What I learned from my first true hunt today...

zeus1gdsm

1) sit pad, sit pad, sit pad

2) lose some weight

3) waterproof spray my jacket it leaks at the shoulder seams and runs down my arms.

4) pick a spot where I can see and area that is getting a lot of light. As the sun goes down fov decreases drastically.

5) sitpad sit pad sit pad

6) swamp boots rule.

7) pare down my ribs pack to carry less stuff. Just the necessities

8) hide my tags in a safer place( kids must have got. To them and I had to run a get a reprint omw to the spot.)

9) get a looser sling for extended shoulder carry.

10) sit pad sit pad sit pad

All in all a great first experience despite the rain as soon as we settled. In

• Like 4

BandQ said it perfect.  We learn every time we go out.  To me, that's part of the fun.  Since we are on this topic and you mentioned sit-pad a bunch I will mention I "WILL NOT" carry one anymore.  See, it just goes to show you, everyone does something different and what might be good for you might not for me and vice-versa.

I prefer no carry pad.  Less bulky items to carry and it forces me to stand more, meaning I will be more attentive.  I also refuse to wear any sort of glove on my shooting hand or release hand.  I do however use a quality muff with an activated hot hand warmer inside.  I have learned this through countless encounters with Deer and awkwardly fumble to get my release anchored. 

We all have our idiosyncrasies, that's the beauty of it!!!

Edited by Taylormike

Here's what I do. I carry a day pack, I took a old sleeping pad and cut a piece that fits inside the pack.it adds little weight and takes up next to no room. Now I always have a pad with me. Another benefit is if I'm packing screw in steps or other hard or pointy items ,they don't polk me in the back.

I mostly use stands I don't leave the cushions on the stands,I pack one in,when I forget that one in the pack makes do.

I need the seat cushion I can last longer without a jacket than the sitpad! I alternate sit/stand but stand too long my back starts aching. I have a top of the line foam memory one, yep I am a candy ...!

I do not wear a glove on my release hand either.

Another good tip get a wide brim hat for rainy days keeps any chance water getting down your neck.

Good luck out there and welcome to the hunterhood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you had a good time!  Invest in a waterproof shell.  It will make hunting much more fun if you are dry and warm.  I use a packable top and bottom and they are great for an extra layer when it gets cold or windy.  Good luck, have fun and be careful.