Wow this is pretty darn good for L.I.

First-light

Many of the deer also live close to the shoreline. I think it's a combination of the various food sources, zero predators, back yards to bed near, and many of the larger bucks only moving at night. Any of the spots I've hunted near the water seem to have larger deer, maybe it's the salt?

The DEC wants deer killed and they don't care about age, nor should they really.  Many hunters don't either.  You trophy hunters of course do, but hunting seasons were never put in place just to satisfy you trophy hunters.

But as you see above that thats what everybody talks about. i dont hear to much talk about 7 93 inch bucks taken?  But you start talking 150 and Boom...Look at all the interest. Many use the wording...Oh im not a trophy hunter and for most thats because they have never takin one. But like it or not, for 99.9% of hunters its all about the bone but many wont admit it.

In all my years on this hunting site i have yet to see anyone write that they are going out hunting and looking to kill that big 3pt they have been seeing. Just dont happen.

Many hunters on the island take does for the meat. If I was lucky enough to see a monster buck in my area, being I might only have 1 buck tag, why wouldn't you hold off and try to get him? But ,I think most of us on the island would take a doe or a smaller buck if hunting public land. If you have private property you might wait and hope that he'll make it to next year and gain some size.

In all my years on this hunting site i have yet to see anyone write that they are going out hunting and looking to kill that big 3pt they have been seeing. Just dont happen.

Before the started AR in my area I Hunted 2 three point bucks, I wound up getting one of them, Just did not want them spreading there genes .

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here about some comments. "99.9 of hunters are just after big bucks" I totally disagree with this statement. I know so many that just want to go out enjoy and come home with some venison. Sure we all want to kill that big one but at the EOD most guys I know are happy with a doe. Last year I wasn't really following the LI deer hunter website. I would stop in here and there and really didn't come away with the way the majority hunt. This year I've been there from the get go and see that a lot of the guys shoot multiple does. There is one guy going on #9. So the guys are doing their job to help keep the population down.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here about some comments. "99.9 of hunters are just after big bucks" I totally disagree with this statement. I know so many that just want to go out enjoy and come home with some venison. Sure we all want to kill that big one but at the EOD most guys I know are happy with a doe. Last year I wasn't really following the LI deer hunter website. I would stop in here and there and really didn't come away with the way the majority hunt. This year I've been there from the get go and see that a lot of the guys shoot multiple does. There is one guy going on #9. So the guys are doing their job to help keep the population down.

This is your statement says it all....You cant tell me that about every hunter does not wake up at 4am in the morning thinking about killing the biggest beast in the woods. And about every second sitting there freezing their butts off. Yes they may take a lesser animal if the chance happens along but they are wishing for the very same animal that i, the trophy hunter, as you say does. The only difference is that i wont accept anything less than a trophy at this point in my hunting life. Does are a givin and are not even included in the word hunting for me. I harvest does and hunt trophy bucks, as many i know do.

• Like 1

This is your statement says it all....You cant tell me that about every hunter does not wake up at 4am in the morning thinking about killing the biggest beast in the woods. And about every second sitting there freezing their butts off. Yes they may take a lesser animal if the chance happens along but they are wishing for the very same animal that i, the trophy hunter, as you say does. The only difference is that i wont accept anything less than a trophy at this point in my hunting life. Does are a givin and are not even included in the word hunting for me. I harvest does and hunt trophy bucks, as many i know do.

99% of hunters are just after big bucks……………then who is shooting all the does??? Read your statement correctly!

My wife always teases me about traveling far to my hunting spot when she travels 10 min from the house to Nassau county and see's deer. Btw, that's sagamore hill in the back round, Theodore Roosevelt's homeattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Wow. That house is close. Nice deer.

I don't think I could ever hunt looking over someones back yard unless it was mine though.

Wow. That house is close. Nice deer.

I don't think I could ever hunt looking over someones back yard unless it was mine though.

Thats Federal land,Those deer can't be touched. Ironically, When Theodore Roosevelt lived in that house, 100 years ago, there were no deer any where near Oyster bay.

The mount in my avatar was done by Fish Unlimited. He does excellent work. I have no doubt that this past week has brought in many P&Y deer to his shop as well as a handful of 150"+ deer. He has been very busy since Oct 1 processing many does. A lot of which are donated to help feed the homeless. If you stop by there on any given night, you will see them working late trying to keep up.

If we're talking about the same guy.........I know the the guy on LIDH who shot nine so far very well.I hunt with him.The goal this year is to shoot 30 does between us.

Lots of speculation on this thread about how many does are killed and how many only shoot bucks and then stop hunting.

Population control.Homeowners and landowners expect results........if you dont produce on their property.........they will find someone who will.

• Like 1

Yes I too am a trophy hunter here on LI.  Each year I hunt for one special buck and each year I harvest 7 or 8 does. I fill my freezer and that of my friends, but I do hold out for that special buck. 

If you guys have taken as many as you claim, you are well ahead of most others who hunt LI.  To put down 10 or more deer takes a good bit of time, especially with a bow, so you guys obviously have a good deal of time on your hands to hunt.  The majority of hunters don't.  If the LI hunters have been doing such a great job, why is it that the deer range keeps expanding on LI??  Years ago, they were only in Suffolk, and now they are common sights in many places in Nassau county as well.  Won't be long before they start approaching Queens and Brooklyn.  Yes, every deer taken, is one less deer out there to breed, but in the scheme of things you guys are far from winning the population control battle.  I realize getting land access is a big issue, but what can you do about that?  I can understand peoples reluctance to allow hunters into their backyards.  It's hard enough getting access in rural areas these days where there's a lot more land involved, so why should anyone be surprised of the reluctance of the suburbanites on LI?  Things won't get better in that respect.

20 deer in a season is not a trmendous feat................................when you see on average 12-18 on any one sit on stand.

Lots of guys around here shoot that many and more every season.

The perception of an exploding population that is expanding it's range has alot to do with overdevelopment of existing habitat.The deer will adapt and seek out new habitat as the old is developed.

Land access is not that hard....................if you put in the time and try.

#10 was shot in a small woodlot surrounded by vineyard...........................75 feet from a house.(right now there is a monster bedded with a doe 45 yds. behind my buddy-the waiting game begins........)

That's suburban hunting.It's alot different than the gun hunting I grew up with in Columbia County.

Again...lots of misconceptions on this thread.

• Like 2

If you guys have taken as many as you claim, you are well ahead of most others who hunt LI. To put down 10 or more deer takes a good bit of time, especially with a bow, so you guys obviously have a good deal of time on your hands to hunt. The majority of hunters don't. If the LI hunters have been doing such a great job, why is it that the deer range keeps expanding on LI?? Years ago, they were only in Suffolk, and now they are common sights in many places in Nassau county as well. Won't be long before they start approaching Queens and Brooklyn. Yes, every deer taken, is one less deer out there to breed, but in the scheme of things you guys are far from winning the population control battle. I realize getting land access is a big issue, but what can you do about that? I can understand peoples reluctance to allow hunters into their backyards. It's hard enough getting access in rural areas these days where there's a lot more land involved, so why should anyone be surprised of the reluctance of the suburbanites on LI? Things won't get better in that respect.

Access. .. many many areas you can't hunt and access is key. Something as hunters we don't always get. If we could hunt anywhere things would be a lot different.