Youth Bows

Paulie

Not sure if this has been asked before or if I posted this in the right spot, but can anyone give some advice on a good youth bow that is not too expensive? My nephew is trying to broaden his horizons and wants to shoot, he is 12. He is a video game junkie and was looking to try it out.....so, they don't want to buy a bow for a few hundred $$ to just sell or get rid of it. Any thoughts would be helpful, it has been a long time since i have seen a youth bow and when i started to look them up it seems as though there are many options. I know that many of you have introduced your kids to shooting or bow hunting so figured that I would ask. Anything would be helpful!

Keep it simple, I started out 60+ years ago with a fiberglass bow and arrows ( my first kill ) was with that bow a Phesant. I would try a long bow ( the longest ) the young person can hold and shoot. Arrows any thing wood, aluminum. ( pleanty around ) and cheap. If they master that then they can shoot just about anything later on.

Take them to a pro shop to get set up first.

I would agree with the longbow comment, except the draw weight. It may be hard for a youngster to hold the weight. This is just my opinion, and not meant to cause a russuss.

I forgot about the Genesis. Maybe a better choice then the Apprentice, due to the Apprentice being a split limb.

Theres also:

Barnett Vortex ( which apparently adults are using too )

High Five Scorcher

I'd agree w/ longbow, that's how I started. First I couldn't reach top then dad was strong enough to bend it and string it for me.

Ironically I shoot a youth diamond c: ok set up, been meaning to switch drop away rest for whisker biscut.

Shoots (or claims to) 300 fps at full draw (29" vs 26" or so). Good thing is that it is adjustable and super light.

Had a clean kill from ground at 40 yards first year I had it.

Shot 100 grains broadhead into a deer directly below stand and couldn't penetrate spine. Made that sound like when you miss a target for wooden backdrop and stood straight up, didn't seem to penetrate through/around bow.

Lost a deer last weekend (myriad of possible reasons) and has me questioning if I should get a grown-up bow.

It's just so much lighter and cheaper to equip: kind of like carrying a 20 gauge into the field vs a 12

Diamond Infinite Edge. (Pretty sure thats the model name) Adjustments from something like 16-30" and 20 to 65 lbs. I may be off a little on the numbers, but Im close. A kid can shoot this bow from grade school through divorce. I think they go for about 400 or less.

• Like 1

W/ youth bow, had trouble penetrating spine and thick muscle of shoulder from above/stand-horrible experience of lost/injured game.

From the ground, was able w/ light bow from ground "button hole" the animal, clean kill double lungs in and out of rib-cage.

I didn't think it would matter till it happened to me.

Not saying it's gospel, perhaps anecdotal, but I'm not shooting deer from a stand w/ my youth bow any more.

W/ youth bow, had trouble penetrating spine and thick muscle of shoulder from above/stand-horrible experience of lost/injured game.

From the ground, was able w/ light bow from ground "button hole" the animal, clean kill double lungs in and out of rib-cage.

Not saying it's gospel, perhaps anecdotal, but I'm not shooting deer from a stand w/ my youth bow any more.

I'm going to disagree with you on the youth bow being the reason for losing/injuring a deer.  And I wouldn't classify this bow as a youth bow since it is adjustable up to 30" and 70 lbs.  It's all about shot placement.  There is a minimum poundage requirement for hunting bows and I've seen pass through's with the minimum.  If you have the right set up, don't hit solid bone (leg, neck, spine, etc), you will most likely get a pass through.  Regardless if you are hunting from ground or stand.  

• Like 1

i got the diamond razor edge 3 years ago when i was almost 13, now im almost 16 and pulling back 55. Its adjusted and grown with me through the years. I dropped a doe when i was pulling back 45, she ran 30 yards if not less. I highly recommend it. 

I don't think the youth bow was the cause of the loss......many setups will fail with less than ideal shot placement.

Couldn't go through the spine. Stuck out like a pin cushion.

Archery store told me w/ youth bow, use hornets (thin broadheads), vs wasps. I shot a wasp and haven't been happy w/ penetration.

If you fish, Think of it like using a thinner hook on lighter line.

In any case just my humble experience and opinion.

Wish I had access to ballistic gel.

Can't say Bowtech diamond razor edge enough times. Such a good bow I still use mine it can be adjusted to use for youth and then grow with. Draw and pull both great for kids but can be adjusted for adult use.

I really don't think it can be beat for what its worth. And you can get a nice set up on ebay for under 300 bucks

• Like 1

my daughter has a Bowtech/diamond edge & she's 10. Been shooting it for 2 years now in winter kids league.  Awesome bow & could potentially be the only bow she needs til she's an adult. Set us back $350 w/out arrows. If in CNY, go see Bob at Wildwood Archery on Fikes Rd in Elbridge.

Hey at one point I kinda laught that I as a 6 foot 25 year old male use the same bow as your 10 year old daughter lol. But then on the other hand it proves my point to the T. Them bows are so capable of being used by anoyone.

Thats probably the only one thing in my life that I will buy and use for life and only need one.

I would agree with the longbow comment, except the draw weight. It may be hard for a youngster to hold the weight.

The longbow isn't supposed to be shot like a compound ie: held back when drawn.  It is to be shot instinctively,

Draw and shoot in one motion, maybe pause for a second when you hit your anchor point.  No sights, no release etc.