Binoculars

jjb4900

who carries them when hunting? I haven't, but with antler restrictions in my area these days, and eyes not what they once were, I need to make sure of what I'm shooting......just picked up a pair of Nikon's and am contemplating opening the box or returning them.

I wouldn't hunt without them.

This season I've been carrying a new to me pair of Swarovski 8x30 SLC that I scored off Craigslist for $400 and they were darn near new. For the past ten years I've carried Swarovski 8x32 EL 's. The EL aren't being replaced, they'll come out in a week or so from the mothballs........ :)

In my opinion, good glass is as important as your gun or bow. You'll get 365 days a year use of the glass if nothing else. Today's optics are simply amazing for the money. Yesterday I was in Cabelas checking out glass for a friend. I was amazed at a pair of Vortex Razor HD 10x42 binos........very nice bins.

• Like 1

I would not hunt without them, even when still hunting. It makes me stop and REALLY look around. It's times like then that I actually see a deer before they see me! 

Leupold binocs are only things I own right now and they're worth it. various sizes depending on what I'm doing. 

I wouldn't hunt without them.

This season I've been carrying a new to me pair of Swarovski 8x30 SLC that I scored off Craigslist for $400 and they were darn near new.

Always have a pair hunting, Nikons ride in the car all the time.

I did about the same some years ago for my Swaro SLC's(maybe 450?) . Always can find good deals on top glass and have someone else pay the retail pricing if you shop careful.

Just missed some Lieca 10x Ultravids a few weeks ago on another forum, next time I won't wait so long to type an I'll take it. LOL

I never take mine into the woods after reading this I think I'm gonna try to start taking them in they are kind of big they are monarch 3 with real tree camo I think 10x42 I got them years ago for $10 one of my old neighbors found them in the ghetto lol

Always have a pair hunting, Nikons ride in the car all the time.

I did about the same some years ago for my Swaro SLC's(maybe 450?) . Always can find good deals on top glass and have someone else pay the retail pricing if you shop careful.

Just missed some Lieca 10x Ultravids a few weeks ago on another forum, next time I won't wait so long to type an I'll take it. LOL

I remember those Nikon's and was impressed.

What'd the Ultravids go for?

I've never hunted without them. I use 8x32 for NY because I'm hunting pines mostly and can't see much farther than 100 yards. I also was blessed with 20/10 vision so that helps. For trips out west I use 10x42 which are great out to several hundred yards. Anything past that is spotting scope territory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pair of monarch 3, I am looking for something smaller to bring in the woods.

Smaller in what way?

I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 30mm objective or you'll loose to much when the lighting is low, field of view  etc.

Some might disagree but I think 8x is all you'll ever need for deer hunting east of the Mississippi.  Woodchucks hunting, bird watching, sporting events and more you can use the 10x but they are usually too big and bulky for the woods when they are bouncing around on your chest and interfering with your weapon of choice and they are always heavier.

• Like 1

I've never hunted without them. I use 8x32 for NY because I'm hunting pines mostly and can't see much farther than 100 yards. I also was blessed with 20/10 vision so that helps. For trips out west I use 10x42 which are great out to several hundred yards. Anything past that is spotting scope territory

What make binos??

What make binos??

Nothing crazy. The 8x32 for NY are bushnell. Had them since I was a kid. Don't even know what model they are. The 10x42 are Nikon something. They had good reviews, I think I got them on sale for around $200.

If I hunted out west more I would probably invest in something really good like Swarovski, Leica, etc.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I brought a 10x50 set from Dicks. I could see over a mile away, clear as day. They were heavy & too bulky. And who needs to see to the next hill top. It was ridiculous. So, maybe, I'll get a x42. Maybe

Less than 100 yards though, do you really need to use glass?? More stuff to carry around. Extra weight. I'd rather carry an extra bottle of water.

I brought a 10x50 set from Dicks. I could see over a mile away, clear as day. They were heavy & too bulky. And who needs to see to the next hill top. It was ridiculous. So, maybe, I'll get a x42. Maybe

Less than 100 yards though, do you really need to use glass?? More stuff to carry around. Extra weight. I'd rather carry an extra bottle of water.

First think......WTH did you buy 10x50's for?  That's your first mistake.  42mm objective isn't needed either.  Go 30 or 32mm next time, NO SMALLER.

You must have amazing vision if you can discern whether a deer has horns or not at 75 yards in the pines, low light or a foggy morning. 

I don't know where you are hunting but I've never carried a water bottle on a morning or evening hunt in my life in NYS or PA.  What are you expecting?  So many people these days can't leave their house without a bottle of water, how'd we survive without bottled water until it became so cool 15-18 years ago? And you'd rather carry an EXTRA bottle of water than optics?  You're kidding right?????

• Like 1

Regarding weight, binocs are probably what like 2lbs or less? A 16 oz. bottle of water is 1lb. Personally, I carry both everytime in the woods. I bring a backpack and set it on the ground next to me. My backpack has lunch, water, a drag rope, some Band-Aids, flashlight, etc.  Overall its probably less than 10lbs on my back.

Regarding weight, binocs are probably what like 2lbs or less? A 16 oz. bottle of water is 1lb. Personally, I carry both everytime in the woods. I bring a backpack and set it on the ground next to me. My backpack has lunch, water, a drag rope, some Band-Aids, flashlight, etc. Overall its probably less than 10lbs on my back.

My 8x32 are 20oz.

How far from the road are you?

Many of the deer hunters in this neck of the woods are hunting from a tree for a few hours at a crack, 1/4 mile maybe from the truck. Survival gear isn't necessary and a bottle of water isn't really needed.

YMMV

I don't know where you are hunting but I've never carried a water bottle on a morning or evening hunt in my life in NYS or PA.  What are you expecting?  So many people these days can't leave their house without a bottle of water, how'd we survive without bottled water until it became so cool 15-18 years ago? And you'd rather carry an EXTRA bottle of water than optics?  You're kidding right?????

I do bring a small bottle of water, but not to drink!  I use it to wash off knife, hands, or something else if I get it bloodied.  Sometimes I don't even use it, but I do keep some water in the backpack.

I don't understand the water to drink thing either.  If I am going to bring anything to drink, it will be in a thermos with something warm like tea or coffee.  If it's 10 degrees out, water will be frozen and make me feel even colder when I drink it, so NO water for me.  Hiking in the summer months is one thing, but hunting in freezing weather it makes little sense to bring water to drink.