Deer are completely nocturnal

Glats109

I have been hunting piece of woods for 8yrs never had a problem filling a tag during rifles season. I saw few opening day. But since haven't seen anything. I haven't got many pics either. In 22yrs this has been my worse rifle season. Hoping for better luck durning muzzleloader season.

Stay away from your plot and cams. If your there most days they learned that.

I've seen deer most sits this gun season, but 25 years on same spot makes it easy..... Dropped another tonight.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Stay away from your plot and cams. If your there most days they learned that.

I was thinking along those lines............seems a lot of guys are in the woods more than they need to be prior and during the season, this may not be the case here, so just a thought.

I hate vampire deer. But, you can still kill one....Here's what you do:

Use a bow with wood shafts, try to get ASH shafts. Dip your broadheads in garlic sauce. Go to the local butcher and get a pint of blood and hang that near your stand, blind w/e. If all else fails, call Buffy!

Seriously, are you just looking at the trail cam pics? Or are you using the pics and then scouting where the deer are moving to and from? Use the pics, and then get in that area and see what direction the tracks are going. Then set up where the bedding/feeding areas are.

What time of the night are you getting the pics? If soon after dark you might want to try and locate trails that lead to it and hunt deeper down the trail. If your getting them much later id say they have a cozy spot on a neighbors and  just aren't getting to your spot till late. Just my 2 cents for not knowing your property. I don't believe they are being nocturnal, my dad saw a really nice buck around noon Saturday walking across the wide open hardwoods.

Edited by zag

Little more info on the property...

I have a 2 acre food plot.

In the early season I had plenty of deer sightings but 90 percent of them within the half hour before sundown. 

Once the third weekend of october hit and the days got shorter it was like a switch hit and we started seeing nothing.

I do not live on the property so I'm not there very often.

The other day i was so angry that i got a spot light (no gun) and climbed into a viewing stand i have that is over looking the food plot. From 345 AM to 6 am i saw 10 deer in and out of the food plot. Once the sun started to come up they were gone. 

I sit on the trails that i follow in the snow coming to and from the plot, and i see literally nothing...

Are they bedding on your property? That would be my first question. If they are not and you have the acreage start creating some bedding cover. To me it sounds like they might have u patterned and are bedding farther away from the plot.

• Like 1

Drive the thickets withe some friends.if your goal is to get deer it's very effective

It's true, at this time in the season, that is a very effective way of seeing those deer that are into the super-survival mode. I am not a real big "drive-guy", but no one can argue the effectiveness of the technique when the deer are locked down.

Not trying to sound rude, but that is typical deer behavior. Especially for this time of year. You need to get off the plot and hunt thick cover where they are staging before entering the field after dark. Scout! Then hunt! You will learn alot. Sitting on a plot is for TV hunters

It makes sense that when the deer aren't going to come to you.. you need to go to them.. if you're sitting and waiting this time of year.. you might just be wasting a lot of time. If you're going to sit and wait... find a spot that overlooks a thicket, swamp, or any area that deer would feel safe... on gloomy mornings you may just catch deer coming back late from over night feeding...