Gut shot next day recovery

damore81

Luckily I've never had to wait until the next day to recover a deer.  Honestly, I don't think I'd be very comfortable in consuming it unless the temperatures were below freezing.  I know people have probably survived after eating deer that were recovered the next day in similar conditions, but I think I'd give it a pass.  I'd tag the deer, but I doubt the meat would end up in my freezer. 

Only deer I ever recovered the next day had its hind quarters eaten by coyotes so I was scared to touch any of it...I think if its below 50 you should be ok. Thats the temp Ive been told you can leave a deer hanging over night so Im assuming your situation would be the same.

Edited by YFKI1983

so many more deer are killed and retrieved immediately and then subjected to poor handling before being butchered and consumed than there are deer ruined by being gutshot and left overnight ......don't sweat it, if it's beyond saving you'll know it when you butcher it.

im sure I'll be drawn and quartered for saying this but I think the inside tenderloins are terrible anyway, they are stringy and taste awful. Just my opinion

:swoon:

I think you can be banned for a comment like that!

I wish the entire deer was made up of inside tenderloins.....and antlers,lol

• Like 2

im sure I'll be drawn and quartered for saying this but I think the inside tenderloins are terrible anyway, they are stringy and taste awful. Just my opinion

I can't believe you said that lol. Im heartbroken for you! Just kidding man everyone's different. Hope you put that good cut of meat to good use. I normally take it from the deer and put it on the grill or fire on the spot.

I have found I do not like the inner loins as much pulled out warm and cooked right up. Always liked better later or even after frozen.

Now the two best parts on a deer the two backstraps yup, then the heart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

I can't believe you said that lol. Im heartbroken for you! Just kidding man everyone's different. Hope you put that good cut of meat to good use. I normally take it from the deer and put it on the grill or fire on the spot.

happy??09a78605c516cdf38cced6931932fdfe.jpg I grilled them with Montreal already, and they're pretty darned good! I'll eat the rest for breakfast
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...