A buck AND a shed!

wooly

Filled my late season tag with the ML this afternoon! Is it the least bit ironic that that when I walk up to my buck I see this,lol
I know he was wearing them both when I shot him. Guess there's a first time for everything, as this has never happened to me before.
But how cool is that, I killed a buck AND got my first shed of the season!

DSC_0628_zps4ca2d3d4.jpg

CSC_0642_zpsba6f3a79.jpg

Here's what he looks like when I put him back together! That stick is holding his horn in place.
I have to check, but I think I have this set of antlers in last years 2013 model!
I have to take some better field photos and get the story up in the morning in the harvest thead.

CSC_0640_zps1172ddfe.jpg

• Like 16

Thanks guys!

So glad it's finally over.

Congrats. Odd that it fell off

I think that is a sign from the shed gods that it's going to be a good season for antlers here!

At first I thought he may have been injured and that loosened up his head gear, but I didn't see anything odd about him.

I found my earliest naturally shed antler on December 12 2013 so he's not too far off that date.

• Like 1

Congrats, Wooly...YOU DA MAN..!!..

A few years back my nephew shot a buck late in the shotgun season. We dressed it and then each grabbed an antler to drag the critter out..The one I grabbed came off in my hand.. I told him to put a rope around the neck so we could get the deer home with at least ONE antler..

• Like 1

Cool Wooly!! How attached was the other side? Fall off while dragging?

You know, as much as I wanted to give it a squeeze to see if it popped off I didn't.

I took extra precautions to make sure it stayed on for the drag home. I thought for sure I was gonna loose it a couple times getting hung up but it made it.

You can see the skin separating from around the base of the attached antler, so he was getting ready to drop them both soon.

Now I need to think of a way to display them together. I got really excited seeing that antler laying there, but then I got nervous when I filled out the tag as 3pt on the right side so I had to get it home in one piece.

• Like 1

Great job wooly! You could have at least stuck the tongue in for the pics! great job man!

Lol-  you have no idea how much it pains me to put those sloppy pics up.

I forgot my little camera remote for field photos and it was dark by the time I got home with him so I didn't get a chance to clean him up first.

Just dug through the horn pile and pulled out his antlers from last year. I knew they looked familiar.

I killed him about 100yds away from where this set layed. Not intentionally after him there, but pretty darn cool it worked out like that if you ask me!

large.jpg

• Like 6

Nice job!

I killed one back about 12 years ago on the last day of regular season that had the same issue.  When he hit the ground he lost one horn, the other came off when I grabbed the remaining horn so as to gently lower him to the ground.  They hang in the basement and were used for rattling for a couple years.

• Like 1