My 1st buck

34NY

I'm in the stand from 6-11. I'm cold n hungry so I get down to head to the cabin. I planned on going to another spot so I smoke a cig, trudge around getting my scent wicks and go back to the stand for my backpack. I put it on, clip the belt and look up and there's a huge 8 pointer staring at me at 50 yards tops. In the next 5 seconds I grab my shotgun, aim fire, he doesn't move an inch. I rack another round aim fire and he takes off. I could only see his head and top 1/4 of his body as he was behind a downed tree. I missed him both times. I couldn't believe it. Missed my first buck and first kill. This is my rookie year. It was so fast and he caught me so off guard. I'll be thinking about this one for years to come. If only I stayed in the stand 5 more minutes. If only I aimed an inch lower. If only this if only that. Just unreal.

Thiink we have all had those encounters. Had an 8 point walk in front of me 3 different times on my way out of the woods at 1 p.m Thursday. First time at 70 yards. Closed to 40. Drew on him with my climber on my back and he never came to the opening. Tried closing on him again and saw his flag. It's heartbreaking but it keeps you coming back for more.

• Like 1

A few years back. A friend and I were walking into the woods, about 100 yds from where we parked.  Talking and joking.  He stopped in front of me and turned around to say something and we both saw a big doe walking right at us in the middle of the afternoon.  We froze and she kept walking until she was 10 feet away and stopped to look at us.  We all looked at each other.  I said shoot.  My friend said I don't have my release, you shoot.  I didn't have mine either.  We looked back at the doe, and she turned and walked away.  To this day I think that doe thinks we were retards out walking in the woods.  We laugh about it everytime.

It's not always about the kill, It's the stories that we come back for.

• Like 2

had a similar experience my first year too. about 11am, as soon as I climb down my ladder stand and put my feet on the ground, I look to my left and a big 8 pointer was staring at me at about 30 yds. after about a 2 minute starring contest, I reach for my bow and he takes off. if I had stayed in my stand for literally 30 more seconds, I might have seen him from the stand. don't beat yourself up over it. happens to a lot of us

Better title would be "Missed My First Buck".

At 16, my first shot at a buck was.....Well, buck fever got me bad. My sit was in a small valley for the evening. I start creeping my down one side to my tree, and a 4 pt jumps up and runs. I brought my shotgun up ( old single shot ), got a bead on the side of the deer and fired. In that split second, my head raced, on the downhill, hill on the other side, safe. he's running but you got it. I missed clean. I did everything right, except one thing. I never led the running deer. I stick pointed at his side and fired.

We have all done it. Some may not admit it. But buck/deer fever is the leading cause of misses and bad shots.