Can't we all get along?

upstate

I lease 57 acres from a timber company in 7M. Me and a local guy have had it for 5 years. It’s straight hill to a great trout stream at the bottom. There is a ton of state land nearby. The logging company logged 6-7 years ago and the browse and cover is pretty good but it’s part of a huge tract of “woods”.

The second year we were there our neighbor to the north complained to the wood company, not us, about our stand placement. Unknowingly we placed a stand, facing our property on the property line that was about 40 yards from his stand. We moved a stand there because we noticed during bow season that the deer travel the property line and cut into our land where there’s a strip of great, heavy cover. In fact I have 3 stands within 120 yards of this area due to wind direction and the fact the deer head there.  The stand he complained about was only used ONCE, by a friend of mine on opening day our first year. During gun I will use the other stands near there with decent success.

My “go to” stand is at the bottom of the creek bed in an old gnarly maple tree that the lumber company gave me permission to put screw in steps because I climb a 17 feet ladder stand THEN about another 10 feet into another stand. It’s the only tree within 200 yards that allows me to see the natural funnel that a huge ravine across from me and the scrubby fields (not my property).

Last year a 25 year old kid bought the house near us and began hunting the property to south (his family property borders ours and that “go to” stand is near that boarder. The last 4 years I have gotten mature 7 to 9 points out of my stand each year. His brother got a slob 11 point on thanksgiving near my stand, may have actually been in my stand. I don’t care, I wasn’t there so I wasn’t getting him.

My buddy told him that we busted our butts getting that stand in and that I am there opening day of gun and occasionally hunt that stand with bow.

Opening morning about 6:10 AM (I’m in my stand by 5:45) somebody comes walking right about up to me and turns into woods, up the ravine and disappears. He’s wearing orange but I lose him and it is driving me nuts.

About 9 AM I am frozen and I see a deer cross creek about 75 yards up into my property. I can see he’s a rack buck and I look for opening. He gets there and I shoot. He starts running down creek (towards that guys land)  and now I shoot again and I’m seeing hair fly.

I get down about 30 minutes later and as I do I see the kid getting out of his tree stand.

He’s real nice, helps me track and we find deer about 75 yards down creek. He tells me he’s seen him on trail cam all year, nice buck, blah blah.

After a few minutes he asks about the land, the lease, how much land we have and how that other neighbor has been a jerk (he’s a sheriff deputy) and   my how that deputy feeds the deer and probably hunts over the feeder (I know he does because I hear that feeder go off at 4:10 every single evening. We talk about him for a while and then he says to me, “Look, I only have 10 acres to hunt and I’d appreciate it if you gave me some room down here. You guys have plenty of land up there to hunt” He also tells me that they lost the place they usually hunt. I tell him that we’d move one stand (again, we bow hunt the wind and multiple stands are in place to account for wind direction) but that I have too much time and effort into that big stand to move it. Plus, the only one I could move it to is only 20 yards further up, would require a ton of cutting and the lumber company would likely say no.  I do tell him that I would lay off that big stand for a while though. He seems fine with it.

As I thought about it I fully understand how landowners feel, that is their property, where they live and here’s these guys setting up on top of them.

However, there’s really not a whole lot of options for us with tree stands in particular near those property lines. The trees growing are small and since you’re on a  pretty good incline you’re looking through the tops of the small trees so you’re better off on the ground.

I want to be a good neighbor and my philosophy is I’m not going to shoot a deer on your property. I’m not going to be that guy that won’t let you track one onto mine (although the deputy says he will it’s been past experience from others he doesn’t let ANYONE on his land (again 10 acres). I expect the same courtesy. And that’s my planned discussion with that guy down below.

I don’t believe there’s really anything wrong with my approach. What gets me is why is it OK for them to hunt property lines and not us? In all honesty, we’ve taken about 15 deer off that lease and all have been within 200 yards of one line or another. We pay a good amount to hunt there and I just don’t want problems.

I lost a place I hunted for 25 years and a neighbor went ballistic, after 10 years of getting some sweet bucks, over where my stand was, He put one and used it just 40 yards from me. Thing was he logged his land and pushed all the tops over towards our line and they ran our side. I even discussed with him deer between our stands and he told me to go ahead, he was high enough. That guy would make stuff up, like I shot at him (never happened, I got a 130 class 8 point he could not see), was hunting his land, blah blah and I was always wound up about it. I don't get it. 

Thoughts?? 

Looks like nobody wants to chime in.  lol.

I will say this, We hunt a 400 acre private parcle in the Southier Tier of WNY.  It is bordered by a Road to the North and 3 different neighbors to the East, South and West.   They all own a good chunk of land also.  Every year we post the living snot out of our property.  I'm talkiing posted signs every 50-60 feet around the entire 400 acres AND we take Orange Surveyor tape and mark the trees in between.

Despite this, ALL 3 FRICKEN NEIGHBORS AND their cronies, put their stands right on the fence lines or even over onto our property.  The ones on the fence line that are on their property, most face our property.

For the entire track of land, its probably well over 1,000 acres, and people need to hunt the fence line?  i never understood this.  Come hunting season it is maddening seeing all the deer that get shot that they drag off the property (and BIG ones included).

I understand that the deer don't belong to people.  So, they aren't mine to control.  However, there is some professional and ethical hunter standards here that says give other hunters some space!  Don't put stands up 100 yards from me (which has happened on many occastions).  Don't shoot fence line deer, etc.

My 2 cents.  not sure if it is what you were venting about or not.

I say if they hunt the line you should hunt the line if you want.We had a trespasser cut across our property opening day without letting anyone know.Its a safety thing with me.If I see a deer and I know where the people on my lease are then I feel a little safer about shooting in a given direction,now throw the F'tard that wheres full camo into the mix that jumps a deer past one of us and what happens?I respect boarders,but I will also hunt the edge,the trigger doesn't get touched till the deer is on my property though.

Edited by MACHINIST

I never use to place stands on lines ...but now I have several...I had stands 2-300 hundred ft from my line and the guys next door would come in and sit directly on their line right infront of me...that would make a whole chunk of my land unhuntable because I wouldn't shoot towards them...then they nearly shot my daughter and my self as we were going into stands...so you can guess...yep lined the property with stands that face my land....Then I asked two other neighbors for permission to build stands on the line due to wind...not a problem...well not until the one guy started leasing and those guys come in with ghilli suites.  and sit on the line during bow and gun...Which I would not have a problem with but unlike me they shoot on me and sneak in...shoot after dark and before light...though giving credit not his year...as for the after hours shooting...probably got tired of the calls to the cops...as far as sneaking...... the snow has kept them at bay...that and the fact they are never sure where I am...love those enclosed blinds...all they can see is orange in my chair...I may or may not be in there.......I keep the tinted windows low enough they can't see all the way in the blind....

Now I have had the same guys set up under and on either side of my stand ...and more power to them...I don't shoot on them and even though I can't get anything that may have come up off them...they can't get anything that may have come down off of us......the fun thing is...I can see what is and better yet not coming their way on their land from my tall stand...and they are still sitting on the ground looking at brush :cheese:

...you just need to figure out what your dealing with and do the best you can...some ppl you can deal with..others need the big... FU and do whats in your best interest your paying for the lease...just like they are paying taxes. As long as you stay in the right as far as hunting and trespassing laws

Stands legally hung on the property lines are fine- hunting the neighbors property is not. 80 percent of my access and stand sites are on lines- not that I cheat but it gives me my property as annunmolested sanctuary. Had a neighbor complain his stands are nearby and I have more acerage than his little piece.... He is the same guy that has been caught hunting ours and has needed access to retrieve hit animals. No problem but he can only dictate his wishes on what he owns. Have another group that owns an old rr bed- 110 feet wide by a mile long- they have trash blow off their ground, wound tons of deer and sneak everywhere. They're in the law (only) for hunting their parcel but suck as neighbors (stewards and hunters). Good neighbors respect lines- not avoid them when they know you're there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OK- I did not know where the deputies stand was on his property on my north end. I simply placed a stand within 20 yards of the line FACING my property.  He does not bow hunt. When I sent a friend over to my stand he found that one and sat in it for the opener. Deputy was mad, called wood company and complained. They never even called me. They only told me when I had another neighbor dumping on the property. I only use that stand during bow season, there's another stand about 50 yards down that is perfect for gun. 

The guy on the other end, near my "go to" stand for opener of gun has fewer options for trees but can move down some. I have no choice and its within 15 yards of the line but I have no other options. It's a huge funnel moving up and down the creek. 

My point is that both these guys want me to move so they can hunt the line.  I'm not moving and I'm not looking to screw anyone. 

• Like 1

This isn't directed at anyone who replied here, so nobody get their panties in a wad, but hunters are some of the most selfish people on earth.  I include myself in that statement.  We all think we own the woods.  We all think we own the deer.  We all think because we have a trail camera picture that nobody else can shoot that deer.  Its a rather funny (not haha, but ironic) group of people.

I will NEVER understand why people put up stands right on the border of neighboring properties.  Yeah, they may not have enough land of their own, or are seeing more deer movement near the border, but to me that is NO excuse.  You are just looking for trouble by doing this.  You will piss off the neighbors, and sooner or later they will return the favor.  Just set your stands away from the borders and hunt.  Just because you are seeing more deer near the border, doesn't mean some can't make their way to your stand in the middle of the property.  And these days with food plots and crap like that, you can entice the deer to come your way if you want.  Causing conflict by setting up stands near borders will only bring aggravation to your hunting in the long run.

OK- I did not know where the deputies stand was on his property on my north end. I simply placed a stand within 20 yards of the line FACING my property.  He does not bow hunt. When I sent a friend over to my stand he found that one and sat in it for the opener. Deputy was mad, called wood company and complained. They never even called me. They only told me when I had another neighbor dumping on the property. I only use that stand during bow season, there's another stand about 50 yards down that is perfect for gun. 

The guy on the other end, near my "go to" stand for opener of gun has fewer options for trees but can move down some. I have no choice and its within 15 yards of the line but I have no other options. It's a huge funnel moving up and down the creek. 

My point is that both these guys want me to move so they can hunt the line.  I'm not moving and I'm not looking to screw anyone. 

if I'm reading this correctly, your friend went onto the neighbors property and sat in his stand? and you take issue with him getting pissed?............interesting.

Personally, as long as they are hunting only their property I would prefer that they were close to the line as opposed to 50-75 yards off shooting with our property as the back stop.

good point, I'd rather someone sit with their back directly on the line shooting away from me then to have them 100 yards away shooting towards me......and unfortunately there really is nothing that can be done about fence sitters except to get pissed and if the chance ever arises deny them access to track or retrieve a deer, but that's not something I would do if the deer was legally shot on their property.

I have one stand that's near the edge of a neighbor's property...not because I want a war, but becasue it's always been a deer travel corridor, especially once the guns go off. I've gotten some comments about it, but I'm not moving it. I've never understood the mentality of guys who won't let you cross onto their side to track a deer...it wouldn't bother me if someone wanted to cross over my side to track. In a perfect world, we'd have permission to hunt each other's properties ( I have this arrangement with my other neighbors).

Personally, as long as they are hunting only their property I would prefer that they were close to the line as opposed to 50-75 yards off shooting with our property as the back stop.

I can see your point, but sooner or later there will be a deer that won't want to cross back into their property and they won't be able to resist that shot over into your property.  I'm sure the same would happen if you or I saw something on their property.  The temptations can be very difficult to overcome in hunting, so for me at least, it's best to stay away from the places where I will be tempted.  I guess there might be some value to the Lord prayer in hunting too, with the passage "lead us not into temptation".  Of course plenty of hunters would then be praising the Lord and saying their Haleluiah's for tempting them to shoot into the neighboring property if it resulted in a trophy buck on the ground, so go figure! LOL

if I'm reading this correctly, your friend went onto the neighbors property and sat in his stand? and you take issue with him getting pissed?............interesting.

My friend went to MY stand, on MY property, facing my land. 

He took issue with fact that it was close to his stand, which I was not aware. 

That stand is not used during gun season since he's only a gun hunter. 

As far as putting stands near the property lines go. 

I have invested much work and have few options, if any as far as moving my stand. If that guy hunts his stand I would still hunt mine. We are each hunting our own property, but it's pretty close. How would I feel if a big slob was coming up and he shot it and it was coming to me? Not happy but oh well, that's hunting. 

I don't want any problems. Just an understanding that it goes both ways. 

I share a stand with a neighbor on our property line. It's big enough that we stand or sit back to back and each hunt our own property. Sometimes deer I pass up or miss go on neighbors and vice versa. We split the cost of the stand and switch off who brings the coffee and who brings the donuts. Works out great, but i am a lot colder and hungrier when she's not there.

• Like 1

I share a stand with a neighbor on our property line. It's big enough that we stand or sit back to back and each hunt our own property. Sometimes deer I pass up or miss go on neighbors and vice versa. We split the cost of the stand and switch off who brings the coffee and who brings the donuts. Works out great, but i am a lot colder and hungrier when she's not there.

Ahh OK.  Interesting set up.  I bet you can handle the being hungry part a lot easier than the being cold part.  LOL

• Like 1

I find it sad that because a person would feel tempted to shoot deer on anothers property...by the way which could be done sitting 150 yards away with rifles...that they feel a need to ASSUME everyone has such an unrestained nature...I for one have watch many deer and more than a few nice buck walk 10 ft past me....watching and hoping for a cross over that never happened...Oh well...... if a deer is that important in ones life.... I feel it says a lot about the person.

I find it sad that because a person would feel tempted to shoot deer on anothers property...by the way which could be done sitting 150 yards away with rifles...that they feel a need to ASSUME everyone has such an unrestained nature...I for one have watch many deer and more than a few nice buck walk 10 ft past me....watching and hoping for a cross over that never happened...Oh well...... if a deer is that important in ones life.... I feel it says a lot about the person.

Now that's funny!  You of all people are saying that you don't ASSUME that the guy on the other side of your property may be up to no good?  Heck, from all the stories you've told us over the years of the bandits, poachers, jacklighters, and assorted other hooligans that border your properties, I would have thought you didn't need to make any assumptions. LOL

I'm not getting into a hising match with you Steve...Remember in all those "Stories"..... we have actually been shot at...I have actually had ppl arrested for trespassing ...actually snuck up on them in the dark as they were crossing over...had neighbors call to let me know they were out there and we all went out to catch them...no need to go on.

So a  as you just stated I do not need to ASSUME  on some of these guys...and BTW...I've never had the DEC called out because I had any illegal activities going on..and have never been afraid to call and have them on my property either.....there is a reason the cop in the OP doesn't want ppl tracking deer on his place...he has something to hide which the OP'er stated a feeder...I just don't want them out there with out a call which Is why I willing put my cell # on the metal posted signs...Ya funny how that works isn't it?

Edited by growalot

Lets put it this way. Since we've taken two deer we've had 2 visits from the DEC. Ironic isn't it? 

I think not since there's one DEC officer in the ENTIRE COUNTY.  The first time was an apparent "random" check by a DEC officer who looked very hard for a violation. Today it was "a confidential report of multiple deer taken, by the truck out front and brought to this address" - How can that be, my buddy knows all the neighbors, know this guys antics and only the sheriff knows where he lives. So, he's making false reports and I told the DEC this. 

Accordingly I filed a formal complaint and will be filing one with the Sheriff's office regarding some queries he has done on me without cause. This guy has been demoted from detective for his strong arm antics and while I have no problems with a friendly DEC visit I will not put up with blatant false reports. 

I am done with the area and the terrorists win. I will not renew this lease. 

But I will hunt the living hell out of it. I will be target shooting, skeet shooting, 4 wheeler riding fool and will probably bring 1,000 bars of hotel soap and a sling shot as a parting gift 

Edited by upstate
  • Like 1

oh, my formal complaint was regarding the feeder and a hunting stand within 30 yards. 

I told the DEC I would be following up on his report. 

I expect that every time I hunt this property this year me and anyone in my party will be checked 

For license, tags, loaded weapons, pistol permit (he only asked for that once). 

I would also anticipate traffic stops. I am more than ready and hope this guy knows he's now being scrutinized.

All over deer... unbelievable.