The Legendary NYS Wolf

beachpeaz

So, one of my employees very close friends trapped this guy in Woodhull, NY.  The beast weighed close to 150lbs.

He contacted the DEC (because, ya know, there are no Wolves in NYS).  They immediately (and without pause) said that it is just a large Coyote.

I've seen some big Coyotes (like 65-70lbs), but 150??  And look at the features on him, that screams wolf to me.

Is this another DEC cover up??  Thoughts?

This is not through a rumor mill either.  I personally know this guy.

post-1540-0-29980100-1416840535_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Very interesting. A bit of google search gives the following:

..."EARS
Looking at the ears is a key way to distinguish between a wolf and a coyote. Coyote ears are larger in proportion to head size. In fact, a 30 lb. coyote can have ears as big or bigger than an 80 lb. wolf. Also, wolves have rounded ears. Coyote's ears are pointed."

They look rounded in the picture to me, though a bit tricky to tell.

More:

.."The snouts are distinguishing features. While the wolf's snout is blocky, the coyote's snout is pointed."

Looks blocky to me.

Any plans for further investigation or thats it? Would be interesting to get definitive answer either way.

Very interesting. A bit of google search gives the following:

..."EARS

Looking at the ears is a key way to distinguish between a wolf and a coyote. Coyote ears are larger in proportion to head size. In fact, a 30 lb. coyote can have ears as big or bigger than an 80 lb. wolf. Also, wolves have rounded ears. Coyote's ears are pointed."

They look rounded in the picture to me, though a bit tricky to tell.

More:

.."The snouts are distinguishing features. While the wolf's snout is blocky, the coyote's snout is pointed."

Looks blocky to me.

Any plans for further investigation or thats it? Would be interesting to get definitive answer either way.

um, those ears are clearly pointed and large, and the snout is very pointed. Im not sure what pic you are looking at but compare Biz's pic of an actual wolf to the OPs pic of the coyote.

• Like 2

I gaurantee you it is not 35 or 40 lbs.  I have a house cat that weights 22.

Yes, he is squatting behind it, but not for effect.  I don't believe it was 150 lbs either, that is what he had said.

I do believe it is pushing 100 lbs though.

Why it screams wolf to me, it is much more "bulky" and muscular than any coyote Ive seen.  Coyotes (as mentioned above) have fluffy coats making them appear much bigger than what they are.  They tend to be lanky critters.  Look at the muscle tone on this guy.  Look particularly at his front shoulder muscles.  This is not a "coat hiding his size."   This guy IS very large despite the coat.

And to the other comments, a Coyote and a Wolf are of the same lineage and very, very, very close relatives, so of course they are going to look similar.  to the untrained eye, maybe even identical.

I believe this is part of the DEC denial.  They don't do any genetic testing.  They just dismiss all wolf sitings as "big coyotes."  It would not be remotely hard for a timber wolf to show up and easily be mistaken for Coyote.  In fact, some timber wolfs are the same size as a Coyote.

compare the 2 photos above of the one I posted and then the Yote over the carcass.  Look at how lanky the Coyote is.  You can tell once you strip the fur, he is just a skinny dude underneath.  Look at my picture and look at the muscle tone in the shouders and neck.  Also look at the size of the front paws.  A good indication of true size of an animal.

I believe this is part of the DEC denial.  They don't do any genetic testing.  They just dismiss all wolf sitings as "big coyotes."  It would not be remotely hard for a timber wolf to show up and easily be mistaken for Coyote.  In fact, some timber wolfs are the same size as a Coyote.

As for your claim of DEC denial - read the June Conservationist - http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/97131.html. The article states that eastern coyotes are genetically ~26% wolf.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 1