hang fire

martin hunter

Same here i can only fit my breach plug hole on my omega with a pin, a 1/8" sounds huge.I would not recommend drilling out the breach, just get a pin and push it through. If its really blocked then use plyers to hold the pin and push through the breach plug hole. Has always worked for me and will most likely remedy your issue assuming all your powder and primers are good.

The breach hole is a pin sized hole!!! The hole leading to the breach plug hole after the primer is a 1/8 inch hole funneling the flame to the smaller breach hole and powder or pellet

209 primer size, 1/8 , then pin hole

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

You need to keep an eye on the breech plug.  I decided, at the last second, to check the plug, before taking my ML out for the first time this year. The pin hole was rusted closed. No way the rifle would have fired. And this was after I had given the rifle, and plug, what I thought was a good cleaning before storing it last year. It took quite a while to clear the pin hole. I never would have been able to do it in the field. 

Keep your hole clean   LOL!!!

I read this and said hmmm. Something I never knew????

Then I got my box of Hodgdon triple 7 pellets out and looked at them and read the box and pamphlet with it , and there is no mention of this..

Where did this information you posted come from.??

My bad. I never used pellets I know that pyrodex pellets were like that.  

Again if your flash hole is open and your getting a hang fire ,your primer is probably too hot. It will push the pellets down the barrel before they ignite. All 209 primers are not the same! This is the most common hang fire when using pellets,and another reason why most serious black power shooters do not use pellets.

Use a torch tip cleaner for the flash hole it is very small. The flash channel is usually 1/8. I have never paid any attention to which way the pellets went in never knew it mattered. Have never had a problem just dropping them in which ever way i grab them. Are you using triple 7 primers? If so that is probably the cause. I got some and everyone gave me a hane fire. Never talked to anyone who didnt have that prob with them. I switched back to cci primers and problem went away.

How long do you leave the breach plug in the soap solution? Does it cause rust over time? I've been using a store bought solution and not completely happy with the results.

if I'm at home and cleaning the gun ill leave it in soapy water over night and wipe it dry in the morning I've never had any kind of rust or anything form on the breech plug.
  • Like 1

Think we're getting into the old scenario of every ML brand &/or model shooting differently. Every ML has a specific load it shoots best. Whether it be granulated or pelletized BP, regular or magnum (hot) primers and sabot brand or style. Not to contradict what some members have said, but some of the advice is just not true with my ML brand & its' favorite load. Think some are even getting into the older style smokepole problems. Enough said..!

As many have already stated, start with a clean & unobstructed breechplug. In case you're overly curious and tempted to saw your breechplug to see how it's made, don't..LOL

post-318-0-35182200-1418635704_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from making sure the breech/ touch hole is clean and clear, be absolutely sure there is no chance of oil residue anywhere. Thoroughly wipe the bbl and pop a few primers, then wipe with a new patch. I find Triple 7 fires much more consistently then pyrodex (and black powder is even better= agreed!). Loose measured powder ignites much more reliably than pellets.