best electric grinder -200

fisher2

I just bought this grinder. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012KJBR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've done 2 deer so far in the last few weeks. I do not have experience with any other grinder except an old beast from the 60's my grandpa had. But it's easy to clean. Has no problems or lag grinding so long as you chunk the meat up a little and isn't very loud. Machine says 2" cubes and I was probably closer to 4". I believe there's a decent warranty. I have not tried sausage yet, but the grind went well. I did a double grind using the larger wagon wheel first than second pass with smallest hole.

Including vac seal and cleanup I'd say <2 hours to do a deer.

I use an old "Enterprize #12" grinder that likely started out as a hand-crank model, but which my grandfather added a 1/3 hp electric motor and gear/pulley reduction back in the 1950's. I cant even guess how much beef and pork he ground with it, over 30 or so years, and I know I have close to a hundred deer thru it myself over the last 30. It takes standard blades and knives available at Bass Pro, etc. I replaced those about 10 years ago, for about $20 total, when it started to plug occasionally on sinews & such. It hasn't plugged since then, and it will swallow good size chunks of meat as fast as you can feed it. The time required to grind an average deer is about 20 minutes.

Cleanup is a breeze, as all the inner workings slide right out after loosening a set screw and turning out a ring nut on the front. You can move those to the sink for a quick cleanup, or put all the parts in the dishwasher. The main housing can be scrubbed out in minutes, still mounted to the stand.

Converted, motorized grinders such as this were quite common back in the day, and it should not be overly difficult to locate on craigslist, garage sales, farm auctions, etc.. The knives and screens are really the only wear part, and they are usually all made to the same standard, that still is used on today's electric grinders. All you need to specify when ordering for your "antique" is the grinder size (#10, #12, #22, etc.). Other than the knife and screen, the only other problem we had with ours was a burned up motor in a house fire, and another corroded and shorted when the basement flooded. Used, 1/4 to 1/2 hp, 1750 rpm motors are easy to find for $10 or less. (I never actually paid for one, as my dad and father-in-law both have good stockpiles they have scavenged from various old machines.

Grinding with that old machine is definitely my favorite part of the butchering job. Skinning is a pain, as is cutting the meat off the bones, trimming off the fat, and vacuum sealing (at least my wife usually does that part). It just seems like magic, quickly turning all those rough and ragged chunks of meat into fine-looking, lean grind.

I have looked at a few modern stainless grinders, and have not been too impressed. It does not appear that "you get what you pay for" there anyhow. I have $20 and almost a hundred deer in mine, so I know I got what I paid for many times over. I would be quite surprised to see any of them cheap looking units sold by Bass-Pro, Cabelas, Gander, Dicks, etc, hold up like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Not many things (other than firearms) will last a lifetime even at a high price.  I have a low end Cabelas unit that cost roughly $100.  It was on sale about 4 years ago for about $80 and I then purchased it with my Cabelas points, so it was basically mine for free.  I have been very pleased with it.  I don't grind up every bit of my deer, so for me it is all I need.  If it clonks out in another year or two, it will be no big deal, but so far it hasn't.  I can't see spending a fortune on a grinder if you are going to use it for only a couple of deer a year.  The cheap ones will work for that too.

i've decided on this one, seems to be the most highly rated http://www.amazon.com/STX-INTERNATIONAL-STX-1800-MG-Patented-Electric/dp/B008LFAS08

i got the model down. Did 3 year this year and honestly I can't feed it fast enough. It's quiet and quick. Just a thought. Could save you some money and it's still all metal gears and great quality. I think like anything in life you just need to take good care of it. I clean it thoroughly and let it all dry and followed the instructions for care to a T. Recommends you keep the plates matched with the blade. I bet a lot of guys dont do that.

Edited by Belo