The Legendary NYS Wolf

beachpeaz

funny how people knit pick the out of every word in here.  It is as if you have no life but to pounce on words out of context.  There are Elk in NYS.  There is a hunting season in PA on the Elk that were transplanted at the same time.  It is a matter of time before there is a limited entry draw here in NY on the Elk.  So, i was stating there is Eastern elk hunting season, which there has never been in my lifetime.  PA, NY, what the hells the difference.....Its not traveling to UT, CO,WY, etc.

Which wasn't the point of the thread, but thats what you get in this forum.  Know-it-alls.  People who know everything about everything.

Anyways, for those of you who read what I wrote, i could care less if is or isn't a wolf, or a coyote or a dog in a costume.  Was posted for people to see, the point of a forum.  so everyone calm down already.  good god.

So you write something that is completely wrong, and now you're blaming people for pulling it out of context? It wasn't out of context, you were incorrect.

You are also incorrect about your "matter of time" statement above.  The Elk in PA were transplanted and are heavily managed. If a handful did manage to 'escape' into NYS, the DEC doesn't want them here.  There will never be a hunt-able herd unless the DEC changes its policies and makes a conscience effort to transplant them here.  There is a better chance of getting a moose lottery in the future than there is of an elk one.

And most of the people on this site don't claim to know 'everything about everything', but they sure do know there isn't an elk season in New York, now, or anytime in the foreseeable future.

If you're getting your knickers in a twist for people calling you out for posting incorrect information, you're on the wrong site.

However, if you want to see an example of true nitpicking, there is *not* and Eastern Elk hunting season anywhere.  The Elk in PA are just transplanted Elk from Yellowstone (I believe they are American Elk).  Eastern Elk have been extinct since the late 1870s. ;)

Edited by Sogaard
  • Like 2

I didn't think I "body slammed him" I disagree that it is anything but a coyote,a very big coyote at that and a real trophy.Everyone(including myself)can and will have their own opinions,because opinions are like....well you know!!And the Elk comment I only said I would love to be the first guy to kill a NYS elk,I didn't say I wanted to take one illegal,I felt he was implying that or that anyone in NYS would because some people do take animals out of season or without tags.I know I wouldn't.So if he wants to lump me into that category he is lumping anyone else here in that category also.I have no clue if there is a wild population of Elk in NY but it totally is plausible with PA having a transplanted herd.Now if I could be the first guy to shoot Sasquatch....then that would be something!!!HAHAHA

Edited by MACHINIST

Not a wolf.

If we have wolves here, you won't see them in the burbs. Maybe, maybe in the upper Daks where the woods are vast and they can roam and hunt un-disturbed. IF!!! We have them here.

Postin the "my sister-in-laws, brothers, cousins, uncle, knows a guy who's nephews aunts mom, on here sisters side, met a guy who knows a woman who was told by her brothers buddies, friend, who knows a cousin, who was killed by a chipmunk.....", dun work. Rumors are like toilet paper, meant to get buried of flushed.

The spot I hunt in the NZ has at least one pack of coyotes. Everyone in the area knows they are there, they make themselves known. One of the neighbors behind my buddies parents place has a couple of horses, two summers ago they had a doe and two fawns coming right into the area with the horses and just bedding down and hanging out. One of the fawns went missing, and on the first night of camp in August, we heard the other fawn taken by the coyotes. Last summer on a trip, we heard them about 100 yds from our camp at about 7:30 pm on the first night. The second night we heard them from the same exact spot, but at about 1 am.

We all know they are in there, but the dude trapping for my buddies dad hasn't trapped one yet. Foxes and smaller animals he's getting, but, seems the 'yotes avoid the traps.

You would hear wolves if nothing else. You would know they were in the area.

Edited by JustRob

Anyone who thinks that is a wolf has never seen a wolf... very curious how he sat 10 feet behind the animal which makes little sense unless you're trying to give the impression that it is bigger than it really is... if I trapped or killed a wolf I would certainly cozy right up to it for the photo so you could see how big the animal really is... some people will do anything to prove there are wolves in NY... there are not!

• Like 2

I live 11 miles from Woodhull and I haven't heard any rumors of any 150 pound wolves ( or ANY wolves) being taken around here.

I have seen perhaps a dozen wolves while hunting in Alaska and northern Quebec.

That critter looks like a coyote to me.

• Like 2

If you look at this logically... if wolves were introduced into NY when the first accusation came out many years ago we would be overrun by them... wolves are pack animals... that's how they survive... they live in family units that produce many pups a year... any introduction, even a small pack would soon have created enough wolves where sightings would become a common occurrence... that hasn't happened anywhere in NY... much like bigfoot... there is NO real evidence of even one wolf in NY since the first accusation many years ago... if you believe there are you are at worst delusional and at best just don't know what a wolf looks like or anything about them... it isn't rocket science... just common sense.

• Like 3

Look at the UP in Michigan. They introduced wolves there and now they are being overrun by them. Wolf packs grow quickly,especially when they have an abundance of prey, like they would here in NYS. Hunters would know about wolves being in the area very quickly. This is something the DEC could not hide.

OK I own two 130# shepherds (vet scale)....that is obviously not nearly 150#'s ....as to possabilities.... the throwing around of..... this isn't so and that never could be..... drives me nuts....so here are a couple of links to the impossible and to address to previous statements on yotes not being "pack " animals..just a family group 0f 4-6 thing... lets not forget .."they are more afraid of you... then you are of them " " Never agressive towards humans"..bla bla bla.....Tell that to the 19 yr. old girl from Toronto that was killed by a pack......I'm not saying he has a wolf there...but seeing, pics to disprove it were posted...look at the wolf pack link picture...that guys holding a wolf....Just stop saying things are impossible...even scientists have figured this out to be not so

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354445/Super-pack-400-wolves-kill-30-horses-just-days-remote-Russian-village.html

http://q13fox.com/2014/08/01/coyote-pack-chases-man-and-his-dog-video/

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/26/16707745-coyote-pack-chasing-pets-smashes-door-of-home-in-chicago-suburb

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

OK I own two 130# shepherds (vet scale)....that is obviously not nearly 150#'s ....as to possabilities.... the throwing around of..... this isn't so and that never could be..... drives me nuts....so here are a couple of links to the impossible and to address to previous statements on yotes not being "pack " animals..just a family group 0f 4-6 thing... lets not forget .."they are more afraid of then you are of them " " Never agressive towards humans"..bla bla bla.....Tell that to the 19 yr. old girl from Toronto that was killed by a pack......I'm not saying he has a wolf there...but seeing, pics to disprove it were posted...look at the wolf pack link picture...that guys holding a wolf....Just stop saying things are impossible...even scientists have figured this out to be not so

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354445/Super-pack-400-wolves-kill-30-horses-just-days-remote-Russian-village.html

http://q13fox.com/2014/08/01/coyote-pack-chases-man-and-his-dog-video/

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/26/16707745-coyote-pack-chasing-pets-smashes-door-of-home-in-chicago-suburb

I really hope your not trying to dis-credit the few on here that have all the answers?. Nah, I know you would not think of it.

Great Info!

No I'm just saying...what I have been trying to get across for years...Animals do not act the same in all areas as the human "play book" reads....We show our own "pack " mentality when going through life relying on the "singular information" that is feed to us by others...instead of opening up our self to explore the possabilities....to see the diffences in information to real world trueths.....Animals are more intune with this world then we will ever be...they move and when needed...... be it a few or thousands of miles. So we do not understand why the natural survival instincts in their "home range" may kick in to cause a migration...we don't live there....but it happens...don't think that 1 lone mnt lion moving might not be the start of a trend...that the increase in wolves in the mid west won't cause a movement East....Our coy-wolfs started out in Canada...and traveled railroad lines to get to NYC...our moose traveled here and are increaseing ...BTW don't think Elk won't move up from PA...migration isn't just for birds you know... :rolleyes:

interupted (sp)

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I really cant tell in the original post if that is a eastern yote or a wolf. Is it possible that the trapper hadn't put down the animal and it is still alive in the photo? This might explain the distance between the trapper and the animal for the photo. I certainly would not get close to a animal in a trap and break my concentration to pose for  photo I tell ya.  

There has been only once that I  could say I may have seen  a wolf in the wild. Northern Adirondacks, Canadian border still hunting through an over grown recent clear cut edge. Snow on the ground. I heard a branch snap and a flash of movement going left to right about 35 yards in front of me. I raised my rifle into position to be prepared to see a doe 100lb or so and she was getting the hell out of dodge. 10 seconds or so after on the same trail another movement following the doe fast. It was the same size height and weight by my guess, only when it got to the opening where I identified the earlier doe it was a canine. Darker than the original post photo for sure. But it happened so fast, I was baffled by what I just saw. After a few minutes I went to check tracks. Definitely canine and as big as my fist in the snow. I followed them for a bit. The canine faded off the right of the doe track then I found the canine track come back to the doe's trail from the left. I figured out eventually that I was not going to see it again, but I found two sets of canine tracks at the same time crossing the doe's trail back and forth switching sides like herd dogs. Very exciting event.

This all reminds me of what my grandfather told me about white tail deer. When he was a kid, he once saw a whitetail deer while wandering the woods.  It was a big deal and he was pretty excited and ran around telling everyone. He received a response much the same as post #90 above.  The population back then was almost non existant (at least in his land area. Cant speak about the rest of the state). People would laugh and think you lacked some common sense if you saw a white tail deer.