Do You Wear Hunter Orange When Getting To Your Stand?

DirtTime

Orange vest and hat in warm gun season, orange jacket & hat when cold.

Moving to a spot for Turkey on public land, orange hat, vest too if I can stash it under something once in my spot.

If in archery only area, orange hat only while it is warm out to get to a spot - just in case a turkey comes around.

Bow season I am usually an orange hat, but not always.

In gun season always an orange hat, in the stand I usually have it resting or hanging somewhere. I will also often wrap an orange safety mesh around my tree or rock. I will usually have a red/black checkered vest on too. When moving the hat goes on, the mesh around my belt, and the vest reversed to the orange side.

Turkey season is very similar to gun season.

I have always worn an orange vest walking, and used to leave it on all the time gun hunting. Even in an archery only hunting area, I  will keep the vest on moving. Even in the dark. One of the areas I am hunting this year is bow only for deer and bear, but they allow small game hunting with a shotgun. So have thought of leaving the vest on all the time hunting from the ground.

I'm going to wear orange when xbow hunting on private land. I'd rather be safe than sorry, don't want some neighbor shooting me with a shotgun thinking I'm a yote or fox sitting against a stonewall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These days with all kinds of non-bow equipment in the woods during bow season, I feel compelled to have at least a very bright blaze orange hat on as a minimum. I have seen evidence that deer do not interpret blaze orange as danger, so why not.

Fall turkey hunting on public land is a tough choice with hunter orange.  Don't want turkeys to see you, but have to worry about small game hunters covering vast areas looking for pheasant, quail, and rabbits using their dogs.

I keep an orange hat tucked away.  When temps are low, I will put orange vest under my jacket to increase visibility when necessary by opening or removing the jacket.

• 2 weeks later...

I always wear orange camo vest when on the move. All of the guys in our hunting group wear some orange when moving to or from our stands and especially when putting on a drive of any kind. We are all experienced hunters on private land but we have had guys sneak on to hunt and you just don't know what might happen.

I hunt private land that borders state land. I will always have on a blaze orange hat and vest. I want to be sure I'm seen. I use the "camo" orange with the black on orange and it seems to blend in nicely while on watch. Mainly a ground hunter,and unless I get caught moving or get winded,deer don't seem to notice at all.

Like mentioned before, deer don't really see color. Not like we do anyway. They see ultraviolet very well though. So got some UV killer for one of my vests, some spray on clothing paint, and broke up the the over all 'blob' of the vest.

After an incident this morning, I will never take off my orange vest when sitting on the ground again. There used to be a rule, "Be sure of your background/drop in hunting.".

I think they need to remove hunting small game with a shotgun from the Albany Pine Bush. At least during the deer season.

Like mentioned before, deer don't really see color. Not like we do anyway. They see ultraviolet very well though. So got some UV killer for one of my vests, some spray on clothing paint, and broke up the the over all 'blob' of the vest.

After an incident this morning, I will never take off my orange vest when sitting on the ground again. There used to be a rule, "Be sure of your background/drop in hunting.".

I think they need to remove hunting small game with a shotgun from the Albany Pine Bush. At least during the deer season.

I edited what I said in red. It's the 'burbs'. I have not one issue that you can use a shotgun in there for small game. But, maybe not during deer season.

I agree 1,000,000,000%, people should use some brains when hunting. This time of year a deer hunter might just be over a knoll, on the ground.

Anyway, I was using the reference to make a point about hunter orange. I am think of switching to chartreuse.

Edited by JustRob