WNY Bowhunter's 2015 Shed Journal:

WNY Bowhunter

Decided to pull out the shed collection for a few preseason pics...

To date = 145 antlers with the majority (110 of them) coming from the past 5 years of serious shedding...

z1227141608.jpg

z1227141613.jpg

z1227141613d.jpg

Three best deadheads...170" 17 pt...antlered doe...137" 8-pt

z1227141612.jpg

In the center are two rows of matched sets = 24 to date

z1227141613b.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 7

Hopefully by the end of this season you wont be able to see any carpet!

Good luck filling in all that dead space!

Sweet pile.

I'm not certain how this year is gonna go.  The warm weather so far has kept the deer spread out which makes the shedding tougher.  I've made a couple of quick outings so far but won't get serious till the end of January...

That's a lotta dog chews right there!!

You guys really impress someone like me who has never found a shed. I have found dead heads. Then again I only have a couple spots and do not look a whole lot. I did go out twice last end of last winter in a spot specifically looking for one from a bunch of bucks I had on camera but no go.

Gosh dang, the old boy in the back left has some mass! I remember you posting his sheds for a few years. What did he ever score out at? Nice collection. I'm guessing I have roughly the same amount, but not sure. Have you come up with any great display ideas? (I personally don't care for shed piles, nor the little shed display brackets.)

Finding that guy last spring was definately the pinnacle of my shed hunting career to date. I've never had him "officially" scored (my numbers are usually pretty accurate)...I came up with 170 2/8" gross nontypical. His bases are 8 1/4 & 8 1/2 around the corona/burr!!!

IMG_20140517_215428_257.jpg

IMG_20140422_133238_3215.jpg

I still have his jaws...I should probably send his incisors in to be aged. I figure he was at least 8.5 yrs old.

Sheds are from 2011 rack...2012..2010...

IMG_0171n.jpg

The set of sheds on the bottom were from his 2008 rack I believe...

2010-12-311sshghg.jpg

• Like 1

That is a very nice collection of sheds! By just dumb luck over the years, while doing some post season scouting I've found four singles. Never a matched set. Are there certain areas to focus on like hemlock stands, field edges, bedding areas or fence lines that may be productive for actively looking for sheds? I'd like to get out there and give it a try!

That is a very nice collection of sheds! By just dumb luck over the years, while doing some post season scouting I've found four singles. Never a matched set. Are there certain areas to focus on like hemlock stands, field edges, bedding areas or fence lines that may be productive for actively looking for sheds? I'd like to get out there and give it a try!

I'd say that around 75-80% of my sheds have been found laying out in fields. Typically, I begin my shedding around this time and start out concentrating on hayfields (mostly clover but combined corn or beans are good too) where the deer feed during the night. It's helpful to have snow during this period so that it concentrates the deer and you can easily tell where they are focusing their feeding activity. I do a lot of scouting this time of year in effort to locate groups of bucks. If you find an area that is full of sign but only has does residing there then you won't find any sheds no matter how much time that you put in. I have several such fields that I walk every few days during Junuary when most of the bucks are dropping their antlers. I just cruise around the fresh sign looking for tines sticking up. As you get into March when the snow melts I finally hit the woods and brushy bedding areas. As you noted, I've found quite a few around hedgerow s and along wood edges.

Here are a few examples of what to look for...

0309141436.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1113-1.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_1034rtr.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

0411141420.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...