How was your 2014 season

bowtech2

Personally I had a good season thus far.  I saw the biggest buck I've ever seen in NY while gun hunting.  Unfortunately he was chasing a doe and I never got a clean shot opportunity.  We saw deer every day we were out and my nephew shot a buck last weekend and my dad was there with us to share in the moment.

I'll give it another go next weekend with the ML and hopefully I'll get my first deer with a ML!!

• Like 1

Saw many deer during bow, (passed several small bucks). Saw 3 deer opening day, shot 1 doe, never saw another deer the rest of the season and hunted fairly hard...Worst gun season I can remember.....Personally, I think it was weather related, but i am no expert.

I'm off to hunt ducks in Louisiana, or I would hunt with ML.

Let's put my season on the FEMALE scale...

A perfect season would be a Halle Berry...

The worst possible season would be a Rosie O'Donnel...

My season was a Marylou Fernbender...

You probably don't know her...She wasn't all that great but she had a couple points of interest...

• Like 4

Did not see 1 deer in the woods. They are all living within 500' of the road. I saw 20 deer from the road. I screamed at them. GET BACK IN THE WOODS !!!! where I can blast you. But they didn't listen.

Now I know why people road hunt.

I wanted to stop, and load my rifle so many times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hunted every weekend except for one I seen 2 small bucks during bow and passed on both of them didn't see any doe. I seen 2 doe opening day of gun season and took one of them the last weekend I pushed a 5 pt to my friend worst season ive ever had but ill still get out for a couple afternoons with the muzzle loader

• Like 1

I have been out everyday but 2 sence october 1st maybe only a few hrs sometimes and I've had my best season ever considering I've never got one with a bow before and got 2 this year with bow then never shot one with a rifle and have 2 now with rifle also....only down fall is that have not seen any bucks sence opening day of gun. I missed one with bow. Missed one opening day but other than that nothing...still a week of mz left and have 1 doe tag my either sex and my reg season tag left....really want 1 more for the older gents freezer and would love to put one in mine also. Good luck to those who will be out maybe we will get a dusting by end of week...

Edit....and had the coolest rut experience I've ever had this year when I had 6 different bucks including a 10 pt running stupid around a section of pines durring bow season without shot opportunity. ...that made me hooked to archery hunting

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 1

I shot my best buck yet.8-point, green scored a few inches lower than my best. A bit more spread & mass, longer brow tines,but lost out on G-2 & G-3 tine length.  My '09 8-point had ridiculousy long tines for the overall size.

Also, at 190#, within 29# of my heaviest buck from '04.

I might have him mounted. I'm getting older & this is the 1st buck I've killed since my son started seriously deer hunting with me. He has a very symetrical rack.

• Like 1

If we are talking filled tags ...A pitiful season...never have I not filled at least one doe tag....

That's said.... I christened x bow with a donation 6pt. and it made my season...I messed up on a doe miss in bow and with the 243.Will be changing ammo next season and the bow was short due to forgetting range finder. I passed tons of fawns....and many small buck. Cams let me know they are out there...but all went nocturnal and stayed that way all season. The doe normally regroup...That never happened this year...saw way more buck than doe fawns yet again this year...

So tell me why the turn in fawns? Well it ain't over yet!

Edited by growalot

Mines not over yet because I have a smoke pole, got a doe with the bow and a doe on my first rifle kill. I usually hunt shotgun area. Made a few mistakes on a 6 point and 5 point or I'd be tagged out! But I had fun getting out there and that's all that matters for me.

Got a doe with my muzzleloader opening day up north and a doe the 3rd day of rifle southerntier. Past that its one of if not the worst season I have ever had for deer numbers seen.I usually see at least one nice buck(ear width or wider) and have yet to see one.Deer sightings are cut in half from normal and most deer coming in way late at night.Still have till the 16th to get it done so I may still reclaim my season

...saw way more buck than doe fawns yet again this year...

So tell me why the turn in fawns? Well it ain't over yet!

Supposedly, when habitat is pressured and/or there is an overpoulation issue, the ration of buck to doe fawns will skew towards more buck fawns. Just something I read somewhere.

Had my Best season ever took a 2) doe in NH one bow & on rifle

& 1) 8 point Buck in NY bow

+ took the Rifle doe with my longest shot to date 165 yards with the Ruger American .308

still have a NH archery buck tag but our season ends Dec 15th & not sure if I will get out much

• Like 1

Saw tons of deer during bow season. Kept getting busted or they stayed out of range. Had one jump the string on me when I did get a nice shot. Then I didn't see a darn thing during gun season.

If I use Pygmy's woman scale, my season is Raquel Welch. She kept teasing you into thinking you might finally get to see a nude scene but it never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Saw tons of deer during bow season. Kept getting busted or they stayed out of range. Had one jump the string on me when I did get a nice shot. Then I didn't see a darn thing during gun season.

If I use Pygmy's woman scale, my season is Raquel Welch. She kept teasing you into thinking you might finally get to see a nude scene but it never happened.

I like the Raquel Welch season ... Just the anticipation alone would be worth it.:)

Holy sweater puppets, Elmo..!!..

I'm surprised that at your age you REMEMBER Raquel Welch...

I barely remember her myself, and I can remember when Moby Dick was a MINNOW !!

I had a great season. Killed a nice little six and a doe with the bow (new bow and first year with thumb release, glad I got to "test it out"), and a doe with the rifle. I mixed in some duck hunts and didn't stress out about missing time in the deer stand. Solid season. Ready for 3D now and late duck season

• Like 1