State land safe,

djc225

I've always hunted my family's land and have just recently begun hunting various stay lands during bow season. I'll sometimes see 4-5 cars parked, so it's clear that others are out there.

I'm a spot and stalk or still hunting guy just don't like blinds or stands. Is this safe on state land, especially in rifle counties? I'm very hesitant. Also I feel like I'd be apprehensive to EVER shoot at anything while on public land, because in reality I can never know for sure what's behind my target.

Are my concerns valid?

Every year I see hunters in all camo on opening week of gun season in 9s,  Allegany St park. . Almost always hunters from PA and Ohio. Don't know what their common sense laws are, but we tell them all the time , they need to wear at least an orange hat  .  Ya can't fix stupid...................

• Like 1

Also I feel like I'd be apprehensive to EVER shoot at anything while on public land, because in reality I can never know for sure what's behind my target.

One of a thousand reasons to hunt from a treestand is the fact that for the most part you are shooting into the ground.

Hey.....my spel chckr ain't working again?  What gives? 

• Like 2

Also I feel like I'd be apprehensive to EVER shoot at anything while on public land, because in reality I can never know for sure what's behind my target.

Ha-ha .... is there something about private land that makes it easier to see behind a target than you can on public land? It's all brush trees and saplings, hills and gullies whether its public or private.

There is nothing about public land that is any different fro private except that there are more people. Anyone who thinks that they can be reckless just because they are on private land, may someday be surprised in a very ugly way.

I've always hunted my family's land and have just recently begun hunting various stay lands during bow season. I'll sometimes see 4-5 cars parked, so it's clear that others are out there.

I'm a spot and stalk or still hunting guy just don't like blinds or stands. Is this safe on state land, especially in rifle counties? I'm very hesitant. Also I feel like I'd be apprehensive to EVER shoot at anything while on public land, because in reality I can never know for sure what's behind my target.

Are my concerns valid?

with the distance a rifle bullet is capable of travelling, you would have to have a huge parcel of private land to be 100% sure of the bullet never leaving your property and striking an unintended target........safety is always a valid concern, but unfortunately you can never fully be 100% sure of most things in life.

Ha-ha .... is there something about private land that makes it easier to see behind a target than you can on public land? It's all brush trees and saplings, hills and gullies whether its public or private.

There is nothing about public land that is any different fro private except that there are more people. Anyone who thinks that they can be reckless just because they are on private land, may someday be surprised in a very ugly way.

Yea, my private land is just that, private. 1,000 acres and surrounded by other large parcels that others rarely visit. When I back in the deep woods I know for certain where everyone is and there is almost no possibility of someone else being out there.

Thanks to everyone who offered valid responses. Guess I'll be going out with a stand.

"state land safe" in an oxymoron, you can have safe or state land not both.....but I agree if you cover yourself from head to toe in orange it will be hard to take you for a deer. That doesn't mean you are safe..... There is always that one moron that will shoot at anything, just pray it ain't you....

It's funny. I have been hunting a quite substantial, very heavily hunted gob of state land for about 50+ years and they have never dragged a hunter dead or alive from these grounds But across the road they have had several incidents on private owned land. I don't know whether it is the myth about state lands being death traps or what, but whatever is the reason for our relatively safe state land, I hope it keeps on working. What I am afraid of is that people get so confident with their private land that they get sloppy and downright "unsafe".

I hunted the Keeney Swamp state forest 2 years a go on Thanksgiving day and my son and I had the whole place to are selves when we left there at 12noon their were no cars on any of the roads. We saw plenty of deer and no hunters. Now I didn't hunt there on opening day and i'm sure there were guys there but I can't say how many. If you look most guys are shot by someone in there own hunting party then by a stranger.

• Like 1

I hunted the Keeney Swamp state forest 2 years a go on Thanksgiving day and my son and I had the whole place to are selves when we left there at 12noon their were no cars on any of the roads. We saw plenty of deer and no hunters. Now I didn't hunt there on opening day and i'm sure there were guys there but I can't say how many. If you look most guys are shot by someone in there own hunting party then by a stranger.

SH-h-h-h-h...... Let the myth continue....lol. I too have noticed that gun season, the hunter population goes way down. Especially after opening day. And I would just as soon it kept going that way. The rumors of hunters slaughtering hunters is probably the only thing keeping state land a huntable option. The fact is that hunters are in much greater danger on the roads just driving to the state land than they ever are once the car is parked and they are on foot.

Unfortunately, bow season (The time we really need some space) has been going the other way. That's not a comment on safety, but just an observation that points out how archery hunting has become clogged on state land. Patterning and daytime deer movement is becoming a thing of the past on state land.

"state land safe" in an oxymoron, you can have safe or state land not both.....but I agree if you cover yourself from head to toe in orange it will be hard to take you for a deer. That doesn't mean you are safe..... There is always that one moron that will shoot at anything, just pray it ain't you....

Depends on the State Land, you can't make a blanket statement like that.  Where we hunt in 5H I have seen 4 other hunters in 21 years, two of them this year and two in 2007.

One brother hunts my private property the first weekend. Sometimes he hunts the Pharsalia SF in Chenango County other weekends. He has still hunted most of a day and not seen another hunter. It's big. I suspect few people get far from the road there.

I don't hunt state land - except the Forest Preserve and Wilderness Areas in the Dacks. I suspect there are some SFs that are overcrowded. I also think some people assume their limited experiences apply everywhere.

Depends on the State Land, you can't make a blanket statement like that.  Where we hunt in 5H I have seen 4 other hunters in 21 years, two of them this year and two in 2007.

OK, let me re-phrase that, state land in Dutchess, Putnam, Orange, Ulster are way more overcrowded that that land "a bit" more north... I mean I have been to Taconic Hereford (aka 909) on opening day, I think I heard less shots from the videotape my son brought from Fallujah, Iraq... I kid you not..... ADK? probably a bit different.... I will give you that.

Much ado about nothing...

You are much safer in ANY state land opening day of deer season than you are walking across any street in any city of the state any day of the year.

Wear your orange...Use common sense... You may be shot dead, but then again you may be struck by lightning also...

If you want to fret about it so much that it ruins your hunt, that is up to you..

OK, let me re-phrase that, state land in Dutchess, Putnam, Orange, Ulster are way more overcrowded that that land "a bit" more north... I mean I have been to Taconic Hereford (aka 909) on opening day, I think I heard less shots from the videotape my son brought from Fallujah, Iraq... I kid you not..... ADK? probably a bit different.... I will give you that.

Basically what I was getting at.  Some State (or County) land is mobbed and some it is very strange to see another person.  I don't think the OP mentioned a particular area unless I missed it.