Small hidden winter plot opinions

I need some opinions. I planted brassicas turnips and clovers earlier in the season and they obviously didn't last long. Now I'm thinking of going to a winter plot. Was thinking winter rye. What are your opinions and when/ how should it be done. Very rocky and don't have access to a tractor so I'll be using a small 3HP tiller and picking as many rocks as possible. As I've been hunting this season I started seeing less and less in my plot so that's my reasoning for a winter plot and I'll be using my new home made blind house on it. And although my GF and I got our first deer in this plot we want to see more next year. was seeing 8-10 a day opening of bow and went 3 weeks into opening of rifle before seeing anymore deer which were the 2 we shot. 2 spikes just over a year old. Thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our plot now is only 10 yards by 8 yards lol was running out f time and it's hidden in the woods can't get a tractor back there. I don't mind using the smaller tiller it's like 26 inches wide but y only problem is the rocks. It's a stone quarry so I'll be hitting allot and doing damage to any moving parts so we will be picking up rocks for a while. So turnips and radish are good for winter? When would I want to plant those? Like august?

during gun season it is hard to get deer coming into a food plot during daylight hours, don't think that because of what you planted is the reason for a lack of activity just remember how pressured they are at this point. but brassicas and turnips are a great late season attractant and are easy to grow, usually start planting late July into August.

Before I hit the stand...

You need to know the soil  before making decisions...ph...and the basic 3...also the light and rain...trees soak up a lot of available water and canopies shadow plots...the sun moves and at different times of the year is at a different angle...what it looks like now it will not look like in spring summer and fall....the leafs will fall and bury the plot if not looked after......that is a small area and if clover is planted it will be dirt by mid bow...turnips will last until first frost..... bulbs until a week maybe two later...winter rye and wheat will keep trying to grow for a while but will remain cropped....either cut open more area...or go with planting  mast trees with some clover under neath until it produces...never smaller than a semi dwarf...or two real tree chestnuts...

Ya I don't think what I planted is a reason they are not hitting it. And I understand that gun season they are pressured that's why I'm trying to see what options I have. There are allot of acorn trees and I feel like they stopped hitting the plot once acorns started falling. I still have a good strong deer run that I managed to get deer to take through my area that they didn't take at all last year. But I was hoping with as low of deer population in the area that I could try to bring them in and give them a reason to stay here. I've tried all kinds of scents and calls throughout the season with no such luck but I'm hoping if I go with turnips and winter rye next year they might stick around or come to this area more often. From what I've seen this year was a slow one for allot of people and my buddy who butchers only got like 20 deer throughout opening weekend and he usually does 30-40. Hopefully next year will be better

Oh and I have been cutting down a few canopying trees but don't know exactly how many to drop because I want the deer to feel secure around the plot. I'm probably just going to open up a big area and hope they don't stay away from the wide open. I'm right on a field edge with maybe a 20 yard by 20 yard area kinda open and there's a thick wall between the field and my spot I'm hoping they hide out

Our plot now is only 10 yards by 8 yards lol was running out f time and it's hidden in the woods can't get a tractor back there. I don't mind using the smaller tiller it's like 26 inches wide but y only problem is the rocks. It's a stone quarry so I'll be hitting allot and doing damage to any moving parts so we will be picking up rocks for a while. So turnips and radish are good for winter? When would I want to plant those? Like august?

Smaller food plots are just as good and they tend to be better in late season I think. Food runs more thin in the cold. If your seeing 8-10 deer a day thats good numbers.

Once the guns start ringing the deer move at night a lot more.

Growalot would be the guy I would talk to about food plots. I have saw really nice pics he has put up from his plot. Some of the best on here thats for sure.

Good luck.

Lol..That would she...Anyhoo...here's what I do to get Sun but still make the area not look so open....go in and cut those trees at chest height in late winter...this does 3 things....makes it look to the deer like the area hadn't been that disturbed...the tall canopy is gone..and 3 depending on trees...maple...ash....etc.... resprout in the spring and that not only give more head high browse....but kinda hides you in the stands....then slowly remove them over time(years).

Also going farther away(direction of Sun) and hinging trees making a bedding area from plot ....dropping those trees will also allow more light...think about what the shadow of a tree looks like...take out tall manageable trees

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Agreed, keep planting the brassicas and turnips. I have food plotted for about 7 years now and they eat these until they are gone( the leaf first, then the tuber in the ground- all winter long). Smaller secluded plots work best for daytime sightings i think. My 1-1/2 acre plot will last until the march-april time frame when they begin to decompose .. Whitetail institute brand "tall tine tubers" and "winter greens" is my preferred choice. I mix them together because I feel there arent enough turnips in the "winter greens" bag. Tall tine Tubers is strictly turnips. A tad more pricey but a Deadly combo!! Plant last week July - first week August. 

Anything is better than. Nothing. But with a small plot it does not matter what you plant is going to be stripped before late season. Girdeling trees is also an alternativery to let light in to get a larger plot,and they will dry and season while standing and can be cut years later for firewood that is dry. Raking around trees ,removing g leaves and just scratching soil can give you a much larg er plot of winterrorism rye.

They have a web sight...and I have used them as well...but to be honest and the guys at WHT Tail Instatute will tell you this as well...You HAVE to have the conditions pretty close to perfact...they are hybrids bred in perfect conditions...

Go to Welter Seed and honey Company..on web....they will sell smaller bags and and have good prices ...they are regular ag turnips and forage turnips but  will grow a bit better in less than perfect conditions ...also  try Hog radish....thesewill help break up your soil deep...bring up and deposit nutrients at ground level saving you some time and work and money...You can also dble crop let turnips grow then late season a couple of weeks before frost...walk WR over them just before a good rain ... try not over spending on fancy seed until you see how regular seed will grow first and how the deer react to what you plant...besides...IT TAKES TIME FOR LIME TO WORK...and in a wooded setting a little will be needed each year do to leaf decay

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DS........ if you haven't........ take the time to go several pages back in the main thread and look at the posts...I love my pics, so there are many by me, but there are also many by others..Fantail has some great pics showing the type of plots I like....these will set you on a very good path toward what you want to achieve.

DS........ if you haven't........ take the time to go several pages back in the main thread and look at the posts...I love my pics, so there are many by me, but there are also many by others..Fantail has some great pics showing the type of plots I like....these will set you on a very good path toward what you want to achieve.

Where is the thread? Can you post a link?

you will only know once you plant it.  You can do all the reading about plotting but you will learn from your experience.  Some said soybeans under 3 acres can't be done..etc...many factors goes into it  i.e. deer density, ag area, natural browse to name a few.  Give it a try and learn from it.

In your particular situation, I do not know the answer. What I do know, is Winter Rye will grow just about anywhere, will stay green, and can be browsed heavily. Deer love it.It will also improve soil. It is definitely a winter food plot.