a closer drag then to their truck

they were amazed I was not mad after I told them how long I have been after him

told them that was hunting & this is how I was raised

If I see anyone dragging I always offer to help either drag or carry gear

And that is why I believe there is still and more than likely will always be more good outdoorsman than bad ones....

Small doe 2008 with dads ithaca deerslayer 12ga, dad had double pneumonia with a pic line and still walked into woods to help me gut it, I can still hear my stepmother yelling at him. Best shot to date I've put on a deer, the heart was blown up from a federal fusion sabot.

Edited by Hock3y24

A doe that was taken on a deer drive with my friends. My friend and I were set up kneeling in the snow waiting for the pushers to move toward us. A few minutes later I saw the doe get up out of the hedgerow and began running right toward us. She veered off slightly, but was running perfectly broadside to us. He fired off a round, missed her. I fired off a round and missed. I fired off a second one and hit her right at the base of the neck/shoulder. Dropped her right in the snow at about 70 yards with the 1300 smooth bore. It was a great day.

It was either in 2006-2007, I am not sure I will have to check the tag this weekend when I go out to camp for Muzzleloader. But it was my first time sitting by myself and I walked down a field to the corner and sat on the rock wall. After 15 minutes or so out walked 5 deer, the first deer to go broadside took a 6mm right through the heart and plopped over like the wind pushed it over. Walked out to see it ended up being a little button buck at 178 yards, thought it was a moderate size doe, but tagged it and dragged it to the tree line and waited for some back up to help get it out of the woods.  

The 6mm was the same rifle my dad used to get his first buck, so it will hopefully be the rifle I can use for my future offspring, 

Ahh the old party permits those were the days!!!!

I got mine while hunting with my father and brother. He stationed us and then went to do the drive.  I remember it was the last weekend of the year and I thought I was getting skunked.  I was even more bummed when I saw my father walking through the brush a ways out and though well that is the end of this season.  

Then off to my left I caught movement and sure enough I had a deer sneaking through  40-50 yards out. then I saw two antlers on his head, it was a shooter.  I pulled up with my 12 Gauge 870 express and let the old X slugger go.  I saw the deer hunch run and flop over.

The next thing that went through my head was my father saying if a deer runs up behind you don't shoot or if you do shoot and he runs that way don't where your orange!!  Non friendly niehgbors.

Now I saw the deer go down so the first thing I did was took my mittens off and orange hat and went running to retrieve my deer.  Well I didn't notice but my gloves and hat fell just right (like i was laying on the ground) and my father walked up and saw the hat and gloves from a distance and though something happened.  That is until he saw me running full blast with my spike horn behind me.  He said it was hilarious  watching the deer flop over logs!!

It didn't mater that it was a spike that deer is a monster to me.

First one I hit was a doe in 1986 - not enough to drop her and my other shots missed.  A friend of the family took her down.  I was using a sxs 16 gauge.  Knicked the spine with the 00 buck shot (which is legal in that state for deer).  I was fine with letting my friend's dad taking her, after all I did not drop her or take the kill shot. 

First one dropped was a doe. 120 lbs dressed.  She fell as soon as I hit her with a 16 gauge semi using a slug.  Think that was in 1990 or 1991.

That was some nice lean meat.

My first Deer was my first year of deer hunting 97 with the bow. I woke up late it was already light out for about 45 minutes but my stand was only a few hundred yards out the back door of my grandmothers house so I got dressed and did a show stalk I made it about 150 yards away from the house when I seen a big doe sneaking threw the brush I got to about 12 yards and smoked her clean pass threw with my arrow I went back to the house to.give her time when I walked in my grandmother said back already I said I woke up late and just got a doe I went back.it 45 minutes later and had a short tracking job she ran abiut 30 yards in the direction of the house a nice and easy drag

Edited by Red

8 Pt.  1968.  First deer I ever shot at.   Turned 16 just a couple of weeks earlier.  Hunting my Uncles farm in Hornby.  I was on watch during a drive.  Sitting on a stone wall hedgerow.  I had an Ithaca Deerslayer 20 gau.  Just as I got to the wall to sit, I realized I only had 2 slugs with me.  A few minutes after drive started, the buck came out to my wall and started toward me.  As I was waiting for it to get closer, another watcher on a wall above me, close to 200 yards away started shooting at it.

The buck hung a hard left, running away from me quartering.  I fired once at about 75 yds and saw the bullet  kick up snow  near it's ass.  I led it more, fired again, and it went arse over end.  When I got to it, couldn't see any wound.  Rolled it over and still no wound.  My grandfather  gets there and and says " damn son, you gave it a heart attack."  I rolled it over again and saw just a bit of blood near its ear.  Bullet struck right behind the ear.

Some great memories for a life time that day, especially of the man responsible for turning me on to hunting; Gramps.

• Like 2