4W Hancock

Steve936

Noodle, check out the hunting journals for my story and pictures. (Thread is called Every now and Zem) I shot an 8pt on Saturday morning at 8am. Was the 10th deer I saw that morning and also saw 3 bear.

Will probably head down Thanksgiving weekend and then for the turkey party the Friday after that. Gotta fill the doe tag.

I only heard a few shots(less than 8 ) before I fired at 7:58am. After that I lost track. They are out there. Seeking and chasing is what we saw and a few small groups of doe, with bucks either with the group, or following a few minutes behind. Only saw one doe being chased by another 8pt but no clean shot for the hunter who saw it. Keep at it though.

Edited by Zemmer18

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hunt in the southern part of Delaware county in 4W, have Long Eddy address but we are in Delaware county.

Thats for school tax , sullivan west school district.

Hunting down here wasn't too good this year. But did manage to fill doe tag. Saw plenty of does in the fields but not in the woods near my tree stand. Saw couple of spikes and one big 4 pt that was bigger than a lot of 8pt i have seen. will be a monster next year if no one shot him.

Hunt in the southern part of Delaware county in 4W, have Long Eddy address but we are in Delaware county.

Thats for school tax , sullivan west school district.

Hunting down here wasn't too good this year. But did manage to fill doe tag. Saw plenty of does in the fields but not in the woods near my tree stand. Saw couple of spikes and one big 4 pt that was bigger than a lot of 8pt i have seen. will be a monster next year if no one shot him.

I hope no one shot him as it would be illegal. There is a 3pt on one side rule in place in 4W. I ran into two hunters on our property this year that shot a deer and it ran down hill onto our property. When I came up on them,they were surprised to see me and then I found out why. They had shot a spike. I informed them it was an illegal buck and the excuses started flowing. This is the third year for 4W to have the mandatory AR and I heard this, "well the points are longer than 3 inches". I followed them to the property line and continued my hunt. I now know where their cabin is and their treestands. I will be sure to hunt that area more closely to keep an eye on things. If it happens again, it will be reported. I am still questioning why I didn't take their info this year.

I hope no one shot him as it would be illegal. There is a 3pt on one side rule in place in 4W. I ran into two hunters on our property this year that shot a deer and it ran down hill onto our property. When I came up on them,they were surprised to see me and then I found out why. They had shot a spike. I informed them it was an illegal buck and the excuses started flowing. This is the third year for 4W to have the mandatory AR and I heard this, "well the points are longer than 3 inches". I followed them to the property line and continued my hunt. I now know where their cabin is and their treestands. I will be sure to hunt that area more closely to keep an eye on things. If it happens again, it will be reported. I am still questioning why I didn't take their info this year.

You don't have to tell me I know the 3 pt rule  and have been hunting in 4W for over 20 years. But some people don't, thats why I am worried someone might shoot the big 4 pt. thinking he might be bigger.  If those guys broke the rules once they will probably do it again.

Hope your problem neighbors get caught.

• 2 months later...

So how didi the 4W crowd do this season?

I have a private club in 4W in EastBranch off Rt 30, I killed a 110lb bear opening afternoon of bow (my first ever) and a doe a week or so later. Last evening of bow I missed a very nice 8 that I had been watching since August, would have been my best buck from our mountain. Least amount of bucks I have ever seen on my trail cams this season but they were better quality. Rifle season was ok I only hunted opening weekend and saw plenty of deer just no shooter bucks. By the end of the season a member killed a huge 5 pointer that was 180+lbs and we got about 5 or 6 doe, couple of more bucks should have hung but some members have poor marksmanship/user error lol. I'm mostly a Bowhunter so I hunt 4W early season and than out on LI from mid Nov and on, was able to take a bunch of deer down here on the island.

Well you did much better than we did. We are in the part of 4W close to the Sullivan County border about 1/4 mile from my house near the Eminence rd Winery. Shot a doe last weekend of the season. Only saw two spikes the whole gun season. One of our members shot a 5pt and thats it. This is the third year of antler restriction and haven't reaped the benefits yet.

But did see more does this past season than usual. Hopefuly we have a warm March to prevent winter kill, crossing my fingers.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

No luck in East Branch this past weekend, rolled up to the camp late after Thanksgiving dinner. Got out into stand late Friday morning about 9:30-10:00, walked out at dusk only saw 1 squirrel. Saturday, was in stand by 8:00 came down for lunch from 12:00 till 1:00, again out at dusk, saw nothing besides birds. Sunday, bring lunch and tons of snacks because I am going to make a day of this. But the same crap, more rain and sleet and a jumped 3 does on walk in and a 3 pointer taunting me for most of the afternoon, again walking out at dusk. Monday, at a new spot, because the old timer down the road tells us he has seen a basket 6 in the ash pit. I take up in a blind of down trees at the edge of ash pit by 6:15, 7:15 2 does come through like they own the joint. I throw my arms up in despair by 9:30 and tap out.

Looks like I am going to get into the bow action and hopefully extend my season by a few more weekends for next year.

Ralph-0, Deer-3.          

• Like 1

On 11/29/2016 at 6:29 PM, Ralph_B said:

No luck in East Branch this past weekend, rolled up to the camp late after Thanksgiving dinner. Got out into stand late Friday morning about 9:30-10:00, walked out at dusk only saw 1 squirrel. Saturday, was in stand by 8:00 came down for lunch from 12:00 till 1:00, again out at dusk, saw nothing besides birds. Sunday, bring lunch and tons of snacks because I am going to make a day of this. But the same crap, more rain and sleet and a jumped 3 does on walk in and a 3 pointer taunting me for most of the afternoon, again walking out at dusk. Monday, at a new spot, because the old timer down the road tells us he has seen a basket 6 in the ash pit. I take up in a blind of down trees at the edge of ash pit by 6:15, 7:15 2 does come through like they own the joint. I throw my arms up in despair by 9:30 and tap out.

Looks like I am going to get into the bow action and hopefully extend my season by a few more weekends for next year.

Ralph-0, Deer-3.          

Hunting has been tough this year for me. The weather was awful. We are heading up this weekend. Hoping for decent hunting weather. Definitely get a bow you will be addicted in no time. The end of October early November is an amazing time in the woods.