Ruger American.."CLCK!!!"

ants

I just picked one of these up in 25-06. They have gotten real good reviews but the safety on mine is louder than hell. When I take it off of safe there is a loud "CLICK" loud enough to spook deer.Its so loud that I wouldn't hunt with it. I tried to apply a little pressure to it, when I take it off safe, but it does no good.

Anyone have one of these? Is yours loud too? ..Any fixes?

My crew of 4 all have Ruger American's (2) .308's & (2) 30.06's none of them are any louder then any other tang safety's I have used slight click 

I would contact Ruger their CS is awesome & if it is an issue they will take care of it quick

Yeah..Im going to have a gunsmith I know take a look, but I might end up contacting Ruger. 

Mine is the predator version with the O.D. green stock and slightly heavier, threaded barrel. The safeties  should all be the same though.

Yeah..Im going to have a gunsmith I know take a look, but I might end up contacting Ruger. 

Mine is the predator version with the O.D. green stock and slightly heavier, threaded barrel. The safeties  should all be the same though.

I believe all they did with that model is make a heavier barrel & threaded

everything else is the same. Could be just needs to be broke in a bit. Sucks you got one like that they are a great shooting rifle for the money

Plastic stocks will amplify mechanical sounds. Sometimes a lot! Think turkey box call.

I've never looked into trying any dampening other than smothering the offending mechanism with a gloved hand. Like Gfdeputy said, working it a couple hundred times to break it in should help to take the the sharpness out of the click.

I mean how loud can it be? I could probably work the bolt on any of my bolt actions without making too much noise, so I can't imagine not being able to dampen the sound when switching off a safety.

Like snapping a dry twig. Its the loudest safety I have ever heard. I had a guy look at it this morning. He swapped out the safety button. It did the trick. Now if I apply a little downward pressure while sliding the safety forward, it is totally quiet. It took him about 15 minutes.

Nice to see you solved the problem.Was the fix under warranty ?

Not sure if it would have been or not. The guy took the button off of another American that was going back to the factory for a rusted  (out of the box) bore. That button worked great in my rifle and the button out of mine worked fine the the other. 

Not sure if it would have been or not. The guy took the button off of another American that was going back to the factory for a rusted  (out of the box) bore. That button worked great in my rifle and the button out of mine worked fine the the other. 

Just an FYI: It would have been under warranty but I think you did the right move as it would have had to been shipped back to Ruger & you would have been without your rifle for a few days

Glad you fixed it. We shot ours yesterday & still impressed with how these things shoot

Im heading out for my annual hunting trip, on Wed. so I don't have time to get it set up and sighted in for the trip. I really want to hunt with it but it might not happen this season. I still didn't want to send it back to Ruger, so Im happy.

Ants, Did it still "click" even if you kept your thumb on the safety and gently guided it into the fire position? Not flicking it lick a light switch? I has a Mossberg that did that and I was able to correct it. One reason I like the 700 safety, held between the index finger and thumb it can be slid softly into position with no sound.

Did he say if it could be "eased" into position to avoid the click?

we tried. it's a pretty hard on and off and it sits on the top near the stock. I'm used to the trigger guard ruger safeties that seem to be quieter and allow you to ease it in. I think they did away with the easing it off part to improve safety but like the OP mentioned, it's really not to groovy for a hunting rifle.

Ants, Did it still "click" even if you kept your thumb on the safety and gently guided it into the fire position? Not flicking it lick a light switch? I has a Mossberg that did that and I was able to correct it. One reason I like the 700 safety, held between the index finger and thumb it can be slid softly into position with no sound.

Yup…..I tried going gentle  and applying a little downward pressure while slowly  taking it off safe but that didn't  work..It was just a loud , deer spooking "CLICK!!!"  After I had the safety button switched, it was still kind of loud when I took it of safe, in the usual manner, but  now when I push down a little and slowly take it off safe, it is totally quiet.

Edited by ants

Belo -- I have a Winchester 12 ga that I bought in 1965 . It has the trigger guard safety that makes a noticeable click then taking the safety off . I use my thumb and finger to move it and that  pretty much silences it .

same on my browning. Like I said though, just doesn't have that wiggle in the ruger no matter how hard we tried. Again I think it's intentional.