Biz-R-OWorld (2014 New York Deer)

BizCT

So obviously he must think the deer was salvageable. Not bloated, stunk, or coyote ravaged.

I haven't talked to him, just got a voicemail, but with temps near 70 degrees today I wouldn't be surprised if the meat went bad. He did say it was pretty stiff. I guess when he gets to the butcher with it, he will find out. Regardless if the meat or good or not, I'm happy he found it, and I know he is very happy too.

• Like 1

Thanks all. Just got another voicemail. He found the buck around 12pm, and at 330pm he was finally back at the truck with it. I will see if he can figure out how to send me some pics tonight otherwise I will get them Wed or Thurs.

Finally talked to my Dad on the phone. Deer was an average size 2.5. Will get better pics later in week. The pic he sent me was after he dragged it through the 4' deep stream, plus it rained all night. Coyotes didn't get to it, but it didn't smell great and the butcher said it was not edible and they threw it in a dumpster after cutting off the antlers. Oh well, at least he found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11/25 and 11/26: no hunting since my Dad got his buck. I hope to hunt Thursday morning till 10am, but will see how much snow we get. 12" is what they are saying now but it's 55 degrees today so we will see.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Isn't he allowed to get another tag if the deer is deemed unfit for consumption?

I think that doesn't apply to deer you couldn't recover quickly enough.  I think that only applies to deer that were found to be diseased.  Maybe also if you dispatched a seriously injured deer that was found to be unfit to eat.

• Like 1

I'm not sure regarding a 2nd buck tag, but I doubt it. Otherwise, people could purposely let a deer rot to get a 2nd buck tag. My dad has 2 dmp tags and I have 1, but we never shoot does. Just get the tags incase we ever saw a piebald or albino doe. Regarding meet, we keep the good stuff like backstraps and donate the rest through the butcher to a food bank.