The Legendary NYS Wolf

beachpeaz

BTW..Thank You First-light...

If you read up on wolves and coyotes it is almost impossible to tell the difference between an Eastern grey wolf and a large Coyote.

What makes you ppl think... The Eastern Grey Wolf that breed with yotes in Canada could not or would not  follow the same migration route that their hybrids followed?

Edited by growalot
  • Like 3

BTW..Thank You First-light...

What makes you ppl think... The Eastern Grey Wolf that breed with yotes in Canada could not or would not  follow the same migration route that their hybrids followed?

I have no doubt that's it's possible...... I also don't believe that if one was truly killed here that DEC would cover it up and say it never happened and that it wasn't a Wolf of Wolf/Coyote Hybrid, those biologists get all kinds of excited when something new shows up in the area they study. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they don't launch an all out investigation just one sighting, and I would also think that any Taxidermist that knows what they are doing would report any animal to DEC that they think is something that is not what it is brought in as......they have to answer for the animals in their possession if not legally tagged or possessed.

• Like 2

The reason it is so unbelievable is the fact that it was not officially weighed and it simply looks like a coyote.  And the picture makes the story even more unbelievable.  I don't claim to be any expert on the subject but even as a layman it simply looks like a big coyote unless that guy is 7ft tall and about 350lbs, no way the coyote is over 70lbs.

This post reminds me of all the Monster deer shot on LI that turn out to be from Ohio.  Still have the bridge for sale, great deal! 

Eastern Coyotes are larger then coyotes in other parts of the United States. Coyotes range from 35-to-45 pounds. Some males can easily exceed 60 pounds. Some larger coyotes can be the same size as a gray wolf. The largest coyote weighed 74 pounds and was over five feet long. The length of the coyote is from 30-to-34 inches (not including the tail). The height to the shoulder ranges from 23-to-26 inches. Most coyotes have the appearence of a German Shepherd. Coyotes can run up to 43 MPH, and leap over 13 feet.

Prior to the 1900's coyotes were pushed out by the Gray Wolves (Timber Wolves). When Gray Wolves were hunted to extinction in the east coast, this gave coyotes the ability to re-establish back in the east coast. By 1900, coyotes had moved back into southern Canada. By, 1920 coyotes had moved into New York State. One of coyotes greatest ability to thrive and survive is the their ability to range up to 100 miles during their lifetime. This give them the exceptional ability to re-establish themselves. 

One of the biggest issues that people have with the Eastern Coyote and Gray Wolves is that a large Eastern Coyote looks almost identical to a Gray Wolf. Many believe that large coyotes are actually Gray Wolves. DNA analysis has now shown that hybridization has occured between coyotes and gray wolves. It is believed that the hybridization occurred in southern Canada where both coyotes and wolves coexist. Today coyotes populations are estimated between 20,000 and 30,000. Population levels fluctuate year-to-year depending upon the availability of prey and ravages of disease. Coyotes exist everywhere in New York except for Long Island. Right now it is believed that Gray Wolves do not exist in New York. But, it is believe it is just a matter of time before they migrate into New York from Canada. If they do appear in New York, they will be first sighted in the Adirondacks. Coyotes travel with their tails down, where Gray Wolves travel with their tails up.

Why not in NY??

Edited by First-light

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine is that the picture the OP posted is that of a coyote which weighs under 50lbs. I assume the guy in the picture killed this coyote, so why not just simply weigh it?

because that wouldn't generate a story and 5 pages of debate to go along with it.

• Like 4

I just find this humorous.  I am done with this post.  I simply forwarded a picture and someones account.  Wolf, Coyote, whatever.  Nobody will know and frankly I don't care.  I didn't trap it and I didn't weigh it.  I find it the most interesting that most people chimed in to say that because it weighed less than what the guy claimed, it must not be a wolf.  lol.  Wolves must ALL be 150lbs and they must be born 150lbs.  There are no wolves that weight 30 lbs, 40lbs, 70lbs, etc..  Just ridiculous assumptions by the typical few know-it-alls in here.

Anyways, it all good.  I'm going to go get some work done.  You folks can keep debating all you want.  Feel free to read this paragraph also and see if you find some typos or inaccurate statements to dwell on since you have nothing else to do :)

Enjoy your day people.  Happy hunting!

in fairness, you didn't just forward a picture. You made some claims, and followup claims. Had you posted the picture and asked what we thought that would have been one thing. Instead you made claims to species and weight. What'd you expect?

• Like 4

Anyone who thinks that is a wolf has never seen a wolf... very curious how he sat 10 feet behind the animal which makes little sense unless you're trying to give the impression that it is bigger than it really is... if I trapped or killed a wolf I would certainly cozy right up to it for the photo so you could see how big the animal really is... some people will do anything to prove there are wolves in NY... there are not!

I find it curious that I get flamed when I bring up the same issue with today's deer pics, but now we can all criticize this guy for doing the same with his "wolf". The trend needs to stop. Sitting 5' behind your 6 point to make it look huge is just deception. You should be happy with your trapped coyote, your 6 point and whatever your posing with. What egos do we have that we need to trick a bunch of people on the internet with funny camera tricks?

• Like 5

I find it curious that I get flamed when I bring up the same issue with today's deer pics, but now we can all criticize this guy for doing the same with his "wolf". The trend needs to stop. Sitting 5' behind your 6 point to make it look huge is just deception. You should be happy with your trapped coyote, your 6 point and whatever your posing with. What egos do we have that we need to trick a bunch of people on the internet with funny camera tricks?

I didn't say I didn't like the photo... it's actually pretty cool... I'm smart enough to know how big an animal is when someone takes that kind of photo... in this case I was making the point that he took the pic that way to deceive people into believing the coyote was a wolf... other than that.. how someone chooses to take their photos to preserve their hunting (or trapping) experience is up to them and doesn't affect me at all. I can enjoy the photo no matter how far or how close the hunter is from the animal... if a hunter wants to make his 6-point look bigger... God Bless him... its his photo not mine. I'll still know it's a small 6-point. I find it more annoying that how someone chooses to take their OWN photo bothers others... it's not your pic... what do you care? Not intended, before or now, as a flame it just doesn't make sense to me why it bothers people so much thats all.

• Like 2

I find it more annoying that how someone chooses to take their OWN photo bothers others... it's not your pic... what do you care? Not intended, before or now, as a flame it just doesn't make sense to me why it bothers people so much thats all.

why can't we just talk about what bothers us? Every topic or thread would get boring if we all just agreed and didn't speak our mind a little. There's no harm in it. Yet everytime someone has an opinion we're told we're not allowed to speak our minds and should just let people hunt. Well welcome to the internet. Where opinions are like assholes. If you don't like a healthy discussion then an internet forum is not for you.