Shooting more than one buck

upstatehunter

Why would drivers pool tags?...when they use to drive at camp it was tag what you shoot and if you were a stander in the morning ....You were a driver in the afternoon ...giving everyone a chance at a deer...I don't get the pooling deer meat either...seems a bit back wards to me.....

Really isn't a need for us anymore since there are so many doe tags issued in the areas we hunt now but it was common practice growing up when you needed 2,3 or 4 hunters on a doe permit. One guy got to shoot and then the meat was all split. Like I said, we don't do it any more but do give deer to any of our group that hasn't been able to connect

Its illegal how dare you.  Give me a break.  The fine for using somebody else s tag is less than a speeding ticket.  How many of you (  I would never do it it is illegal) dorks have went over the speed limit.......

So the fine isn't enough of a deterrent? I personally don't know what the fine is for shooting bucks I don't have tags for, I just figured that I wouldn't do it because it is illegal.

Finding yourself 5 MPH over the speed limit is a lot different than pulling the trigger one more time...

• Like 2

I remember the party tags...but the "party" was always family members and meat was always divided because we cut it up together...many guys at camp don't use the deer they shoot so who ever wanted what they shot got it...camp owner first refusal thing...

We had a young guy at camp brag about all the buck he shot on others tags one season...then said some whined about it....... but it was because of jealousy...last time he and his family ever came back to camp....

Edited by growalot

So the fine isn't enough of a deterrent? I personally don't know what the fine is for shooting bucks I don't have tags for, I just figured that I wouldn't do it because it is illegal.

Finding yourself 5 MPH over the speed limit is a lot different than pulling the trigger one more time...

No It really is not.  You have any idea how much a speeding ticket is for going like 15 mph over the speed limit in some towns?  It is ridiculous.  I am not saying I am a poacher and I do this stuff because I do not but it is just funny to me how people act all innocent with the hunting rules. 

Plenty of people here seem to not have a problem with the concept of shooting multiple bucks or other peoples tags; so to say I see people pooling their tags is not pure speculation. It's what I see. And my post said "village idiots", so unless you are one, you should not be insulted. Look, I'm grumpy because I deal with what I deal with and it's not isolated. I've got hidden cams, have caught trespassers, have witnessed first hand shots at deer sprinting straight away and just this past weekend broke up a drive from guys who walked a long way to be where they should not be. I don't make things up; I just wish less nonsense was out there and people had more discipline and restraint. 

agreed...but it's just getting worse....retract that....it's always been this way...... but now it's out there in the open...ppl can see it across the web..... which makes it seem worse. Reality should be....... a showing of distain for this stuff openly,  would cause a reversal ...but it isn't...

JFB, my comment that you were speculation was about your comment that "And I slam drivers because so many of them are the ones pooling their tags and that's illegal."

I don't believe there are any more drivers "pooling" tags than other style of hunters. Actually I am aware of more bow hunters that do it than gun hunters.

• Like 1

Today this should be a non issue since NYS gives out 6 trillion Doe Tags, however back in the day when we lived on Venison to survive and you could only shoot Bucks there was always 3 or 4 bucks hanging on the pole with my Sisters/Moms tag attached to the horns. We had a family of 13 to feed and eldery neighbors who depended on the meat or starve.

No It really is not.  You have any idea how much a speeding ticket is for going like 15 mph over the speed limit in some towns?  It is ridiculous.  I am not saying I am a poacher and I do this stuff because I do not but it is just funny to me how people act all innocent with the hunting rules. 

I would be in favor of a sliding fine scale similar to what Midwestern states like Illinois have. A base fine for illegally killing a deer and then additional $ for different levels of rack score. In addition- the fines would be applied the same way to ANY illegally killed deer, whether it be spotlighting or simply shooting a buck you don't have a tag for...

• Like 2

It has always been that ten (10) percent of hunters kill ninety (90) percent of the deer year in and year out. I also know from people that I talk to that the Bow hunters are more likely to take more than one buck with the bow than gun hunters because it is so much easier to do and not get caught. I know there is good and bad in all types of hunting , but Bow hunters seem to stand out more than others. If I had any say about the laws I would vote for one deer, buck or doe, per season period. That way everyone would see more deer and more bucks  I know the Bow hunters are going to jump on me for saying this , but it a fact of life and I know what I am talking about because I have hunted with a bow  for fifty (50) some years and have seen it first hand.

• Like 1

That was my point. I was being sarcastic.

So many here immediately jump to that conclusion just because a guy wants clarification on why a certain law exists.

I think they're the same question except that if you break it you're also doing something illegal.

That's definitely not a fair assumption although you're clearly not alone with that line of thought. It's also one of the reasons there's so much negativity on many forums, not just this one.

I might agree if I had based my opinion on one statement, but the fact that he kept wording it differently and asking over and over makes me scratch my head. He didnt ask why the law exists, he asked what difference does it make if I break the law. Theres a difference.

If you dont want to hear a negative reaction to a question about breaking the law, you shouldnt pose it on an internet forum.

It has always been that ten (10) percent of hunters kill ninety (90) percent of the deer year in and year out. I also know from people that I talk to that the Bow hunters are more likely to take more than one buck with the bow than gun hunters because it is so much easier to do and not get caught. I know there is good and bad in all types of hunting , but Bow hunters seem to stand out more than others. If I had any say about the laws I would vote for one deer, buck or doe, per season period. That way everyone would see more deer and more bucks  I know the Bow hunters are going to jump on me for saying this , but it a fact of life and I know what I am talking about because I have hunted with a bow  for fifty (50) some years and have seen it first hand.

I've honestly only ever seen gun hunters do it, but method of take doesn't really matter. Laws are laws, doesn't matter how you break them...

You would never achive the necessary population control that way.

• Like 4

Agree - but I would like to see a one buck limit per year.

Agreed, Here is you buck tag, use it in any season you wish. But they do need to really ramp up the fines associated with taking multiple bucks on others tags and other forms of poaching. Otherwise it just creates an environment to breed more of the use of others tags.

• Like 2

Agreed, Here is you buck tag, use it in any season you wish. But they do need to really ramp up the fines associated with taking multiple bucks on others tags and other forms of poaching. Otherwise it just creates an environment to breed more of the use of others tags.

Your point it well taken.  Even if only the law-abiding hunters complied, I think it would result in better quality bucks over time.  I would like to think its a small minority of hunters that poach or use non-transferrable tags.

Frankly, I am all for ramping up penalties for poachers and cheaters regardless of whether we have one or two buck tags.  Revoke license privileges for a year and two and that may be a sufficient deterrent. 

Is the cost of the fine the problem or is it simply that there aren't enough officers to actually catch people.

I think it's the latter.

I suspect both.  The greater the penalty, the greater the deterrent IMO.  Some will poach regardless, but those on the fence may very well think twice if they know they are out of the game for a few years.

• Like 2

Is the cost of the fine the problem or is it simply that there aren't enough officers to actually catch people.

I think it's the latter.

Look up some of the bigger bucks poached in states like Ohio or IL, or Iowa, or Kansas.

Shoot a whopper...enjoy that $30,000 fine....$30,000......kind of hard to not pay the government. Garnish wages, eat up tax returns. It hits the wallet hard and gets press.

• Like 2

I'd vote for a simple penalty.

You poach in NY, you lose your hunting privileges for life.

Do we think that a poacher that is shooting out of season or with an illegal weapon or on posted property or possibly even without a license will be deterred by losing their license? I don't see it. They are proving they don't care to follow the laws. Now if you slammed a heavy, scaled fine system along with MANDATORY confiscation of all property used in the crime I think you may have something. While we are at it, is it possible un NY penal law to make poaching much more that a violation?how about a misdemeanor?  Or how about a felony and we all now what that means for firearm ownership in the People's Republic of New York.