Texting in the woods.

Short Track Hunter

I downloaded an app called hunting calls for free. Pick the call you like (I use the turkey gobble) and press and hold for a few seconds and it saves to your ringtones. Then I changed my text sound to the gobble and it sounds better than a beep. Deer grunts are available as well.

I downloaded an app called hunting calls for free. Pick the call you like (I use the turkey gobble) and press and hold for a few seconds and it saves to your ringtones. Then I changed my text sound to the gobble and it sounds better than a beep. Deer grunts are available as well.

Omg.....such a great idea to use a turkey call or a deer call for a ring tone. My father calls constantly when we're both in the stand and I can never feel my phone vibrate.

The vibrate is HORRIBLY on the Galaxy S4. Even worse when u have layers on. I find myself holding onto my phone on a pocket just so I don't miss his calls. I ALMOST wish we would go back to the walkie talkies for the two of us

Everyone in my group still uses walkie talkies, but it drives me nuts when they say I am over here at so and so point, Just saw this and that, ect ect. There are people who scan the radio out by where we hunt and I hate giving up information like that, so I always text to my dad and he will have a general idea. Never really seemed to bother the deer any, but I do turn the brightness all the way down so it isn't super bright and obvious. 

Omg.....such a great idea to use a turkey call or a deer call for a ring tone. My father calls constantly when we're both in the stand and I can never feel my phone vibrate.

The vibrate is HORRIBLY on the Galaxy S4. Even worse when u have layers on. I find myself holding onto my phone on a pocket just so I don't miss his calls. I ALMOST wish we would go back to the walkie talkies for the two of us

Yea I have the S4 as well.  God Awful when it comes to having it on vibrate.  I wish that was something you could adjust.

I like the satellite images on the phone but shut off the ringer and do not usually text while hunting.  I find looking at the phone messes my long distance vision so I try not to use it while hunting.  Up north in the ADK radio is the only option as their is no cell service.

IMHO, they have decent hearing but movement is what they track with their eyesight.  Had a fun experience last weekend, after being in the woods for all of 3 minutes, had one Doe fly by about 30 yds away and then right behind it was another.  The 2nd one and I had a staring contest for about 45 seconds, then I watched it turn it's head and cock it's ears towards the sounds of my two hunting partners walking up a logging trail.  After those sounds diminished, she looked at me again for another minute or so (I was just standing there not moving) and then took about ten stiff legged steps (reminded me of a soldier goose stepping) and then relaxed and went off to join the first deer.  I love watching deer and their mannerisms in the woods.

No they can't hear that lol. I take short videos of smaller deers all the time I text as needed and have gotten deer with in minutes of sending a messsage. Heck ive shot a deer sent a message to a freind in the woods saying ones down and not even ten minutes later another doe came out the wood line.