Love my new Slug Gun

Northsox65

Got the 12 gauge H&R Ultra Deer Slayer with the Bone-collector 3x9 scope  this yr for my Birthday from my Wife and Kids and this gun is deadly! So far I have shot at 2 deer, used 2 sabot shells and have dropped both deer in there tracks. Never really had a gun like this, nor used a scope before, I am in love! This gun takes deer hunting to a new level, and it is very accurate at 150 yards. The county I hunt in is shotgun only and now that I have this gun it can stay shotgun for all I care!

• Like 4

I have never seen a deer with a collar on in the woods yet, If you bow hunt on Cornell land closer to town you might see them.  I hunt on Cornell land out behind the Airport, according to all the reports we are suppose to be overrun with deer, well I guess they are in the city limits where we can't hunt! Once you get out of the city limits you might see a deer or two all season.

Each gun is unique in the ammo it likes, but generally speaking, if you like the Hornady's, you'll love the Remington Accutips.

I researched long and hard for a dedicated slug gun for deer. Mass produced options for accuracy generally come down to the Savage 220 or the H&R Ultra Slug with the bull barrel. I have the ultra slug with the thumbhole and bull barrel. Tack driver and I really enjoy shooting it.

The Accutips are generally regarded as being a match made in heaven for the ultra slug. It's by far the most popular selection; hornady gets pretty mixed results. Don't hear of too many people say they prefer the hornady over the accutips once they try both.

Seeing you're from Ithaca. How many deer out there getting shot have a radio collar or whatever those things are ? We go there every year in July and all the suburban deer we see have them .

My nephew shot one this year on my property just outside of Dryden, NY. She was quite the traveller. :-)

Zhe Wiz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 12 gauge H&R Ultra Deer Slayer with the Bone-collector 3x9 scope  this yr for my Birthday from my Wife and Kids and this gun is deadly! So far I have shot at 2 deer, used 2 sabot shells and have dropped both deer in there tracks. Never really had a gun like this, nor used a scope before, I am in love! This gun takes deer hunting to a new level, and it is very accurate at 150 yards. The county I hunt in is shotgun only and now that I have this gun it can stay shotgun for all I care!

It sure is sweet when you find a gun (especially a slug gun) that you like. My question is where did those two shots hit on the deer? People often talk about "knock down power" but it's usually a function of hitting certain bone or parts of the body such as the scapula which I believe in the shoulder drops them, but other shoulder shots at times are not as deadly.

I aim to miss shoulder but to get both lungs and only once in my life have I knocked a deer over with this shot (oddly enough it was this year ML using a new Parker Ballistic Extreme); but they all die quickly with a double lung obviously. It will be interesting to see if these Ballistic Extreme continue to transfer energy such that it knocks pure lung shot deer over which has been contrary to my experience. 

• Like 1

Over the years I have tried to aim for the heart and lungs/vitals area on the deer and many times the deer run 50 to 100 yards, sometimes they expire sooner, however its amaizing how far a deer can run when shot in the vitals. About 5 yrs ago I met an old crusty hunter in the woods and we got to talking and he said he has never had to track a deer in his life because his Father taught him to aim for the neck. I took that advice and the last 10 or so deer that I and my son have killed dropped within 10 feet of being shot. I know that I lose maybe a neck roast, however I know that I will be dragging a deer out of the woods and spend hours tracking.

The shoulder blade will put them down on the spot but wreck lots of meat in doing so, therefore I always avoid that unless hunting up along posted land or near other hunters. They will go down in their tracks with a shot behind the shoulder, and in front of the diaphragm, if the bullet impacts when the heart is on the compression stroke (about 1/3 of the time). The cardio-vascular system can not handle the pressure spike and the lights go out immediately. The caliber, etc. is somewhat irrelavent, but the increased shock of a good bullet and better energy transfer does up your odds of the put-down.

It sure is sweet when you find a gun (especially a slug gun) that you like. My question is where did those two shots hit on the deer? People often talk about "knock down power" but it's usually a function of hitting certain bone or parts of the body such as the scapula which I believe in the shoulder drops them, but other shoulder shots at times are not as deadly.

I aim to miss shoulder but to get both lungs and only once in my life have I knocked a deer over with this shot (oddly enough it was this year ML using a new Parker Ballistic Extreme); but they all die quickly with a double lung obviously. It will be interesting to see if these Ballistic Extreme continue to transfer energy such that it knocks pure lung shot deer over which has been contrary to my experience. 

I would guess I've killed better than 15 deer with the 275gr Parker BE over the past 5 years or so.  I don't think I've missed a single one and can only think of one that needed a second shot; this guy...........

Hunting2010072.jpg

Shotgun and muzzle loaders have an amazing selection available of bullets and loaded cartridges today.