'Nother Jaw Bone

so I think there's a chance he could be 3.5 but mostly think he's just an exceptional 2.5 year old.  here's why I think that, which doesn't mean it's right but my reasons none the less...

- obvious but not severe dentine line on the 3rd premolar and cusps still have crests even on the back.  at 3.5 they should be worn down more I feel.

- dentine relative to enamel of lingual crest (enamel) is at most equal on the first molar (should be more to 2x for 3.5), narrower on the  2nd molar (definitely not 4.5), and barely there on the last molar.

- secondary crests of 1st molar also still raised.

- last cusp on the 3rd (last) molar still raised on the inside (tongue side) and concave on general.  at 3.5 yrs old the outside edge (cheek side) should be worn so it slopes more toward the cheek.

- also when looking at the premolars (1st 3 teeth) they show minimal staining compared to the molars (back 3 teeth) so when they were replaced at 1 year 7 months couldn't have been too long ago.

at 172 lbs dressed, body size makes you think the buck might be 3.5 years old (myself included), but deer have different genes.  in your kid's class at school some kids are bigger and some smaller.  same thing with deer.  so I'm not ruling out 3.5 but if I was betting money I'd go with 2.5 years old.

• Like 1

so I think there's a chance he could be 3.5 but mostly think he's just an exceptional 2.5 year old.  here's why I think that, which doesn't mean it's right but my reasons none the less...

- obvious but not severe dentine line on the 3rd premolar and cusps still have crests even on the back.  at 3.5 they should be worn down more I feel.

- dentine relative to enamel of lingual crest (enamel) is at most equal on the first molar (should be more to 2x for 3.5), narrower on the  2nd molar (definitely not 4.5), and barely there on the last molar.

- secondary crests of 1st molar also still raised.

- last cusp on the 3rd (last) molar still raised on the inside (tongue side) and concave on general.  at 3.5 yrs old the outside edge (cheek side) should be worn so it slopes more toward the cheek.

- also when looking at the premolars (1st 3 teeth) they show minimal staining compared to the molars (back 3 teeth) so when they were replaced at 1 year 7 months couldn't have been too long ago.

at 172 lbs dressed, body size makes you think the buck might be 3.5 years old (myself included), but deer have different genes.  in your kid's class at school some kids are bigger and some smaller.  same thing with deer.  so I'm not ruling out 3.5 but if I was betting money I'd go with 2.5 years old.

I love nothing more than a well informed opinion.  Well done!!

Judging from the teeth I would say 3 1/2.  The first molar is still pointed but doesn't look sharp like you would see on a 2 1/2 year old.  Seems to be a bit more worn and cusp of the third molar looks more flat, although tough to tell from the angle.  Judging from the weight of the deer I would also have to say 3 1/2.  I know I read somewhere that whitetail's reach full skeletal growth in their third year, so that is when we start to see the prominent chest formation and body mass.  There aren't many 2 1/2 year olds in NY that get bodies that big at that age.  Granted I am no expert.