Buffalo taken in 7j

irish_redneck

I live about 45 minutes from the area this happened, Buffalo from both the Onondaga & Oneida Indian lands have escaped only to be rounded back up eventually.  Looks like this is just a case of one that was never caught.  This kill looks like it will be an awesome memory and a cool tale at the hunting camp!

Had a similar story happen around here a few years ago from one of the game farms when a bunch of bison escaped.

I thought more than one got shot, and I don't know what happened to the shooter, but if I remember correctly they had no problem with these things being killed on sight for public safety reasons even though they encouraged folks to keep their distance if spotted and alert authorities instead.

http://archive.wgrz.com/news/article/161780/1/Missing-Bison-Still-Roaming-In-Wyoming-County

I had an encounter with a buffalo about ten years ago but I was asked by the State Police to be available to shoot it if needed. They and the county sheriff office didn't have a gun capable of dispatching it if it came down to it.

The critter was an escapee from a farm and was in a State Park with campers on site. I helped put the plan together and even requested a State Police chopper be brought in to assist.

The Buffalo NY zoo put together a tranquilizer and a gun then IIRC a DEC employee darted it after we used the chopper to push it out of the thick brush. My chore was to protect the innocent; me and a Sako 375 H&H were ready to do the job but weren't needed when it was all said and done.

I'm just trying to help officer.......... :)

Edited by Lawdwaz

Then why when the reporter called the DEC to confirm it would they not give any response to he reporter?If the hunters called the DEC and had the go ahead from Jim Bob the DEC officer and the reporter called the DEC to corroborate the story then they should give them some sort of info saying yes we said its ok.Instead they say nothing so when the backlash starts they have the open door to back up and say we didn't say it was ok for anyone to shoot the buffalo.Now do I believe the DEC said it was ok?yea I do.Do I believe that the owner of the Buffalo can or would bring up charges for destruction of personal property?Yea I could see some people doing that.I have no idea how much $$$ a buffalo cost to raise but I bet it isn't cheap.

Then why when the reporter called the DEC to confirm it would they not give any response to he reporter?If the hunters called the DEC and had the go ahead from Jim Bob the DEC officer and the reporter called the DEC to corroborate the story then they should give them some sort of info saying yes we said its ok.Instead they say nothing so when the backlash starts they have the open door to back up and say we didn't say it was ok for anyone to shoot the buffalo.Now do I believe the DEC said it was ok?yea I do.Do I believe that the owner of the Buffalo can or would bring up charges for destruction of personal property?Yea I could see some people doing that.I have no idea how much $$$ a buffalo cost to raise but I bet it isn't cheap.

I can offer some insight. ONce AC took office, he made a policy change that darn near all public/press worthy information had to come from the central office in Albany. Prior to this, regional offices could run their own ship for the most part when it came to press requests. Generally they are routed through the CPS person, and up to the relevant contact in the region. Now, a press request gets you nowhere without an Albany green light.

This issue has been so big that member of the state outdoor writers assocations have voiced strong concerns about it a few years back. It isn't changing anytime soon, so now the protocol is to go to Albany to get the permission in, and then wait for the call back from the appropriate contact (which likely isn't the right person you really want to be talking to).

A "general" beat reporter not knowing this would get dead ends if he simply tried the regional HQ.

• Like 1

Many years ago I was hunting a farm up north with a few guys, one of them was the son of the farm owner a retired police officer. The son had seen a Sitka deer and the father called a contact of his in the DEC who I believe got with Ag and Mkts and told him that if it was on their farm they could shoot it. They did not want the farm escapees mingling with the local wildlife. While we were doing a drive it popped out and the son shot it. I will tell you what that was some of the best meat I ever had!

I would imagine it would be the same for any non native escapees.

I would say with a herd of buffalo though it would be neighborly to try to find the owner for permission as well or if they were trying to recover the escapees.

The Sitka was not going to be caught and the expense to try to recover it by darting was not going to happen. Incidentally they also mentioned at the time about 10 fallow deer were loose somewhere else and they were fair game too.

That was 20 years ago so may be different now but I do not think so.

With whitetails or non Ny game animals the owner has 48 hours to locate and get the animal back. After that its open season for anyone to harvest. How about the deer fence cut a couple years ago and 7 bucks with 3 or 200inches released. The owner got 4 back the next day with 2 of them the 200's and the other 3 were taken during the hunting season. The last 200 inch buck was taken by a gun hunter chasing does 6 miles from the farm.

The guy that cut the fence was caught and charged. I believe these guys that shot the buffalo are good to go with no further issues!

Well, "Buffalo" are a sacred creature in NY. They should be protected. All other grid-iron creatures bearing the name NY should be exiled to Siberia for where they can graze until the bright light comes for them. Unless said "Buffalo" move to Canada. Then, I say, Open season!

Now that that's out of the way......

I was also under the impression that once a game type animal got off a farm, it was fair game after 4 days. Now, when ostriches get loose...................That's a big frikin turkey fellas!

Edited by JustRob