Windy morning buck down...

WNY Bowhunter

Got up in the stand this morning at 7:05 and shot this buck at 7:15!!! Honestly, I was planning on sitting in a different stand but the high winds made me try a new spot that I hung for my wife a few days ago. Not much of a story really...was sitting there and looked up to see a deer coming down the hill...it was still a bit dark so I couldn't see what it was. Checked it out through my binos...saw a nice spread and a weird right side. I stood up...grabbed my bow and waited to see what he was gonna go. He headed right towards me...went behind a tree...I drew back...he stepped out at 15 yds quartering towards me a bit...I put the pin right on his shoulder and sent the Rage hypo on its way. He tore off...made it 40 yds...chrashed into a tree (breaking his right G2 off)...got up and went down several times before his lights went out for good. He was spraying blood everywhere!!!

While he's not the biggest buck in the area, I'm happy to take him. My goal was to kill a buck no younger than 3.5 yrs old and this guy appears to be 3.5 based on his body size. He must have been either genetically deficient or had an old injury to his back left leg (didn't see anything abnormal while skinning him). Everything happened so quickly that it's kind of bittersweet to have to sit out the next three weeks...

zIMG_20141026_074916_849.jpg

9 pts total(one wierd one near the brow on the right side and a sticker on the base), 18" inside spread:

zIMG_20141026_074731_869.jpg

zsDSCN0087.jpg

• Like 27

Congrats on the nice buck!  I took a week off after I shot my buck.  I've been out a few times since, but don't feel obligated to go.  I would like to shoot another doe or 2 with my bow for the freezer though!  I'm tentatively scheduled to go to Branchport for Thanksgiving.  So if I haven't killed a buck here, I will tote the gun along and hunt one of the big boys while we are there.  Congrats again!