Here's the definition of hunting:

v.verb

1.To pursue (game) for food or sport.

2.To search through (an area) for prey.

1.n.noun

3.The act or sport of hunting.

4.A hunting expedition or outing, usually with horses and hounds

It doesn't say anything about antlers

do all animals or birds that are hunted have antlers? maybe there's a definition of deer hunting somewhere.....

Edited by jjb4900

I have killed lots of small bucks and does earlier in my hunting days. I do like the meat but don't need it to survive. As I'm getting a few years under my belt I just don't get that thrill killing spikes and small bucks anymore. Now for me it's more about the hunt itself. We don't have huge numbers where I hunt. But always at least a couple of good ones. Those are the ones I like to hunt. I have no problem passing up smaller bucks and eating tag soup if need be. Also I will never pass judgment on any hunter for killing any deer they may take. It's all good.

I have been taking my two grandsons hunting who are 10 and 12. I can't wait till the day when they kill their first spike or doe! Again, it's all good!

I am 15, and have never shot a buck before. I have passed up many spikes, many 4s, a few smalll 6s, and a basket 8. Some people may call me crazy, and it does stink not having a buck under my belt, but i am not going to shoot a young buck. Personally, i wouldnt be proud to call a young buck my first. Hoping one of the many bucks ive passed up, step past my stand a year or 2 later. I am not looking for a giant. Im looking for a mature buck with my bow.  

Mature bucks are 4.5 and older. Get a few kills under your belt then raise the bar

Enjoy the hunt and the kill. Personally I don't get the reasoning (of others - not a 15 year old) to pass 1.5's and kill them a year or 2 later when they are a little older but still not mature. Shoot what you want, but don't tell others they should pass 1.5's just so you can shoot them next year.

Edited by SteveB

A mentor of sorts once told me that he never told others how to hunt. I follow that rule 99.9 of the time unless your on my land. This year I was meat hunting and decided that anything bigger than a spike would be a trophy with the regular food source gone and high pressure all around my area. I'll pass and have passed on several moms with yearlings , yearlings and buttons( when they let me know they are buttons) I have my reasons and each hunter has their own. I think a kid shooting a yearling during youth day is awesome and a 40yr old seasoned hunter shooting one is despicable but each their own, I'm not gonna tell you how to fill your tags. And it changes also. I was in disbelief when I had for my area a huge deer come in Monday.I'm talking , knee shacking , hard to breath , I might have a heart attack big deer. Arrow deflected off a branch. I am now a antler hunter, I've worn many shoes in my life time and few things on this planet give you the adrenalin rush that a monster deer will when viewed in your sights. I live, breath, and think about this single deer now 24-7. I will find him ~~~~ and I will kill him.

I am 15, and have never shot a buck before. I have passed up many spikes, many 4s, a few smalll 6s, and a basket 8. Some people may call me crazy, and it does stink not having a buck under my belt, but i am not going to shoot a young buck. Personally, i wouldnt be proud to call a young buck my first. Hoping one of the many bucks ive passed up, step past my stand a year or 2 later. I am not looking for a giant. Im looking for a mature buck with my bow.  

Good for you young man... not for passing up young bucks, but rather for not having that "I need to kill a just any buck to prove I'm a hunter" mentality... it's a hard thing to do as a new hunter... you have a tough road ahead of you... killing mature bucks is not an easy thing... but I believe that the only way to achieve a goal is to work towards that goal... and consistently killing mature bucks comes from hunting mature bucks... good luck to you.

• Like 1

My niece has yet to shoot a buck so if a small guy comes along she can take it. Everyone else at the cabin has to look for older deer. I don't want button bucks shot at all. Doe permits were down this year also. This year two out of 4 received permits. Last year all of us had them.

My niece has yet to shoot a buck so if a small guy comes along she can take it. Everyone else at the cabin has to look for older deer. I don't want button bucks shot at all. Doe permits were down this year also. This year two out of 4 received permits. Last year all of us had them.

Should be able to get permits this year... there are extras being mailed to hunters and available to hunters across the state starting tomorrow.

dbHunter I hunt for meat and if it is 1.5 years or older and walks in front of me it takes a dirt nap. I do not pass a 1.5 hopeing for a 4.5 but if a 4.5 walks in front of me first I shoot it. Younger ones do eat better then older ones. Buck or doe if it has a lot of years on it then it will be tough and not be as tasty. Same with beef the older the animal the tougher the meat. Maybe 1.5 year old bucks make up the majority of bucks because all the older ones have been shot for there antlers leaving only younger ones. Before the hunting shows caused everyone to want decorations for there walls there was no problem seeing big bucks most hunted for meat and killed what they saw. Now a lot of guys hunt for the decoration and big bucks are getting harder to find. What other species of animal hase size or age limits on it and has that work for it.

Some guys say they will eat there tags before they kill a young deer that is fine for them. I on the other hand will not throw away my money like that. I do not go to the store give them $100 and walk out with out anything. Same with hunting I am not giveing the state $100 to get deer meet and leave it in the woods.

• Like 2

. Now a lot of guys hunt for the decoration and big bucks are getting harder to find. What other species of animal hase size or age limits on it and has that work for it.

I disagree. From what I have seen over the years there are more and bigger bucks than when I was growing up.

Look at some of our fishing regulations. Things like slot limits to protect specific age classes of fish.

• Like 2

I wish I knew.....

I've had meat in the freezer every year since 1980 something . Years back I set my own size limits for bucks,then I stopped that for awhile.

Years ago the farm went mature buck only,with somewhat loose definitions of that,I was never placed under the new rules as my spot is a ways away from the main farm .

5 or 6 years ago I was placed under the rules,and was fine with that as I've killed bucks most years but most were young,and really needed to be forced to step up my game. Since ,I've taken two that made the cut and one opps! I was ok with not taking a buck every year.

Last year was looking like the second year in a row of no buck till the last Sat. Of gun. I went to a friends land with no rules and shot a young 7pt. I was happy to take that deer!

So I have no idea,I guess I'm just a hunter .

• Like 1

I like deer meat, but if I didn't get one, no big deal.  I don't feel that since I paid $100, I'm gonna take a doe or young buck.  My $100 goes out to enjoyment of just being out there and if I get lucky to see a good one, fine.  My son has been getting one every year, so he fills up our extra freezer and draws from it when he wants some.  Getting two in a season really fills up both freezers and we give it to a lot of our friends.  I've taken my bullets and arrows for a walk many a year and have some really great memories about those times.  My luck would be if I took a spike, I'd probably have a beautiful 10 pointer standing there, watching me field dress the damn thing.  That's the best thing about hunting, it means something different to everybody. 

• Like 2

accman you do not need to spend that $100 just to be out there enjoying the woods and animals. Just go out it is free to be there what you are paying for is a chance to get some good naturally grown meat. I would rather eat venison then beef every day. I like to have 4 in the freezer and that isn't going to happen if I pass on everything. Like I said If all you want is to enjoy the outdoors then just go there is no charge for that. I enjoy the outdoors year round but when I pay to hunt I enjoy the meat.

Culvercreek those fishing regs you mention help nothing if they did then fish would not have to be restocked every year. If keeping only certain size fish worked then stocking would not be needed right?

As for more big bucks now if that were the case then why do somany hunters cry we need ar because there are no big bucks around. When there news of a big buck seen some place or that someone got a big buck everyone is talking about it and excited. When I started hunting it was no big deal to see or get a nice buck as it was more thgen likely shot for the meat.

Hunting means different things to different people we should be able to kill what we want and not hear anything about it. Yet when someones shoots a small buck for the meat they have to hear all the crap. Why u shoot such a small one, If you were a better hunter you could get a mature buck, shooting small bucks hurts the heard, you are a lazy hunter if you can not put in the work and time to get a big buck. Crap like that is said all the time. I say let everyone shoot what they want they paid for the license and I paid for mine.

• Like 1

the amount of money I invest in a license and other expenses plays no part in my need or explanation for taking any deer.....as said before, some hunters spend enough money between travel, equipment and travel to far exceed what they get back in meat from a deer. I wish I had a choice of taking any deer I choose, but unfortunately mandatory antler restrictions took care of that in my area...unlike many other areas, my license doesn't allow me the luxury of taking any deer I want, so I'm glad money or meat isn't an issue, otherwise I'd be more pissed off about the restrictions.

Culvercreek those fishing regs you mention help nothing if they did then fish would not have to be restocked every year. If keeping only certain size fish worked then stocking would not be needed right?

The reason they have to restock fish is because of all the game hogs that keep every fish in the stream or lake... and those that just feel like the catch limits don't apply to them.

I don't understand the hundred dollar license cost vs deer or number of deer killed. If I take my wife out for a nice dinner that will last about an hour and cost about a hundred dollars. Or if we go to a concert that lasts two maybe three hours and costs way more than a hundred dollars.

How can hunting for about two and a half months even if I choose not to shoot a deer, be considered a bad deal for a hundred dollars?

I will always respect the fact that we are all different and hunt for different reasons.

As long as its legal, there is no wrong way or right way, good or bad way. It's just hunting.

• Like 1

I don't understand the hundred dollar license cost vs deer or number of deer killed. If I take my wife out for a nice dinner that will last about an hour and cost about a hundred dollars. Or if we go to a concert that lasts two maybe three hours and costs way more than a hundred dollars.

How can hunting for about two and a half months even if I choose not to shoot a deer, be considered a bad deal for a hundred dollars?

I will always respect the fact that we are all different and hunt for different reasons.

As long as its legal, there is no wrong way or right way, good or bad way. It's just hunting.

I agree, if $100 is that important to you that that's the reason you take any deer, maybe the $100 should be spent on more important stuff that you need.

The reason they have to restock fish is because of all the game hogs that keep every fish in the stream or lake... and those that just feel like the catch limits don't apply to them.

And how many species really get stocked? Trout and salmon? Maybe some eyes? Slot limits and size limits are used extensively I. The saltwater and I don't believe they are stocking them. But hey. Some of these guys pay for their license so why not keep every fish they can. Lol

• Like 1

I have everything I need. I enjoy hunting and eating what it provides. As I said paying that and then not filling your tags is the same as going to a store and leaveing $100 with the cashier and walking out with nothing. If the state raised your taxes and gave you nothing or just sent you a bill for $100 dollars would you just say no big deal and have no problem with paying it. We do not go to concerts nor do we spend $100 on a dinner. We both work and bring homw more then enough money to do those and many other things. We do not spend money on such nonsense. If we want to listen to music we turn on the radio and if we are hungery we get deer meat out of the freezer and cook it. The money is not the actual issue the fact that when I spend money for something I expect to get it not let the mponey go to waste. People like you complain when the government spends your tax money on stupid stuff yet you have no prob giveing them money for nothing.

Yea that is it. It is always because people are keeping or killing the small ones. It could never be that to many are keeping and killing only the biggest ones. As I said before the decoration craze there were plenty of deer every where bucks and does big bucks. I Have said before that I shoot what walks in front of me. I have only gotten 1 decoration buck in the last 8 years. Before that I got 10 that tells me more of them were more of them walking around then sense I saw more. Now They are not seen as much meaning they are fewer that is why guys saying we need ar. This is evident by the complaints every year that there are not enough big bucks.

Ok I am done defending my self this is getting way off topic. You waste your money shoot nothing and eat nothing. I will shoot them all and let god sort them out and I will eat like a king. Good day my fine sir

I spend a tremendous amount of money on hunting last year telling my wife i will make it up on the money we save on beef.

Ate tag soup and she didnt let me hear the end of it.

This year she makes apoint of reminding me.

Every time i step in the woods im feeling the i gotta get at least one to shut her up. I agree with stubby. Dont make no sense to give money away to uncle sam for nothin