2014 Adirondack Buck (Tracking)

sampotter

Thanks everyone for all the compliments!

Wow.  You really deserve that buck.  He is a beauty!  To my mind there is nothing like a big ADK buck.  I really appreciate you sharing some of the photos.  I have had some luck with mock scrapes.  It is really neat that you have photos of him using your mock scrape.  I am throwback and haven't used trail cams yet.  Job well done!   Congratulations! 

You're missing out on the trail cameras- think of it as a catch and release trapline. Some of the pictures, animals, behaviors, etc. will amaze you. Plus, when you do get a good buck on camera in your area it gives you the most ingredient needed for any successful pursuit: HOPE.

You are my hunting new hero (used to be Wooly). I hunt the Adirondacks briefly every year. It is tough going and any buck taken there is a trophy.

Hear that Wooly? Just kidding, I'm flattered but I don't have any grey hairs so I can only be a hero to someone who can't drive yet... 

Congrats on a great buck!  You'll have to let us know if you get the story published.  

I will for sure.

That's AWESOME!  What type of APP did you use to track your "track"? (pun intended) 

No APP- Garmin Rino 655T, my 3rd GPS so far. I log waypoints for anything and everything I think I may be able to use at a later date. Rubs, scrapes, shed antlers, buck beds, mature mast trees, you name it. Carrying a GPS is also the reason I can name the precise # of miles I walked last spring in search of sheds: 226.1

Edited by sampotter
  • Like 1

First of all congratz on your accomplishment! That is a nice deer but even more impressive is the hunt itself.

I do have to ask what did you do once you got him though to get him out? How far from a road were you or do you backtrack out?? I sure as heck would not want to drag a buck back on the hike you made to get him!! Do you B line to the closest road and call a friend and would you be lucky to have cell coverage.....Or do cut it up and pack it out, even boned that would be 100 pounds plus with head and cape.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

I ended up killing him 1/4 mile from a different road than I started him on, so I used a sled to get him out. At other times we were a lot farther from any road, which is why I carry a 30 something gallon food grade plastic bag (just like a contractor garbage bag but clear) and a nylon feed sack, both rolled up and in my game pocket. I've carried out more deer than I've dragged; no sense in lugging out all those bones and hide!

I ended up killing him 1/4 mile from a different road than I started him on, so I used a sled to get him out. At other times we were a lot farther from any road, which is why I carry a 30 something gallon food grade plastic bag (just like a contractor garbage bag but clear) and a nylon feed sack, both rolled up and in my game pocket. I've carried out more deer than I've dragged; no sense in lugging out all those bones and hide!

Nothin to better pucker your butt than cutting up a deer by yourself in the pitch dark in bear country! Lol lot safer doing that in the Dacks than the Northern Rockies or Alaska!

Well done