Advice - Hunting from tree stand vs on the ground?

jrussell

Hey Guys - First time deer hunter here. I've been trying to decide whether I should hunt from my tree stand or from the ground this season. What do you guys prefer when hunting with a rifle? The land I'll be hunting on isn't heavily wooded, but its also not wide open either.

Ground or "still hunting" is very hard but you can still do it your first year out.  I have been hunting this way since 1988 and do not go into tree stands that much.  This year will be the first in a long time hunting from a tree. 

Still hunting can be very frustrating and unless your scent is covered it can be very hard.  It is also one of the most exciting ways to hunt.  So many aspect to get into I will only cover a few.  Cover more ground when conditions are good like in wet weather or slight wind but go slow.  If you cover more than 3 miles in a day you probably where going to fast.  When you stop for anything, go into cover.  Hunt with the sun to your back and wind in your face if possible.  Become skilled with your weapon.  For some reason I always seem to mess this part up!  lol  

Tree stands have many advantages.  Your scent is above the deer and they don't look up for danger as much as on the ground.  If your camo is set up with a blind you are virtually invisible and can move around more without getting busted.  Makes shots easy as the deer is usually unaware.  If your area is limited it is a must!  Safer as you are shooting usually down.  You see more deer without disturbing them!  Disadvantages:  Bathroom time, gets really cold, can be dangerous if safety harness is not used or winds kick up.

I would try both!  Set up your stand in a really good spot that has sign.  (Private land leave it up.)  Hunt it if on public land.  Then try still hunting and see which you like better.  Both are fun and exciting!  Good luck and keep us posted! 

With the rifle i prefer a tree stand. try and clear shooting lanes at a minimum. If you can't, then look for your best opportunities (openings) to shoot. I use a grunt call to stop them when possible, works most of the time. Watch them closely, look for a good potential opening, give a little grunt to catch their attention and be ready to shoot as they enter opening and stop. It sounds great, but expect the unexpected. Seize the moment, because it could get ugly fast. Make a check list, like check scope magnification, check to see if round is chambered, take safety off when ready to shoot, make sure scope is dry and snow free, don't breath on scope and fog it up, etc., etc., etc. A tree stand can be dangerous, be CAREFUL. I believe it is the best way to rifle hunt, it gives you the opportunity to see them farther off. But, they are like ghosts, I have said many a time to myself, "where did he come from".  Good Luck.

I prefer ground hunting with a gun or a bow. I don't like hunting the same spot very much. I prefer to be mobile and believe the first time you hunt a spot is your best chance. Treestands are a pain when hunting this way. Hunting off the ground is more challenging, but it can be done.

Edited by Terry

If I had to hunt on the ground, I'd use a tent, find a knoll to give you the best view of your surrounding area.  I had to use a tent at our hunting camp when my son first started, found some nice shrub oak to back into overlooking a huge area on all three sides.  Saw plenty  of deer, just couldn't grow the horns on em, but my son shot one out of my stand not to far away. My stand is a 4'x4'x7' with windows bout 5' off the ground and have good views on all 4 sides.  It's great to have one during bad weather, throw some sterno on, can move around all you want and still not be seen.  Tents will supply shelter also, and with a nice chair, you can get comfortable.  But the thrill of shooting one while mooch hunting can't be beat, nothing like it.  Good luck on whatever you decide.

You can see a larger area from a stand to cover by rifle or good slug gun.  As stated before, more-likely all shots will go to ground within your sight range, no guessing where they will end up.  Ads a safety measure.  Just like ground hunting, avoid skyline shots.  Use a safety harness to stay safe. 

If decide to use a stand, make sure gun is empty (chamber and magazine) before hauling it up/down.

It is colder sitting in a stand.  Ground hunting you can move around a bit to generate some warmth.  If wet out, be careful go up or down from the stand, can be slippery.  Of course, whose to say there is no slick spot or slippery rock to cause a fall when ground hunting - been there and done that.

I have hunted both ways.  Only taken deer from a stand so far, but if it was gun season already, would have taken a buck 40 yards away when I was looking for turkey on Saturday.

This weekend I have an appointment (the bow in hand) to be waiting for him to come by again.