Worst luck ever!!

Peter Griffin

are people really that obsessed with taking a buck that they would shoot one in an area that is more than likely going to destroy a large amount of meat?

I've been hunting for about 30 uears and I dtill have to slow myself down whrn a deer is in range. So yes! We are all that "Obsessed", some of us need a little schooling and a couple more years of experience!

if you think you're all that get over youself or get your own TV show! Just stop bashing a fellow hunter for asking a question or confessing to an error of judgement!

• Like 1

So here's a question..............

How many had to physically take the HEC?

I was 14, and to show them I could use and handle a firearm safely. They made us shoot a .22 . Same with my bow course, I had to physically be there.

I am not sure how long the "Online Course" has been in effect. But, there are some things you should not be allowed to do online. A HEC or BEC are two of them.

• Like 1

Where was I defending the shots he took? I agree that they were bad choices. All I said is that the guy is new, and while he may have made some poor decisions, nothing is accomplished by belittling and scolding him. Of course nobody should take shots like that. I have no problem with some constructive criticism, but the "holier than thou" attitude often diplayed on this site is ridiculous.

The holier than thou comes from a good place with good intentions. It's not to stroke an ego or knock someone down. This is a sport we all cherish that is constantly under fire. We try and self police to preserve our sport and keep the standards high. I'm not saying it's right, but that is why we criticize.

We have all made poor decisions, poor shots and lost deer. It sucks. Worse part of this thread is it doesn't seem like he tracked the 1st buck very long or hard. So now there's 2 bucks possibly down. I hope he continues to hunt and learn and get better.

Final point is that I don't believe in luck. Sure there is a little voo-doo here and there. But practice and preparation is what I define as "luck".

Edited by Belo

We have all made poor decisions, poor shots and lost deer. It sucks. Worse part of this thread is it doesn't seem like he tracked the 1st buck very long or hard. So now there's 2 bucks possibly down. I hope he continues to hunt and learn and get better.

Speak for yourself. I have never injured a deer, because I won't take the shot unless everything is perfect. I'd rather let him walk away, than chase a deer 2 miles.

Edited by the blur

So here's a question..............

How many had to physically take the HEC?

I was 14, and to show them I could use and handle a firearm safely. They made us shoot a .22 . Same with my bow course, I had to physically be there.

I am not sure how long the "Online Course" has been in effect. But, there are some things you should not be allowed to do online. A HEC or BEC are two of them.

I believe that the online is only a portion of the class and still requires an in person hands on section.

I can't say it is a great idea to beat up on a new hunter but there errors made need to be pointed out. Part of the learning experience. I don't believe in the patting poor behavior on the back and saying it is ok and maybe it will be better next time without pointing out that both shots were piss poor with low percentage recoveries and high percentage wounding.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

Try this next time put the cross hairs behind the shoulder works a lot better then the neck or ass shot. Did you go to sniper school you think your that good. THAT'S NOT BAD LUCK. THAT'S MAKING A PISS POOR CHOICE!

Belo, I understand what you're saying, but how is this not intended to knock someone down? And this is just one example out of many.

The guy hasn't been back on the site since the day he posted. I'm sure that has nothing to do with being humiliated though, right?

Edited by Skillet

I hunt deer to eat them. I butcher my own deer and the damage done when hit in the hind quarters is amazing. I think if hunters see what a high powered bullet does to a thin skinned deer, their shot placement choices would change. 

And, for those of you who care about human health and hunt with conventional bullets, a lead bullet in the hind quarter will fragment and contaminate the whole ham with Pb.

http://www.huntingwithnonlead.org/

Edited by Curmudgeon

Belo, I understand what you're saying, but how is this not intended to knock someone down? And this is just one example out of many.

The guy hasn't been back on the site since the day he posted. I'm sure that has nothing to do with being humiliated though, right?

You're quoting Larry, not me. I'm confused at your comment.

• Like 1

At that point I called some friends to help. Sure enough my marker blew off the tree when we got back up on the ridge and I found it laying on the ground so at this point I have no point of reference where it was standing. Im super bummed thinking I missed this deer, injured it, or even worse killed it and cant find it because its stuck on some part of the steep hillside/cliff. After hours spent searching we had to assume sadly It ran off with no blood to confirm the shot hit or notable disturbances anywhere.

^ ^ ^ ^

Worse part of this thread is it doesn't seem like he tracked the 1st buck very long or hard.

Edited by BackWoods Hunter

Niether  mine nor my kids classes required us to touch a weapon...now that said  with my gun course...... we were asked if we wanted to try some skeet...class was full and only I and one other woman shot... I hit, she missed...when asked how many had ever shot a weapon 4 ppl raised their hands as I recall....That was a very long time ago...the kids not having even been asked bothered me....

What else bothered me is lots of ppl got lots of answers wrong and that was never addressed just the right answers given so everyone would pass and that was with both bow and gun...years apart,,,different instructors and different gun clubs....

Edited by growalot