Climbing sticks

ajdal94

Sticks are all I use any more, except for home-built ladders in more permanent setups. I don't even remember the manufacturers of the ones I have because it's been a few years.

I prefer the kind that stack together to make a ladder rather than the ones where each piece attaches separately to the tree. Just my personal preference though.

Steel is cheaper than aluminum but heavier, and 20' is not too high, although I have 15' sets as well. Whatever you use, preseason practice and familiarity is critical so that you can make setup quick and quiet.

Best of luck to you

Well said.

I have one set I use and another I don't. The ones I use are from Gander Mtn, Gorilla maybe? The ones I don't use are from Lone Wolf. I just didn't feel comfortable with my big feet on those little pegs. I'll probably sell them at some point.

PM me on those LW sticks, my youngest lives in Amherst finishing up her Masters at UB, sometime prehaps she can get them .thanks

I use LW and I have a set of muddy's it prefer the LW , easier to pack in and out and for me they stay in place better. This year was my first with the Muddys one kinda pulled away from the tree , moved around a bit, there ok I'll still use them really like LW.

I have a set of Lone Wolf sticks and I love them.  They set up quiet and easy and it sure beats carrying and setting up a noisy and heavy climber.  They're a little awkward to carry into the woods- I bungee cord them together and then either carry them or strap them to my backpack.

PM me on those LW sticks, my youngest lives in Amherst finishing up her Masters at UB, sometime prehaps she can get them .thanks

I use LW and I have a set of muddy's it prefer the LW , easier to pack in and out and for me they stay in place better. This year was my first with the Muddys one kinda pulled away from the tree , moved around a bit, there ok I'll still use them really like LW.

PM incoming

The only reason I said that 20' isn't too much is that you can always leave one or even two sections off, or at home if you don't need the height. Nice to have on hand if you do need it though. A couple of rungs above your stand height is a good idea when you're wearing winter gear as well, so you need to plan for that.

I like the stack-together kind because you can build them up into the tree. Top section goes up first, held in your hand, while you put the next lower section under it. Repeat. Stealthy and quiet. When the whole 'ladder' is in place, tie the rope from the hang-on stand to one side of your belt and the pull-up for the weapon du jour to the other side and fasten the 'ladder' to the tree as you climb up. Pull up the stand, hang it, climb on and pull up the weapon. Done right it's almost noiseless and very quick, but practice is key.