Dutchess county buck

Birdhunter

I have hunted this property in Stormville pretty hard during the bow season and passed on 5 different small bucks. I was looking for a mature doe to shoot or a bigger buck, but I never go the opportunity on either. Out of nowhere, this guy came in right on a doe and it was an easy shot with the muzzleloader at 50 yds.

I have never seen this buck in person or on camera, but he seems to be related to a similar one I shot two years ago. They both have the same small brow tines and both had big bodies. I shot this one no more than 50 yds. from the other one. I guess that is a good spot to leave that stand!

post-22-0-49640600-1416097342_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Nice buck!  Looks like a wide chest!  Did you weigh him?

Thanks guys.

I didn't weigh him, but when I brought him to my local butcher he said, " I thought you shot a deer, not a horse"

He said it would probably be the heaviest one he gets in for the year. 

I still have room in the freezer, so I will be back out this weekend.

Nice buck .. I hunt Wappingers. In the last 15 years always hunted the exact same spot and took many big bucks in the exact same spot. Yet no sign ,no scrapes and no rubs yet took 7 big boys in that same spot. Keep that spot under lock and key and don't move. Lolol great Dutchess deer..

• 4 weeks later...