Shooting more than one buck

upstatehunter

A- it's illegal

B- it's greedy

There was a guy a couple of years ago that shot a nice 3 year old during gun season, then shot a mature 8, and couldn't help himself when a spike came out too. I still regret not calling him in.

Edited by sampotter
  • Like 1

The old saying that 10% of the hunters kill all the deer holds true. I have deer around me all the time and i have people on the land with me that only see a few. Just because your dad has a tag does not mean he will kill a buck and if you kill it for him that is one more that would not have been harvested. Now times that by the hundreds of hunters that do just this every year and you will see how many bucks may have lived to see their next birthday! 

• Like 4

At least we see again why so many gun hunters can be called slobs.  

And no one mentions that when the 10 to 15 village idiots get together to trespass (ah, I mean drive), they all know that it's very unlikely all 15 will kill bucks. Therefore, they shoot every thing they see and there is no "is that the buck I want" decision because they know the tags are pooled. Sure, if they get to buck 13 or so, those who already shot buck 'probably' won't shoot their third or fourth but until they get to their max'd out tag it's game on. And save me the song about how that does not happen in your group, especially considering the posts above. 

Buck in archery, buck in regular season, buck in ML... no wonder our avg buck take age is 1.5 years. ALL for the bravado of "got my buck". 

one could contemplate if rules were different all day & every day.  bottom line is rules are rules.  almost all of them having a valid reason for being what they are.  breaking the rule is only that... breaking the rule.  horrible part of it is by breaking rules that the rest of us follow, they're selfishly putting themselves above the rest of us, in the sense that they can do it but we're not supposed to.  it most definitely would make that person a jerk in every sense of the word.  that's the worst part of the whole offense.

• Like 1

I might as well throw this out here in this thread.. I would like to see a 2 buck tag system that we can fill during any season with the 2nd tag having a restriction of 4

point or better(hell i'm fine with both of them being restricted, but I know most aren't)... If they go to a one tag system I might as well not unpack my hunting gear

until the 2nd week of Nov for the southern tier trip. Otherwise I might see a shooter and have  to cancel ..  As a rule I try to wait for an 8 point or better for my 1st

buck if successful I wait for a "book" buck during firearm season...... So far that has limited me to one buck a year anyway....lol

I would be willing to compromise and wear bo too if that helps..I would even where my pink underwear . to give the coroner a shock if I happen to get unlucky and

hit by a ricochet...lol

Approximately 650000 big game hunters,everyone gets a buck tag ,but not everyone gets a buck.nor will they ever. 2 buck tag system (if you bow or muzzloader hunt) any one know how many take 2 buck legally? .as for 2 being taken in gun illegal is illegal.

Why is it unacceptable that some people ask why the rules are the rules? Some of you folks need to relax.

I'd bet some of those same people that need to relax are also against the safe act and bitch and moan about it. By your own standards you must be criminals. You question that law on this site openly so therefore you must be violating it.

Food for thought. Take it for what it is.

Im a criminal because I question a law that is unconstitutional? Please.

Theres a difference between asking what the law is and saying what difference does it make if I break it. To me, it seems like someone either trying to justify their desire to break the law, or just stirring the pot to get everyone riled up. NYAntler hit the nail on the head. Might as well say whats the difference if I jack a deer at night? It will die anyway.... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

At least we see again why so many gun hunters can be called slobs.  

And no one mentions that when the 10 to 15 village idiots get together to trespass (ah, I mean drive), they all know that it's very unlikely all 15 will kill bucks. Therefore, they shoot every thing they see and there is no "is that the buck I want" decision because they know the tags are pooled. Sure, if they get to buck 13 or so, those who already shot buck 'probably' won't shoot their third or fourth but until they get to their max'd out tag it's game on. And save me the song about how that does not happen in your group, especially considering the posts above. 

Buck in archery, buck in regular season, buck in ML... no wonder our avg buck take age is 1.5 years. ALL for the bravado of "got my buck". 

Uh no, its 2 bucks in NY. 1 in EITHER early archery or late archery/ML and one in regular gun.

Pooled tags? Tresspassing? Shoot everythig they see? I really hope you arent saying that everyone that does drives acts in any of those ways. The past 3 years in a row I have passed on multiple bucks on drives, and I have never shot a deer I didnt have a tag available for. Niether have the guys I do drives with.

At least you didnt say all gun hunters are slobs though.

• Like 1

My neighbor Old Agnes fills her tag every year even though she can walk and can't see. Actually, I'm not even sure she remembers she fills her tag each year.

As far as self-righteousness, I thought I was good at it but since joining this forum I've learned I am just an amateur.

Wow this year especially... has been a real eye opener...and I seriously thought I may be a tad cynical because of ppl around here...NO...it's hunters in general I see...N wonder I run into so many hunters! that say they hate hunting season anymore....have gone from gun to bow just to see bow season get just as irritating....

Biggest pet peeve...lease guy good example...wife then had her girl friend go get archery certified...because wife gun tag just wasn't enough for him...and girl friend gun hunts...Then he offered to buy the girl friend tag...this is his routine...practice on the smaller bucks early with wifes tag.... building confidence for when the big guy shows up...he shoots several buck a year then brags about the big buck he tags...even puts them in the record book when possible...never mentions those little ones though...his wife doesn't gun and never bow hunted and the girl friend doesn't even own a bow...Now take him and multiply him by...How many???  I'm thinking now way more than even I imagined....Ya...we should all be proud...before you say it...remember?..."Wheres the proof".......

OH holy cow how did I nearly forget...this guy has everyone convinced that he tags ONLY mature buck...which is actually true. He then runs down other hunters and even his out of state relatives about shooting "scub bucks and dinks" them being the reason he doesn't see as many big buck....really?

Edited by growalot

Would love to see OBR or if a two tag system, similar to IL in that you can kill your two bucks and you are done (minus antlerless). Don't need to spread the wealth over bow/gun/late. If that was the case, I'd probably not hunt deer with gun any longer.

What about a draw system in NY? Imagine NY was like Arizona or other states where you don't get a buck tag every single year. Might only get a buck tag every 3-4 years or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

What about a draw system in NY? Imagine NY was like Arizona or other states where you don't get a buck tag every single year. Might only get a buck tag every 3-4 years or more.

A 1/3 or more of the herd needs to be turned over each year to break even on growth.

I don't think AZ has that kind of rate because it is not necessary.

• Like 1

Im a criminal because I question a law that is unconstitutional? Please.

That was my point. I was being sarcastic.

So many here immediately jump to that conclusion just because a guy wants clarification on why a certain law exists.

Theres a difference between asking what the law is and saying what difference does it make if I break it.

I think they're the same question except that if you break it you're also doing something illegal.

To me, it seems like someone either trying to justify their desire to break the law

That's definitely not a fair assumption although you're clearly not alone with that line of thought. It's also one of the reasons there's so much negativity on many forums, not just this one.

A 1/3 or more of the herd needs to be turned over each year to break even on growth.

I don't think AZ has that kind of rate because it is not necessary.

Yea I don't know the numbers behind it. Just find it interesting that some people out there have to draw for every species. If choosing good units, Might hunt deer once every 4-5 years, elk once every 9 years, antelope once every 12 years, etc

Why would drivers pool tags?...when they use to drive at camp it was tag what you shoot and if you were a stander in the morning ....You were a driver in the afternoon ...giving everyone a chance at a deer...I don't get the pooling deer meat either...seems a bit back wards to me.....