Venison Jerky

fasteddie

I had some Mesquite Marinade mix that I added to some ground venison . Mixed it in as best i could and let it set for a day . Used the Jerky Shooter to make strips to place in the trays . I put it in the De-hydrator overnight and that was too long . It came out in strips that you would not think had been ground at one time . Been pigging out on it for a couple days .

Made some more but left it in the de-hydrator for less than 5 hours . That is more pliable and quite tasty .

I buy the marinade mixes because I am too lazy to make my own .

I find it impossible to remove all the silver skin and it isnt too bad but the fat is nasty and will give any venison a nasty ,disgusting taste. I remove all fat from all the meat no matter how it is cooked becuase it gets very rancid and will feel very waxy in your mouth.....

Good luck

I wouldnt grind up deer fat with the burger. It's not the same as beef or pork. It gets nasty and adds a terrible taste to your meat IMO. Probably the taste that you had in your jerky.

I trim all the deer fat off and add a little beef or pork fat to the ground. It will taste great.

That is my experience anyway.

Fasteddie, You cut up your own deer , do you remove all the fat?? and add beef or pork??

By the way, nice doe, glad you filled the freezer.

How does everyone do it??

Usually we do put pork fat in with the ground burger with most of the fat removed from the venison.  This year for some reason we didn't.  Couldn't tell you why lol.  We just started grinding up burger and throwing it in the freezer lol.  We still have most of the fat taken off but there is some still on it.  I have to say I do enjoy the taste of plain venision with a little of the fat.  I guess I'm a weirdo LOL!!!  The jerky however was nasty and I believe it was a combination of fat/not putting in enough spices. 

Last few years, I have been taking extra time when processing to pick off small pieces of meat that would normally get tossed and I throw them in little experimentation packs. On lazy winter days,I will pull them outof the freezer,grind it up and do some creative spice mixing. Some of these projects,the dog wont even eat!!! The jerky shooter is a great fantastic tool... Someday I will hit on the magic formula for world class jerky and will live happily ever after...lol  Love the jerky,

Good luck with the rest of your season..

I trim all the fat and silver skin I can off the deer . I grind it up and put 2+ pounds per package . I don't add any fat to the burger but my son adds ground pork fat to his burger when he makes sausage .

Yeah , the Jerky Shooter is a neat tool . If I didn't know better , I wouldn't have guessed it was made from ground meat .

• 2 months later...

Gander Mtn. carries some very good jerky seasoning mixes. 

I have a bunch of them that can be made with stuff at home, will get them posted ASAP.

When we are doing ground venison, we add pork loins to the mix. I think it's a 80% venison to 20% pork ratio.

We trim all fat and as much of the silver stuff off as possible.  It clogs the grinder blades.

Then we use jerky shooters to put it in the dehydrator.  Don't over dry it!

When we do strips, of cut meat. Try to remove the majority of the silver stuff of. But, it is being cut into small strips so it's not as imperative to get it all off. 

We use the propane smoker. It only takes about 2 hours to smoke /dry a batch of jerky. 

Again, don't over dry it.

All the gamey taste i have ever had is from deer or pork fat, if you add anything add beef fat, deer fat does not disolve(liquify) at body temp so it gives a tallow taste to your  meat or jerky, pork does at body temp but does not freeze at 32dregees so the whole time it sits in your freezer it is putrifying.(the whole you can only keep venison 3-5 months myth is based  because of this). beef fat freezes at 32 and dissolves at body temp. if your making jerky use trimed venision no silverskin or fat, sliced or ground, don't show your deer off for 2-3 day before you get it cut up!! aging is only a option if you can control the temp(walk in cooler) I have had friends who know venison as gamey  and don't care for it  devower jerky and steak and ground properly cared for and never know what they are eating .

Ill give you guys 3 different ones

First Marinade:

1 lb meat

1 tsp sea salt

1 tbs fresh ground black pepper

1 tsp red pepper

1 tsp Accent

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tbs liquid smoke

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 tbs worchsershire

Second Marinade (Hawaiian):

1 lb meat

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tbs brown sugar

1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

1 clove garlic, crushed

1/4 cup pineapple juice

1/4 cup soy sauce

Third Marinade (Hot & Tangy):

1 lb meat

1 tsp sea salt

1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp onion powder

2 cloves garlic, crushed

2 tbs A1 sauce

3 tbs worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp paparica

3 tbs Tabasco sauce

Box Fan Jerky Ingredients

1-1/2 to 2 Lbs. Venison Steak

2/3 Cup Worcestershire Sauce

2/3 Cup Soy Sauce

1 Tbsp. Honey

2 Tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper

2 Tsp. Onion Powder

1 Tsp. Liquid Smoke

1 Tsp. Red-Pepper Flakes (2 if you want some Zing!)

4 (16"×20"x1") Paper Air Conditioning Filters

1 Box Fan

2 Bungee Cords

Directions

Freeze meat 4 hours then cut meat along grain.

Mix all ingredients in mixing bowl and add the venison to mixture. Marinate for 3-6 hours in refrigerator (Overnight is best)

Place meat on 3 air filters leaving the forth one to top it off. Lay box fan flat and bungee air filters with meat to fan. Place fan up-right and put on medium for 6 hours then rotate and run 4 more hours.

Jerky keeps for three years if you can keep it that long.

Do Not store in plastic bag, this will re-hydrate meat.

post-2100-131455416912_thumb.jpg

Chinese Venison Jerky Recipe

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes

1/2 cup light soy sauce

4 tbsp honey

4 Tbsp sweet red wine

6 large garlic cloves, minced

1-1/2 tbsp fresh minced ginger

1-1/2 tbsp crushed dried red pepper

1-1/2 tbsp sesame oil

1/8 tsp white pepper

3 lbs venison

Preparation

Whisk together soy sauce, honey, wine, garlic, ginger, red pepper, sesame oil, and white pepper. Pour into a heavy freezer ziptop bag.

Semi-freeze venison flat for 30 minutes. Slice crosswise against the grain into paper-thin strips, about 4 inches long and 1-1/2 to 2 inches wide. Add venison to the marinade, seal, and massage in marinade.

Arrange venison on racks in foil-lined shallow baking sheets, pieces not touching. Let dry overnight on the countertop in a cool room. (Do not refrigerate.)

Preheat oven to 250 F. Remove and replace foil lining under racks. Bake venison jerky for 30 minutes.

Reduce heat to 175 F. Bake and additional 40 minutes until lightly browned, but not burnt.

Let jerky continue to dry on the counter overnight in a cool room. Pack into airtight bags or jars for storage.

Yield: about 36 pieces

BBQ Venison Jerky

3 pounds lean venison

2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup of red wine vinegar

1/4 cup of brown sugar

1 cup of ketchup

1/4 teaspoon of cracked black pepper

1 teaspoon of onion powder

1 teaspoon of salt

2 teaspoon of dry mustard

A dash of hot pepper sauce

Before slicing meat, you may want to put it in the freezer for about half an hour and then cut into 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick strips.

Mix the ingredients to make the marinade.

Marinate the meat in the fridge overnight or for as long as you like.

Remove the strips from the marindae, rinse off and pat dry with paper towels.

Dry, bake, or smoke the meat anyway you choose until pliable.

Sweet Spicy Venison Jerky

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon garlic salt

1 tablespoon lemon juice

3 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup teriyaki sauce

1/3 cup soy sauce

1 pound venison, cut into 1/4 thick strips

Whisk together the sugar, black pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, lemon juice, liquid smoke, paprika, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, teriyaki sauce, and soy sauce in a large glass or ceramic bowl.

Add venison strips and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Mix the venison a few times as it marinates to ensure even absorption of the marinade.

Remove the venison strips from the marinade and squeeze off excess. Discard the remaining marinade. Arrange the venison on the racks of a food dehydrator so that it does not overlap.

Dry the venison on High until dry but still pliable, about 4 hours. The jerky should bend without breaking. Store the jerky in an airtight container or in a resealable plastic bag.

Microwave Venison Jerky

1/2 lb trimmed venison

1/4 tsp Salt

1/3 tsp Garlic Powder

1 tsp Accent

1/4 tsp Black Pepper

1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce

1/4 cup Soy Sauce

1/4 cup Water

6 drops Liquid Smoke

Cut meat into 1/8 inch thick strips, which is easier if it is slightly frozen.

Combine ingredients, and place with meat in refrigerator overnight to marinate.

Place the meat strips in a microwave roasting rack. Set the microwave on high for 4 to 6 minutes. After 4 minutes add time in 30 second increments.

The idea is to have a dried jerky, which means a color change from brown to dark brown, and a consistency in the meat that has changed from supple to leathery in it’s texture.

Thai Venison Jerky Recipe

2 1/2 lb Venison roast

3 tsp Coriander seeds

1 tsp Cumin seeds

1 1/2 tsp Sugar

4 tps Thai light soy sauce-aew sai

1 1/2 cup Oil Slice venison across the grain 2-3 inches in size and 1/4 inch thick.

Roast coriander and cumin seeds in a fry pan over low heat until fragrant, cool, and grind coarsely in a mortar or a spice grinder.

Combine venison and the rest of the ingredients and marinade for one hour.

Place venison pieces on a cake rack sprayed with Pam and put the rack in a foil lined cookie sheet large enough to catch any liquid dripping from the beef. Place the cookie sheet in a lowest setting oven until the venison pieces are dry to the touch and no liquid seep out when pressed (between 6-12 hours depending on the oven).

Over medium-low heat, heat the oil in a flat-bottomed fry pan and drop the beef in 5-6 pieces at a time. Fry until crispy on the outside and around the edges. Drain on a cake rack over paper towels. Keeps up to 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature. Serve alone or with cooked sticky rice. NOTE: Tenderize beef lightly with a mallet if using less tender cuts of venison. Be sure to drain the oil well. Any excess may become rancid. Cool completely before storing.