Setting up for same day deer watch..?

Drew-67

Hi everyone,

I do a lot of still hunting and moving around from area to area depending on wind/conditions etc.

What is your thoughts on setting up for the same day deer watch? Is it best to just use a natural blind (tree, brush, blowdown) to blend in and wait/watch from, this is generally what I do?

Or can a Pop-up blind work well for same day set-up..I am a little skeptical about this working the same day without spooking? And lastly, what about using a portable tree stand with climbing sticks, for same day/ same afternoon hunting? This would be for firearm season..Thanks for any input.

Thanks for the helpful replies..I think I'll be trying same day hunts with my portable stand soon,,I have the wolf climbing sticks, so it's doable to pack it in and setup without to much notice and disturbance. I've used treestands a lot in the past, but generally they were larger/and or ladder stands that were put in place weeks before season...

Any thoughts on using the pop up blind? I really like that this is so easy to pack and setup in seconds..But skeptical of being able to blend it in on the ground for same day hunting, thoughts?

So while still hunting the last time I found a nice spot that I wanted to set up at..So I made a plan to set my portable stand up there today and had planned to leave the stand and just remove my climbing sticks,,I figured on hunting it tomorrow afternoon and maybe the weekend, as my time restraints didn't allow it today..

Anyway, I get to the spot and wouldn't you know it, two deer..I believe does, standing there maybe 30yds and didn't seem in any hurry to move. They were upwind and we had a starring contest..

After a bit they walked off..I debated on continuing with my plan of setting the stand. But figured it was obviously a good spot and they never seemed to spook..no snorting nothing.

Let's hope I made the right decision. Thoughts?

I still use my pop-up tent from time to time, could of used it tomorrow cause we've heard there's a big buck in the area up north, but I've set up early at 5:00am, can't see everything that's around you that early,  and haven't placed it in the best area.  I just want it up and ready, less noise.  Deer have come by, noticed that something is there that shouldn't be there, and steer clear of the area.  If I had gone up and placed it where I wanted a few weeks ago, (hoping that it'd still be there), the deer might get use to the sight and smell of it. But since that's not the case, I'd rather hunt Westchester where I know we seen some nice bucks, I'm only hunting half the day, so I'll stay local.  I always think getting a ground blind ready weeks before is 100% better than winging it.  But, others here, have had luck, rightfully so, setting up that morning and not being noticed.  This can happen specially during the rutting period where they could run right up to you standing there and not even care if your there or not.  Good luck either way.

• Like 1