How satisfied are you with your rifle

ryan

The OP said rifle so I assume it's not a slug, but a rifle bullet.

IF those squares are one inch , that's about a  1 3/4" group, which is perfectly acceptable hunting accuracy for shots out to 300 yards, which is farther than most of us shoot.

I'd move the zero about an inch and a half to the left to center the group on the bullseye.

If you are hunting in the woods, a dead on 100 yard zero is fine. If you may be shooting farther, raise the zero to 2" or 3" above center and you''l be able to hold on brown out to 250-300 yards, depending on what chambering you are using.

• Like 1

Idk bout 300 yards lol. I would want to tighten up groups at 100 first. Each box on that target is a inch so its about a 3inch group at 100. And thats not bad dont mistake me but out to 300 yards unless done and proven I wouldn't take that shot while hunting.

Center to center that group is less than 2"...

Not a "bragging" group at the range, but a decent group for a big game rifle for us mere mortals.

• Like 1

Center to center that group is less than 2"...

Not a "bragging" group at the range, but a decent group for a big game rifle for us mere mortals.

We dont know what hole is the first shot so if for instance if the middle shot was the first hole in the paper it would be a shorter distance either way. I always go from the middle of the bullseye since thats were I would be aiming.

Out of 5 shots I would like to see at least 2 of them hit the red box. If not i would adjust my scope. But you can't adjust it if its not the scope.

I want to stress that im not saying he is a bad shot. That is beyond fine for a deer shot semi close range but I would want it to be a little tighter if im going to be reching out there. And would want to see a improved group after time.

And a 30-06 is capable of great groups witht the right round. Maybe he shot back to back with a bigger grain bullet like a 180. Hard to say.

Best I can do thus far on my savage is just over an inch ctc with a 3 round group. Average group is over 2", which is unacceptable for my standards in a rifle.

Took 3 shots with a Remington custom rifle, .25" ctc and 5 shots opened it up to .4" ctc. All from factory federal ammo. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper with my .243 right now.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu

Areas that I hunt, most shots will be 100 yards max so I would still hunt with that type of grouping.  Would I be satisfied with it?  Not really.

I cloverleaf with at 100 yards and at around an inch and a half out to 200 with my Remington 700 using factory 308 ammo.  Just bought a timney trigger to try to make that group even better.

• Like 1

Elmo that trigger will work wonders. I have a freind in the Marines and he has a Remi 700 he decked out and a Timney trigger was one of the first upgrades. Makes it a flawless trigger pull. To snap that trigger back with he tip of your finger and as long as you have no flinch that gun is a tack driver

Edited by HuntOrBeHunted

Elmo that trigger will work wonders. I have a freind in the Marines and he has a Remi 700 he decked out and a Timney trigger was one of the first upgrades. Makes it a flawless trigger pull. To snap that trigger back with he tip of your finger and as long as you have no flinch that gun is a tack driver

My 700 was part of the recall. When it came back, Remington had stiffen the trigger so I decided to go ahead on bought the Timney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot clay skeet targets set at 200 yards... If I can break them every time... My guns can go hunting... LOL.. I never really measure the groups on them... I just shoot the skeet so I know I can kill out that far.. But I would say you can go to 150 yards with that gun and kill...

• Like 1

5lbs is a bit on the heavy side for my liking but everyone has their own preferences. Heavy trigger pull tends to make you move the rifle a tiny bit when pulling the trigger. You have to remember that the tiniest of movement can mean the difference of an inch when out to 100 yards.

For bench and competition shooting, you want a hair trigger (super light). For hunting purposes, you want a little bit of extra weight on the pull so any little twig won't set it off. I like to keep my rifles at around 2.5 to 3.5 lbs of trigger pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk