The 'Burbs'

DirtTime

This is the first year I have hunted the suburbs. I mean where you hear a lot of cars trucks, and so on.  I still prefer to drive to the woods where you may hear a distant car, but not often. Never hunted the top part of the ADK's. Hoping to get to do that next September for early bow.

I can't get used to hearing cars and even a radio from time to time.

I was in one of my local spots this Sunday afternoon. I park in my friends driveway, walk through his back yard and cross a stream to where I hunt. I can hear cars driving in and out, kids playing in the yards, leaf blowers, lawnmowers, etc. very clearly. 

I got in my stand at 2:00 and not 5 minutes later a couple of does are headed my way, but not in bow range. They were in the area for an hour and never even looked at the guy with the leaf blower that was 150 yds. away on the other side of the stream. Now if that guy stopped blowing and crossed the stream, they would perk right up and be gone. 

They will tolerate a certain amount of human intrusion, but once you cross over to "their" side, they are still very wary.

• Like 1

I was in one of my local spots this Sunday afternoon. I park in my friends driveway, walk through his back yard and cross a stream to where I hunt. I can hear cars driving in and out, kids playing in the yards, leaf blowers, lawnmowers, etc. very clearly. 

I got in my stand at 2:00 and not 5 minutes later a couple of does are headed my way, but not in bow range. They were in the area for an hour and never even looked at the guy with the leaf blower that was 150 yds. away on the other side of the stream. Now if that guy stopped blowing and crossed the stream, they would perk right up and be gone. 

They will tolerate a certain amount of human intrusion, but once you cross over to "their" side, they are still very wary.

That's for sure. When me and my buddy started getting wood piled in for our camping spot on his dads land last June, I noticed they had bedded down about 10 yards from our fire pit. There were at least 10 dropping piles. I sat the area two weeks ago in the morning and didn't see a thing. They are on the other side in the thick stuff by the swamp now.

I have seen some deer on the public land, but never in range. Watched 3 does mosey along the rr tracks about 100 yds going away from me three weeks ago or so.

I live in SI. We have some beautiful deer...and no hunting allowed.  As the population gets more and more out of control, it was be interesting to see how they deal with it.  And by interesting, I mean a huge waste of tax payer money instead of making it a revenue generator.

I live in SI. We have some beautiful deer...and no hunting allowed.  As the population gets more and more out of control, it was be interesting to see how they deal with it.  And by interesting, I mean a huge waste of tax payer money instead of making it a revenue generator.

I know one way they will NOT be dealing with it is by allowing sport hunting.  That would mean legalizing hunting within one of the boroughs of NYC.  Will NEVER happen!!

I hunt in Suffolk all the time and usually no more than 40 mins away from home but i could go further east too. It's not my ideal hunting situation but it isn't horrible like many imagine. On quiet winter days when my wife has something to do and now that my kids are older and have their own way of getting around I keep the basic hunting stuff in a large plastic bin so I can just throw it in the back of the car and Go!

My cousin a member at the Richmond gun club tells me deer and Turkey routinely wander onto their gun range and everyone has to stop shooting, apparently they are so use to the gunfire they fear it not at all.

Edited by EspressoBuzz

Live in the 'burbs but not hunt there. Houses too close, have a LEO and a judge as neighbors.  We have a flock of geese that took up residence in center of town in a park - a safe zone for them.

I drive to one a few state lands within an hour from home.  Sometimes driving looking for a spot for an hour on state land on top of that.

I'm from Yonkers, it's 40 minutes to an hour for bowhunting and rifle.  But the rifle is nice and quiet when you go in, over 600 acres.  When I'm bowhunting, I'm near a main highway or road and there's cars, tractor-trailers, & motorcycles   It's a wonder the deer can freakin hear anything, but make one small sound, they're gone.  They have to shut out the traffic, which is why a lot of em end up as road kill.

Edited by accman

The craziest part is, I'll be heading up to hunting camp this weekend, see just a couple, no bucks, and when I come home on the Sprain Parkway field by Ridge Hill in Yonkers, they'll all be out there waving their hoofs saying, "Na, na, na, na, naaahh!!!"  It's just not fair, big bucks to boot.  They must know there's no hunting south of 287. 

I hunt locally in the 'burbs in archery only areas. My sites are generally within a 5min drive & I'm a little more comfortable on public land that is archery only. All the areas I spend time in have serious overpopulation problems with whitetail, so I'm hoping to help out with population control a bit. That said, I haven't brought anything down yet since picking up bowhunting last year.   

• Like 1

I just have to get used to the noises. Big issue is they keep clearing more and more of the area I hunt locally. I know there are deer in there. But I think the bow hunters outnumber the deer 5 to 1.

I also can't get used to being in a spot, and after the sun is up watching someone sit down or set up a climber 75 yards from me.

:wacko: