Bear for the book with flint arrowhead

Huntswithstone

Awesome bear. Appreciate it even more as my buddy only primitive bow hunts and i know how tough that is !

Dumb question : where does a bear that size or any size hibernate for the winter in NY ?

A lot of them don't.  I have seen bear on my trail cameras year round.

I don't think NY is a good hibernation state outside of the adirnondack mountains.  Just my opinion.

WOW  that is incredible.  I hunted pretty hard for a bear this year, but only had a sow and cubs come in.  

Hopefully next year is my year, as almost all of them on my cousins property have gone nocturnal in the last few weeks. 

congratulations because that is amazing.  Very very cool

Thanks again people. The common rule of thumb on Bear hibernation is that the sows den up earlier then boars. My first boar was some 25 years ago in the last week of the season. Wildlife manager Dick Henry was surprised he had not denned up. When the food sources drop they start shutting there body down to den and do come out and in of den state. They seem to prefer sites at the 2000 Ft elevation on northern face mountaians . Finding benches, cuts and selfs about that elevation mid to late season is prime arras to look for runs scant and the common pine tree sapling scent posts these are offten chewed on. Hope this info answers some and helps . HWS.

• Like 1