Who will going out in the rain?

bowtech2

I killed the biggest (weight) buck of my life in a steady rain on election day of 2004. 219# dressed, 46 1/4" around his chest. He had me patterned & had given me the slip for 3 years since I grazed his neck in 2001. But I stayed in the covered tri-pod stand hoping the rain would ease up. At about 10:10 AM he must nave figured I had gone back to the house as usual & went for a stroll.

For some perspective, I stand 5'10 & weghed about 285# in that picture.

BigBuck2004compressed.jpg

Bottom line is that deer are in the woods rain or shine & they often move in the rain as long as it's not a downpour.

• Like 3

I have a stand tucked into a pine that does a great job shedding the rain, as long as the wind doesn't blow too hard. I'll be out as long as I can take it. My best two bucks to date were both killed in a cold, hard rain.

Bundle up and enjoy the last day!

Before pulling out the muzzleloader, that is.

As long as its not a down pour I go out.I use a tree umbrella and usually also raingear.Killed a doe this year up north opening day of muzzleloader,also had tons of other kills and close encounters with deer on rainy days.Turkeys also,the biggest turkey I have ever seen to this day came out to my right silent in a downpour.It was a warm spring day and the rain didn't bother me.He strutted in and sat in a strut for a few minutes and walked away the same way he came in.I never did get a shot.Just remember that they live in the rain,they cant go home and seek shelter like we can.In a steady but not heavy rain its business as usual for wildlife

No Biz, Pa doe....I shot one Monday and another one Tuesday.

I  could have shot 2 bucks that I THINK were legal, but couldn't  get a good enough look at the racks to be sure.. One was well outside his ears and  was probably an 8, but I was not positive, so I did not shoot.. Last thing I want to do is to walk up to a downed buck thinking " I hope he's LEGAL.."...LOL...A buddy of mine shot a 4 point a couple years ago with an 18" spread.

In the thick shit where I usually hunt, you generally only get one good opening for a shot, with 2 or 3 seconds to execute it.  If you spend that time trying to count points, your opportunity is usually gone.

Oh well... I don't need any more antlers and I have two nice, prime does for the freezer.

• Like 1

My youngest shot the biggest buck of his life in the rain. My oldest shot his 8 pointer in the rain. My first 8 pointer was shot in the rain. Not to mention the best kept secret is going on right now, breeding. You bet we're out there.

We work with the weather we're dealt, LOL.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

How long I stay out depends on how wet I end up.  Jacket keeps water out, Pants, not so much.

Have to choose between two evils for the boots:

• insulated and not water proof with a squeaky last in one boot
  • insulated and water proof with a hole in one outsole, but quiet to walk in