Possibly the biggest buck ever killed on camera

LuckyPickle123

If you look at the overall temps in Iowa for the day it was killed (Oct12), youll notice the overnight temps in the mid 30s to low 40s. Perfectly fine weather to let a deer sit overnight and still preserve the meat.

i have yet to see that be the case. how do you get the bloat smell out of the meat? my butcher will tell you to feed it to the coyotes. there is a reason to why you gut, skin, and get cooled.

i have yet to see that be the case. how do you get the bloat smell out of the meat? my butcher will tell you to feed it to the coyotes. there is a reason to why you gut, skin, and get cooled.

and in what part of that video did it look like he intentionally made a poor shot or took a low risk shot? Sure the buck wasn't 25 yards broadside, but that hunter didn't intend to make a shot where he'd have to wait overnight. Could you imagine the anxiety?

Poor and bad shots are a part of hunting and never intentional, so get off your high horse. I'm sure you've made some yourself. Whether it's a young doe, or a mature buck, nobody intends to let an animal suffer, and I can't speak for others, but I eat all the meat from my "rack bucks" just the same as I do from a young doe. More of it ends up in grind, but we eat it just the same.

• Like 1

You have yet to see what be the case? Ive left deer overnight before with zero issues as long as the weather is cold. Ive left plenty of deer hang with their skins on for days, again with no issues. Sounds to me like your butcher is keeping meat for himeslf and telling people he tossed it because it smelled bloated. Theres one born every minute from what they say...

and in what part of that video did it look like he intentionally made a poor shot or took a low risk shot? Sure the buck wasn't 25 yards broadside, but that hunter didn't intend to make a shot where he'd have to wait overnight. Could you imagine the anxiety?

Poor and bad shots are a part of hunting and never intentional, so get off your high horse. I'm sure you've made some yourself. Whether it's a young doe, or a mature buck, nobody intends to let an animal suffer, and I can't speak for others, but I eat all the meat from my "rack bucks" just the same as I do from a young doe. More of it ends up in grind, but we eat it just the same.

i think you meant to post on m&m. nowhere in this thread did i say anything about his shot. i think his shot was good not great. that deer had a hole in him leaving a trail of whole kernel corn and blood. i think he could of found that deer in 2 hours. i make lots of mistakes and i try to learn from those mistakes so i don't do it again. in my opinion, leaving a deer for 12+ hours and expecting the meat to be good is a mistake.

"Bloat smell " in the meat? you butcher doesn't know his butt from his elbow.

i've been lucky enough to deal with 10 butchers in 7 states. most of them in the rocky mountains where seasons open in july, august, and septemper. when you bring an animal in they inspect it to see if the meat is good. one of the ways they inspect it is by smell it. if it smells bad they will not take it.

You have yet to see what be the case? Ive left deer overnight before with zero issues as long as the weather is cold. Ive left plenty of deer hang with their skins on for days, again with no issues. Sounds to me like your butcher is keeping meat for himeslf and telling people he tossed it because it smelled bloated. Theres one born every minute from what they say...

the case being the one you described with night time tempertures in the 30's and 40's. i've left a deer over night with temperatures below freezing and have bloat smell throughout the meat. the butcher isn't keeping the meat for himself, he will not even take it into his shop.

You can yammer on all you want about "bloat smell" and that a deer goes bad overnight in near freezing temps, but you are wrong. Its proven every year by many guys that let deer expire over night.

Fact of the matter is, you made a completely assinine, judgemental statement without knowing all of the facts. Then you did a tremendous job at reinforcing the initial impression that you presented. Kudos.

• Like 1

75% of the butchers who pop up before the season are fly by night operations who will butcher anything you bring them.....I bet there are more foul smelling deer brought in that aren't quite fresh due to poor handling than being left overnight and get a little bloated...not to argue that proper care isn't important to good venison, but that's probably the least of the reasons that deer aren't properly cared for....and leaving a deer overnight in cool enough temperatures will not spoil it to the point of being inedible or get you turned away from a butcher.

Edited by jjb4900

LMAO that's funny!  That's a moose of a buck! 

You can yammer on all you want about "bloat smell" and that a deer goes bad overnight in near freezing temps, but you are wrong. Its proven every year by many guys that let deer expire over night.

Fact of the matter is, you made a completely assinine, judgemental statement without knowing all of the facts. Then you did a tremendous job at reinforcing the initial impression that you presented. Kudos.