30.06 Rifle Hunters

post-5805-0-90647000-1419770798_thumb.jpMy scope is an older Redfield 3 x 9, low-profile, widefield with a duplex reticle. I was cranked up to 9 power on that shot. I saw the buck approaching along a creek-bed from great distance, more than a mile for sure. I attempted to position myself for a shot when his path would put him at the closest distance, and I guessed that to be about 300 yards. I was positioned high above on a mountain ridge.

I would call it more "lucky" than good as far as the shooting goes. When I checked zero on the rifle prior to hunting this fall, it hit centered above the bull, 1-1/2". That was the only practice shot I took with that gun (Ruger M77).

The morning I killed the buck pictured on my previous post, on the Saturday after thanksgiving, it started out in the upper 20's at daybreak, but warmed rapidly, reaching about 35 degrees by 9:30, when I took my first shot. By the time I saw that buck, the noise of crashing ice, caused by the rising sun, sounded like thunder from down in the valley below. For my first shot, I was seated, and held firm, centered behind his shoulder. When he stopped briefly, I squeezed off the shot. He never even looked up, just continued ahead at his previous pace. That "boom" from above must have been covered pretty good by all the crashing ice.

I then got up from my comfortable chair, and followed along the ridge. When he reached another opening, I took a second, hurried shot off-hand. Again he continued on, but this time he must have noticed the "boom" because he stopped and looked up in my direction. Just as he stopped, I came to a solid tree, up on the ridge, which I rested the rifle on, while standing. This time I held about an inch below the top of his back, behind the shoulder. My thought at the time was that the range was farther than my initial estimate, so I held high.

After that final shot, he "disappeared". Just like baseball however, three strikes and he was out, as I found him after a long, round-about hike, right under the big pine tree he stood near at that last shot. I was lucky that good rest came along when it did, lucky that my rifle fed the second and third rounds smoothly, lucky that crashing ice covered the shots, and lucky to find that buck after the miles of heavy timber, and thick brush-covered creek-bottom I walked thru to get to him. The ridge was too steep to descend without climbing gear, and the creek too deep to cross, forcing me to take "the long way around". In all the excitement there, I wasn't even sure how many times I had shot, until I counted out my remaining bullets when I got back to the cabin. I took 8 in, and brought 5 out. Two of them bullets are stuck in the ground up there now I suppose, while one lays mushroomed, on a shelf out in our garage.

That wasn't my first "lucky" shot on this lucky season. I shot at one other, much smaller buck near the end of archery season, back home in the Southern zone, with my crossbow. Again, I underestimated the range somewhat at 50 yards (turned out to be 60). Check out where that arrow struck. I aimed upper lung on that shot. One thing I noticed this year, is that the more I pray to Jesus Christ, and try and do right by him, the luckier I get.

attachicon.gif247.jpgMy scope is an older Redfield 3 x 9, low-profile, widefield with a duplex reticle. I was cranked up to 9 power on that shot. I saw the buck approaching along a creek-bed from great distance, more than a mile for sure. I attempted to position myself for a shot when his path would put him at the closest distance, and I guessed that to be about 300 yards. I was positioned high above on a mountain ridge.

I would call it more "lucky" than good as far as the shooting goes. When I checked zero on the rifle prior to hunting this fall, it hit centered above the bull, 1-1/2". That was the only practice shot I took with that gun (Ruger M77).

The morning I killed the buck pictured on my previous post, on the Saturday after thanksgiving, it started out in the upper 20's at daybreak, but warmed rapidly, reaching about 35 degrees by 9:30, when I took my first shot. By the time I saw that buck, the noise of crashing ice, caused by the rising sun, sounded like thunder from down in the valley below. For my first shot, I was seated, and held firm, centered behind his shoulder. When he stopped briefly, I squeezed off the shot. He never even looked up, just continued ahead at his previous pace. That "boom" from above must have been covered pretty good by all the crashing ice.

I then got up from my comfortable chair, and followed along the ridge. When he reached another opening, I took a second, hurried shot off-hand. Again he continued on, but this time he must have noticed the "boom" because he stopped and looked up in my direction. Just as he stopped, I came to a solid tree, up on the ridge, which I rested the rifle on, while standing. This time I held about an inch below the top of his back, behind the shoulder. My thought at the time was that the range was farther than my initial estimate, so I held high.

After that final shot, he "disappeared". Just like baseball however, three strikes and he was out, as I found him after a long, round-about hike, right under the big pine tree he stood near at that last shot. I was lucky that good rest came along when it did, lucky that my rifle fed the second and third rounds smoothly, lucky that crashing ice covered the shots, and lucky to find that buck after the miles of heavy timber, and thick brush-covered creek-bottom I walked thru to get to him. The ridge was too steep to descend without climbing gear, and the creek too deep to cross, forcing me to take "the long way around". In all the excitement there, I wasn't even sure how many times I had shot, until I counted out my remaining bullets when I got back to the cabin. I took 8 in, and brought 5 out. Two of them bullets are stuck in the ground up there now I suppose, while one lays mushroomed, on a shelf out in our garage.

That wasn't my first "lucky" shot on this lucky season. I shot at one other, much smaller buck near the end of archery season, back home in the Southern zone, with my crossbow. Again, I underestimated the range somewhat at 50 yards (turned out to be 60). Check out where that arrow struck. I aimed upper lung on that shot. One thing I noticed this year, is that the more I pray to Jesus Christ, and try and do right by him, the luckier I get.

That there is one heck of a story, could be the prize winner for the year.

Hopefully a good range finder showed up under your Christmas tree this year..................................

• Like 1

I never was a big golfer (I prefer the sports of hunting and fishing which are cheaper, funner, and often provide free meals when finished).  I did play the company tournament this past summer, just to see what the fuss was all about, and because they offered lots of nice prizes and a good dinner at reasonable cost.   A friend gave me one of them cheap little golf range-finders prior to the tournament.  My plan next Memorial day weekend is to take a couple hikes with our girls (they will be 11 and 12 then), up at grandpa's cabin in the NW Adirondacks where I shot that buck. 

For the first hike, on the far shore of the creek, we will try and recover a glass gallon jug of water that Grandpa abandoned over there (he brought it and a roll of paper towels so I could clean myself up after the "bloody mess" he was anticipating, when I called him on the cell phone to bring his ATV as close as he could).   He is very particular about keeping his cabin clean (note the newspapers under the carcass in the first photo).  He could only get the ATV within a half mile or so of the site, and he carried my gun and gear out that far as I dragged the deer.  Snaking it out of the thick brush in the creek-bottom was tough, but it pulled easily on the snow up in the timber.  It was all he and I could do to lift it up onto the rear rack of his wheeler, when we reached it.  I don't know the exact weight, but I know I am 200 lbs, and I could only lift the front of the deer, before my own feet came off the ground, hanging from the pulley shown in the photo.  Grandpa's wheeler came in handy again there.

If we cant find the jug (I hate to litter), we are at least going to set a stick under that pine tree, with marks painted at the height of a golf flag (I assume they are standard).  Then our second hike will be up the ridge to find that "rest-tree", where we should be able to determine the range to the stick.  Maybe I can hint to the girls and their mother for one of them fancy laser rangefinders next Christmas.  Any recommendations on a good one?    

Ahhhhh.....wow!  I didn't know they had 240gr bullets.  Who's do you load?

Woodleigh makes a 240 grain soft point.

Sierra makes a 240 grain Matchking, but it is designed as a target bullet rather than a hunting bullet.

Barnes and Sierra used to make 250 grain .308" bullets,but no longer do.

I have never seen 30-06 factory loads with bullets heavier than 220 grain.

Sierra makes a 240 grain Matchking, but it is designed as a target bullet rather than a hunting bullet.

Barnes and Sierra used to make 250 grain .308" bullets,but no longer do.

I have never seen 30-06 factory loads with bullets heavier than 220 grain.

The 240's I had were loaded by a friend... I'm not very much into the whole hand loading stuff... so not even sure what make of bullet they were... all I know is they pack a wallop!!!!

• Like 1

I'd MUCH rather shoot three of my 80gr Barnes TTSX out of my .243 or two of 120gr (same bullet) out of the 7mm-08. 

Ain't no deer going to know the difference but shoulder will be grateful......................... :)

• Like 1

What kind of trajectory could be expected from a 240 gr bullet?  The 150 gr bullets I used were Federal Classic Hi-Shok Soft Points.  It don't look like they make them anymore however based on what I see on-line.  I still have 3 or 4 boxes and will probably go with the new Power-Shok soft points in 150 gr when I run out.  "If it ain't broke don't fix it" they say, and I hope these replacements are an improvement.        

why does the term "spray and pray" come to mind when I read some of this stuff?

One of my favorite signaturers,

"When there is lead in the air, there is hope in the heart"

Ha...I have a Woodliegh load for my 375 and 8x57.....never thought to look at the 30 cal list for a 240. Damn that is one loooong sucker.

• Like 1

What kind of trajectory could be expected from a 240 gr bullet?  The 150 gr bullets I used were Federal Classic Hi-Shok Soft Points.  It don't look like they make them anymore however based on what I see on-line.  I still have 3 or 4 boxes and will probably go with the new Power-Shok soft points in 150 gr when I run out.  "If it ain't broke don't fix it" they say, and I hope these replacements are an improvement.        

At 100 yards I would hit a 16" round steel target dead center with a 180 gr... with the 240 gr, same sight picture and aim point... I would hit 2" from the bottom of the plate... so that would be a 6" difference in drop at 100 yards... but at 50 yards there was no difference... my rifle is a single shot H&R "Handy Rifle"...