The Legendary NYS Wolf

beachpeaz

He just trapped it recently and was the first I had seen that picture.  I will see if he has some additional photos.

I am not close to an expert on determining a wolf from a coyote, so it could be either (and frankly, I don't care if it turns out to be genetically mutated red fox.  lol).  Thought I would post it for everyone to chew on.  It seems there are a lot of experts in here that without any testing can determine what it is (and I will restate that a Timber Wolf and Coyote can look identical).  I don't think anyone could claim anything definitive.

Always a fun subject though :)

• Like 1

100lbs? not even close, look at the wolf Biz's dad is holding up, thats not much more than 100lbs and a heck of alot larger than the yote in the trap. Timber Wolves look nothing like coyotes, other than they have long fur, similar colors and are dogs. The show pistolp71 is referring to is on Netflix, and can be downloaded. Its a good one and does a good job explaining the wolf/coyote hybridization history.

Like I said, I don't care enough to dig into it.  If its a Yote, great, if not, great.  I know this is always a fun subject on here.  he's claiming it is a wolf.  DEC said no.  I would trust the DEC over a friend of a friend.

However, with that said, why are people so quick to dismiss a wolf could be in NYS??  I think it is completely practical.  They don't live that far from here.  It was unfathomable that there could be elk in NYS until just a few years ago also....now we can hunt them!  It is not impossible for one to have migrated that far, or for them to have been raised and release (legally or illegally).  Just sayin.

and "a Coyote looks nothing like a Timber Wolf" is a ridiculous statement.  Sometimes a German Shephard looks nothing like a German Shephard, just depends on genetics.  I can create random album of 100 pictures, 50 being Yotes and 50 being Timber Wolves and NOBODY would score 100%.  99 out of 100 wouldn't be good enough, because that would simply  mean it IS possible.

Like I said, I don't care enough to dig into it.  If its a Yote, great, if not, great.  I know this is always a fun subject on here.  he's claiming it is a wolf.  DEC said no.  I would trust the DEC over a friend of a friend.

However, with that said, why are people so quick to dismiss a wolf could be in NYS??  I think it is completely practical.  They don't live that far from here.  It was unfathomable that there could be elk in NYS until just a few years ago also....now we can hunt them!  It is not impossible for one to have migrated that far, or for them to have been raised and release (legally or illegally).  Just sayin.

and "a Coyote looks nothing like a Timber Wolf" is a ridiculous statement.  Sometimes a German Shephard looks nothing like a German Shephard, just depends on genetics.  I can create random album of 100 pictures, 50 being Yotes and 50 being Timber Wolves and NOBODY would score 100%.  99 out of 100 wouldn't be good enough, because that would simply  mean it IS possible.

Wait...wha..??

Edited by Sogaard
  • Like 1

However, with that said, why are people so quick to dismiss a wolf could be in NYS??  I think it is completely practical.  They don't live that far from here.  It was unfathomable that there could be elk in NYS until just a few years ago also....now we can hunt them!  

We can hunt elk in NY??????????  Where the hell was I that I didn't hear this news announced????????

I had a hunch that this thread would go at least 10 pages.  I may not be disappointed!  LOL

With the polar ice caps melting, how long do you think it will take for the polar bears to move into the Adirondacks?  Why should they miss out on the fun the wolves and elk are having here in NYS? LOL

Edited by steve863
  • Like 5

Mike - see above

Edited by Curmudgeon