Weapon Choice

john mc

Now that the gun season is upon us, the question of which weapon the hunter will choose becomes viable.

Rifle?

shotgun?

muzzleloader?

bow?

crossbow? Also known as a muzzleloader by NY state powers to be.(sic)

Confused dont whether to take my new barnett ghost 410 crossbow or my thompson contender muzzeloader. Lets see my arrow travels at 410 fps and has 149 foot pound of energy at impact.

My muzzle loader about 1500 fps. quite honestly dont know the energy As far as range50 yards to To 200 yards

Now i notice the similarities between the two. Cant blame the politicians for requiring a muzzleloader permit to use crossbow. After all, more people that hunt with a broadhead will use a crossbow than those that use a bullet. AND THATS NO WAY FOR THE STATE TO MAKE MONEY.

ps: spent $150 ( license &permit) and $350 on lodging and food. ( went the cheap mode) to ogio couple weeks go crossbow hunting.

I'll be muzzleloading tomorrow for at leat my first deer, then flip a coin

There is a lot of confusion regarding the use of crossbows.  You only need the Muzzle Loader privilege to use a crossbow during those parts of the season.  You DO NOT need the MZ privilege to use the crossbow during early bear or the regular season..   You can use the Crossbow the entire regular season if you so choose to.  Why you need if for early bow (last 14 days of Southern Zone) I have no idea.  I expect in the next couple years, you need a separate tag for the crossbow.  Anyway, right now, you do not need the MZ tag unless using the Crossbow during the last 14 days of bow or the last 9 days of the season.

Weapon of Choice

Rem 870 12 ga 3" Mag Rifled Slug

Traditions Pursuit .50 Cal 150 gr White Hot, 245 Powerbelt AeroTip

Thompson Contender .41 mag, 165 gr FTX

Edited by WingNut

Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 .. only been at it a couple of years and looking to harvest my first deer this season. Also have an old Winchester 94 in .30-30 that has been handed down at least 3 generations to me. Ill probably take that out a few times.

For challenge and quality of the hunt, I far and away prefer bow hunting ..... always have. My Mathews MQ-32 still does that job as good as any of them. For meat gathering, my new buddy, the Ruger American in .270 caliber, is my weapon of choice.

My weapons of choices now that we have 2nd year of rifle in the southern 8J area.

1-Savage model 99 in 300 savage /Weaver 4x32

2- Winchester model 94 in 30/30 /peep site

3- NEF Tracker 2 single shot 20ga /Simmons 2.5x20 

4-Remington model 760 6mm /Simmons 2x7x32

5-CVA Kodiak Muzzleloader 45cal /Nikon 3x9x40

All these have shot many deer in the past for me weather in the northern zone or southern zone.